PDA

View Full Version : Something besides Helmsman poly?

Joe Shinall
12-23-2013, 9:18 PM
I am getting into using a lot better finishes than I use to and I just finished some porch signs and used old faithful Helmsman poly. I don't like this stuff but it's the only thing I can find local that says exterior. Well next time I plan on using something better.

I really like water based lacquer, as I just used some for an indoor project recently and fell in love with all the characteristics, especially the fast drying and little to no sanding between coats.

I do have a Kobalt spray gun and a huge compressor so I can spray, though I will have to test on some scrap to get it right.

What are some good options for exterior applications such as porch signs or similar? I have heard Target has some nice stuff.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-23-2013, 9:24 PM
Joe,

I finished a white oak swing with Epifanes marine varnish. http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/search_subCategory.do?categoryName=Varnish&category=36&page=GRID&engine=adwords!6456&keyword=marine_polyurethane I bought it from Jamestown distributors. Good people with whom to do business based on my experience.

I have no relationship with them other than being a satisfied customer.

Sam Murdoch
12-23-2013, 10:21 PM
Joe,

I finished a white oak swing with Epifanes marine varnish. http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/search_subCategory.do?categoryName=Varnish&category=36&page=GRID&engine=adwords!6456&keyword=marine_polyurethaneI bought it from Jamestown distributors. Good people with whom to do business based on my experience.

I have no relationship with them other than being a satisfied customer.

Good marine finish - can't be beat.

Joe Shinall
12-24-2013, 12:23 AM
Thanks for the tip Ken. I will definitely check that out. How long does each coat tend to take to dry? How many coats did you end up applying?

Jason Roehl
12-24-2013, 6:09 AM
Joe, there are exterior waterborne polyurethanes available. They are somewhat spendy--I think the last time I bought some it was over $20 for a quart locally, but some of the good marine spar varnishes can run triple that for a quart. The waterborne poly will impart much less of an amber hue than any spar varnish will, though--some brands are very close to clear (since you mentioned signs).

Ken Fitzgerald
12-24-2013, 9:14 AM
Joe, I put on 3 coats. I put on one coat per day. As indicated by Jason, this does give the wood an amber hue but it really did go on well with a brush. I don't spray.

John TenEyck
12-24-2013, 9:20 AM
Epifanes is great stuff, but it takes 7 coats and each takes a day to dry. It's also pretty amber in color. About $45/quart, too. You might want to look into General Finishes 450 Exterior Poly, which is most acrylic. Waterbased, very clear, sprays beautifully, very good reviews.

John

Howard Acheson
12-26-2013, 5:14 PM
Joe, what are you finishing that requires an exterior finish? Exterior finishes have their own set of problems. For example, any polyurethane finish is problematic in an exterior environment. The UV in sunlight quickly attacks the urethane causing it to become cloudy and more amber. Then it begins to crack and peel necessitating a refinishing to restore the protective and appearance of the finish. What I'm saying is the Minwax Helmsman is a poor choice. If you need an exterior finish go to a real marine supply store and look for products from Interlux, Z-Spar. Pettit and, best of all, Epifanes. There are all non-poly, top grade marine varnishes and will give you the longest life.

Joe Shinall
12-27-2013, 10:58 PM
Howie, I made a couple of outdoor signs for a few of my friends' daughters. They were Fairy Garden signs. Wasn't worried too much for long term, they'll probly be thrown away in a few years. But that's why I was asking for a better finish. Thanks for the advice everyone.