PDA

View Full Version : Jointer Fence Issue

Dimitrios Fradelakis
12-24-2013, 11:48 AM
Hi all,

Trying to make the fence on a 8 inch jointer square to the table by using a stabila brand level. Throwing the brand out there to show that this isn't some Borg purchased item. Now the level shows one setting for square but when I use my starett square to see where it stands so to speak its way off. Which one from the two would you trust when it comes to squaring your fence with the tables on your jointer?

Jeff Duncan
12-24-2013, 12:29 PM
I'm confused as to how a level is helping you square the fence??? Take a trusted square, set the fence, start jointing;)

Leave the level for…..well…..leveling things:rolleyes:

good luck,
Jeffd

Bruce Page
12-24-2013, 12:53 PM
Agree with Jeff, use a square and forget the level.

Jason White
12-25-2013, 9:41 AM
I would only use the level to see if both tables are coplanar/parallel with each other and make adjustments by turning the eccentric bushings for each table (if your jointer has those). The level should be plenty straight enough for this, but make sure the plastic caps on each end of the level are removed or they will throw you off. I made that mistake once; very frustrating!

Hi all,

Trying to make the fence on a 8 inch jointer square to the table by using a stabila brand level. Throwing the brand out there to show that this isn't some Borg purchased item. Now the level shows one setting for square but when I use my starett square to see where it stands so to speak its way off. Which one from the two would you trust when it comes to squaring your fence with the tables on your jointer?

Jason White
12-25-2013, 9:43 AM
What he said! ;)

I'm confused as to how a level is helping you square the fence??? Take a trusted square, set the fence, start jointing;)

Leave the level for…..well…..leveling things:rolleyes:

good luck,
Jeffd

glenn bradley
12-25-2013, 10:05 AM
Another vote for the square. While I use a level to see that a machine is . . . well . . . level before I start aligning things, a square and a straightedge are my tools of choice for actual alignment. A bubble level is a little "loose" once you get to those tolerances.