PDA

View Full Version : Ribbon Box

Jim Underwood
12-23-2013, 6:47 PM
I think I'll tell the wife I spent the weekend wrapping her present.
4x4x4"
Maple and walnut ribbon box. Ripped, planed, laminated, scroll sawn, routed, assembled, sanded, broken(twice), and finished with conversion varnish.
I think the bauble will fit nicely into this box.

George Bokros
12-23-2013, 6:57 PM
Very nice work.

Malcolm Schweizer
12-23-2013, 7:45 PM
Now that's just cool right there!

Bruce Page
12-23-2013, 7:45 PM
There's a lot of work in that box. It looks great!
Bauble?

Michael Peet
12-23-2013, 7:59 PM
Your box is better than any gifts I've made this year. Nice work ;).

Mike

Jim Underwood
12-23-2013, 8:00 PM
Oh. The bauble is the "real" present. This is just the wrapping. Actually "the bauble" is a piece of handmade jewelry I bought at the last high end craft show. Then I got the bright idea to make this box to put it in. Y'know, knock it out in a few hours kinda idea? Right. 16 hours later.... Well I did make a pen at the same time. That ca glue finish is a pain in the you know what.

Also the box is based on a free plan by scroll saw guy, Steve Good. Modified of course. Steve's plan is all scroll sawn.

Shawn Pixley
12-23-2013, 8:26 PM
Beautiful box. Your wife should be extremely happy.

Mel Fulks
12-23-2013, 9:04 PM
You must really HATE wrapping stuff ,to get that creative! Don't forget the name tag with poem!

Rick Markham
12-25-2013, 5:32 AM
Really spectacular box! I love the Ribbon, it really really sets the box off! Spectacular work, the wife will be smitten I am sure, irregardless of what is inside!

Ralph Okonieski
12-25-2013, 10:03 AM
Very, very nice ! Nice combination of woods. Well done !

Jim Underwood
12-26-2013, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the compliments. My wife did indeed love the box. Made all the frustration and swearing worth it.

Bill McDermott
12-26-2013, 6:57 PM
Jim,

Your attention to the surface on the inside of the ribbon loops was noticed and appreciated. This is the only time I will ever say to you... "nice package". Well done.

Bill

PS - Your comment above lend itself to unintended but amusing misinterpretation. :)

Jim Underwood
12-28-2013, 9:06 PM
Hmmmm. Not sure I understand how it can be misinterpreted, but I will say that it definitely wasn't the wife doing the swearing. :-D

And lord yes the sanding of the ribbon was tedious. When I finally got the thing all assembled and sanded, the center bow broke off. That accounted for a great deal of the swearing.

keith micinski
12-28-2013, 9:09 PM
Maybe I am misinterpreting you now, but I think he ment that the cursing and frustration could have been at your wife all these years and not the box which is how I originally interpreted it the first time I read it:D

keith micinski
12-28-2013, 9:10 PM
By the way I don't see how anything inside of the box could have been as cool as that ribbon is.