PDA

View Full Version : Connect (basicly) headphones to AV receiver and still use speakers

Larry Browning
12-23-2013, 1:51 PM
I can't seem to find the answer to this anywhere on the internet. (I probably don't know what to search for)
My wife has severe hearing loss and is getting new hearing aids that have a feature that will allow transmitting of sound from RCA audio out connectors directly to the hearing aid. However, we have a home theater setup where all my various devices (DirectV, bluray player, ROKU, etc..) are connected to an AV receiver via HDMI cables. The Video is passed to the TV via another HDMI cable and the sound plays through the speakers attached to the AV receiver.
My AV Receiver has RCA audio out connecters, but it says that they only work for devices connected to analog in devices, which seems like it would not work for me.
I cannot use the headphone out jack because it will mute the speakers whenever something is plugged into it, and having the the normal sound on is an absolute requirement for this.
Does anyone know of a way I can make this work? I keep thinking there has to be some simple way to do this, but so far, no joy.

Duane Meadows
12-23-2013, 5:13 PM
Larry, I can't think of a "simple" way. Defeating the the mute functionality, of the headphone jack would likely be the easiest. Some times speakers outs on TV's are hot(not isolated) so that isn't a safe idea to tap those! Even if not there are impedance and level matching to be concerned with.

HDMI has digital rights management embeded is the reason they don't feed that to the RCA outputs. Without looking at the schematic for your AV receiver, wouldn't want to venture a guess.

If the headphone jack is printed circuit board mounted(and it probably is) even that is somewhat complicated.

Also the issue of voiding warranties.

Jerrimy Snook
12-23-2013, 5:26 PM
I typed hdmi to rca audio converter into Amazon search and came up with this.

http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Premium-Audio-Extractor-Converter/dp/B00AHS8LD8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1387837473&sr=8-3&keywords=hdmi+to+rca+audio+converter

Larry Browning
12-23-2013, 5:28 PM
Not being an audiophile and just a casual user of all this stuff, all I want to do is tap into something that is putting out the same thing as the speakers all the time, regardless of the input. I really don't want to know why that is so hard, I just want it. I have a Yamaha RX-V671 receiver if that helps. At one point I thought I could tap into the zone 2 speaker output, but that also is analog only. I have even wondered if there was some way to just put a microphone in front of the speakers to pickup the sound that could be sent to the headphones.

Larry Browning
12-23-2013, 5:40 PM

http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Premium-Audio-Extractor-Converter/dp/B00AHS8LD8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1387837473&sr=8-3&keywords=hdmi+to+rca+audio+converter

Hmm, that might work if the hdmi output from the AV receiver is also transmitting the audio signal as well.

Shawn Pixley
12-23-2013, 5:57 PM
I'm sure you could do it through a speaker selector box with volume control. Run right and left channels from receiver to selector box. Then run speaker set one to your normal speakers. Set speaker set two to a to the output device for the hearing aid.

Shawn Pixley
12-23-2013, 6:00 PM
Many receivers also have multiple outputs for remote speakers as well. Not to be flip, but did you check yours?

Duane Meadows
12-23-2013, 7:20 PM

Looks that should work, as it has HDMI pass thru! Just put it between the AV receiver and the TV. I'll have to keep that one in mind, Jerrimy.

Graham Wintersgill
12-24-2013, 10:58 AM
Larry

Does the TV get sound to it at all times and you just have the volume turned down? if so does it have a headphone socket that you could tap into?

Regards

Jerrimy Snook
12-24-2013, 11:44 AM
Larry, If I am reading the manual correctly, then your receiver will send the audio for the tv either with the HDMI signal or to the analog rca outputs (page 27 top right). Connect your wife's hearing aids to the rca output, route the signal to the rca output and there you go. My one concern would be volume control for her hearing aids. (This would be the same as the hdmi-rca converter I posted earlier.)

It also looks like the receiver has analog recording outputs. These may work as well and are generally always live and would "record" whatever was being output to the speakers. There may be some sort of recording level volume control here.

Burt Alcantara
12-24-2013, 11:59 AM
I have a "sound card interface" that allows me to do this. The card is not a card but an interface box. The one I have is a Focusrite Scarlett. It's expensive and used for interfacing musical instruments. I suggest you go to a Guitar Center and ask them for the cheapest box. This allows you to plug in various devices in and out. Tell them what you need and they will give you the right box. Be prepared to spend at least $50 but possible more.

Larry Browning
12-24-2013, 6:23 PM
Larry

Does the TV get sound to it at all times and you just have the volume turned down? if so does it have a headphone socket that you could tap into?

Regards
Graham,
AFAIK sound is never sent to the TV itself. All devices are connected to the AV receiver via hdmi cables. All the audio is processed by the receiver and is not even sent to the tv at all. Only the video is sent to the tv via a single hdmi cable. So hooking anything up to the audio outputs of the tv will not work.

Larry Browning
12-24-2013, 6:49 PM
Larry, If I am reading the manual correctly, then your receiver will send the audio for the tv either with the HDMI signal or to the analog rca outputs (page 27 top right). Connect your wife's hearing aids to the rca output, route the signal to the rca output and there you go. My one concern would be volume control for her hearing aids. (This would be the same as the hdmi-rca converter I posted earlier.)

It also looks like the receiver has analog recording outputs. These may work as well and are generally always live and would "record" whatever was being output to the speakers. There may be some sort of recording level volume control here.

Let me be clear. All devices are input to the AV receiver via hdmi cable which means that it is all digital. No analog input at all. The manual states that the RCA audio out connector only works for analog input devices. This means that this connector willl not work for me.
Page 31 of the manual seems to imply to me that the audio out only sends a signal from the following inputs:
AV5-6, Audio 1-2 or V-aux(audio). These are all analog inputs.
I suppose I can always just try it and see what happens, but I am not too hopeful.

Lee Schierer
12-25-2013, 8:10 AM
Many receivers also have multiple outputs for remote speakers as well. Not to be flip, but did you check yours?

Most receives have A and B speakers. You can get a female RCA plug at Radio Shack and with a few bits of wire connect the hearing aid transmitter to the B speakers and run both A and B speakers using the B for your wife.

Jason Roehl
12-25-2013, 8:18 AM
Most receives have A and B speakers. You can get a female RCA plug at Radio Shack and with a few bits of wire connect the hearing aid transmitter to the B speakers and run both A and B speakers using the B for your wife.

This.

Whatever male end your wife's device has, get a cord with the matching female end, then clip that end off with a foot or so of wire attached. Then strip the wires back 1/2" and plug them into the B speaker outputs. Start with all volume levels down, and adjust up slowly.

Larry Browning
12-25-2013, 11:50 AM
Apparently I have not communicated my problem very well. Let me try again.
My AV receiver does have an audio out connector as well as a zone 2 output (which is the equivalent of the B speaker). The hearing aid device has the std RCA male connectors which will connect to either of the audio output ports and should work when a signal is being sent to the port. However, both of these output connections are analog and only work when the input device being played is analog as well. All of my input devices are digital and all connect to the receiver via an HDMI cable. The manual clearly states that the output ports will only work when the input source is analog. I think that someone suggested that maybe the reason for this has to do with copyright infringement because there is no quality loss with digital like there is with analog, and the primary purpose of the audio out ports is to be able to record music during playback.
I am afraid I may be out of luck, if I want to use continue using this AV receiver. Someone has suggested that there my be a smartphone app that could help.

Jason Roehl
12-25-2013, 12:07 PM
Nope, totally got you, Larry. What you need is a short pigtail that has female RCA jacks on one end. The other end doesn't really matter because you would cut it off, strip the wires back, then plug those wires into your Zone 2 outputs, turn on both Zones 1 and 2, and adjust the volumes to appropriate levels.

Larry Browning
12-25-2013, 12:18 PM
Nope, totally got you, Larry. What you need is a short pigtail that has female RCA jacks on one end. The other end doesn't really matter because you would cut it off, strip the wires back, then plug those wires into your Zone 2 outputs, turn on both Zones 1 and 2, and adjust the volumes to appropriate levels.
Jason,
I do agree that that should work for all analog input devices, but I think you are missing the part about digital input not being sent to the zone 2 outputs.

Lee Schierer
12-25-2013, 5:40 PM
Apparently I have not communicated my problem very well. Let me try again.
My AV receiver does have an audio out connector as well as a zone 2 output (which is the equivalent of the B speaker). The hearing aid device has the std RCA male connectors which will connect to either of the audio output ports and should work when a signal is being sent to the port. However, both of these output connections are analog and only work when the input device being played is analog as well. All of my input devices are digital and all connect to the receiver via an HDMI cable. The manual clearly states that the output ports will only work when the input source is analog. I think that someone suggested that maybe the reason for this has to do with copyright infringement because there is no quality loss with digital like there is with analog, and the primary purpose of the audio out ports is to be able to record music during playback.
I am afraid I may be out of luck, if I want to use continue using this AV receiver. Someone has suggested that there my be a smartphone app that could help.

Larry, Plug the cord Jason suggested into the same connections as your single set of speakers. Start with the volume on low and slow turn up the volume until your wife can hear it through her device. Hopefully the volume through your speakers will be loud enough for you to hear as well. You want to connect her device in parallel with your single set of speakers. You should also be able to use any audio out jacks on your amplifier for her device that have the RCA type plugs. If it has RCA type plugs/jacks the output will be analog not digital. RCA jacks look like this. 278080

John Huds0n
12-25-2013, 6:10 PM
Toslink?

Does your receiver have a optical audio out? If it does, you can use a device to covert the digital audio to analog.

(I also have a hearing problem but I use a pair of wireless Sennheiser headphones when watching tv. My 'super duper' tv does not have any rca type jacks, so I use the converter)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004C4WPXA/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Larry Browning
12-25-2013, 11:53 PM
I just checked, my receiver does not have a digital audio out. I am very hesitant to attach an additional output device to my existing speakers, IIRC the manual warns against doing that because it could damage the receiver, plus, it has 5 speakers out plus the sub woofer, so which 2 of the 5 should I hook up to? I am afraid my receiver may not be up to doing this.

Jason Roehl
12-26-2013, 8:33 AM
Okay, what's the make and model of your receiver? (Or, does it have an impedance rating printed on the back? Does it have an impedance switch?)

What is the impedance rating of your main speakers currently connected to the Zone 1 outputs? (It's likely either 4 or 8 ohms, and should be printed on the back where the wires connect to the speakers.)

Larry Browning
12-26-2013, 9:17 AM
Okay, what's the make and model of your receiver? (Or, does it have an impedance rating printed on the back? Does it have an impedance switch?)

What is the impedance rating of your main speakers currently connected to the Zone 1 outputs? (It's likely either 4 or 8 ohms, and should be printed on the back where the wires connect to the speakers.)
It is a Yamaha RX-V671
The manual states that the speaker impedance is set at the factory to 8-ohm but it can be set to 6-ohm min. In this case you can also use 4-ohm speakers as the front speakers.
The Front speakers are Cerwin-Vega RE-20 I have found conflicting information on them. They are either 8-ohm or 6-ohm, but most likely 8-ohm. It is going to be a real pain to look at the back of the speaker due to where they are installed in my cabinet, but I will pull one of them out if necessary.

BTW Jason, Thank you very much for taking the time to help me, I appreciate it very much!

Tim Morton
12-26-2013, 9:45 AM
Does your wife have the option of having the hearing aid streaming take place over Bluetooth?

Jason Roehl
12-26-2013, 10:29 AM
Do you know what the impedance of your wife's transmission device is?

Larry Browning
12-26-2013, 10:52 AM
Do you know what the impedance of your wife's transmission device is?
Not yet, she is supposed to pick them up today.

Larry Browning
12-26-2013, 11:00 AM
Does your wife have the option of having the hearing aid streaming take place over Bluetooth?
She has not pickup her new hearing aids yet (hopefully today) but I know it does have the bluetooth feature. However, my receiver does not broadcast bluetooth. Plus, I do not know if her hearing aids will receive 2 bluetooth sources at the same time. The main reason she wanted bluetooth was to use it with her phone, so trust me, that will take priority with her.

Tim Morton
12-26-2013, 11:15 AM
She has not pickup her new hearing aids yet (hopefully today) but I know it does have the bluetooth feature. However, my receiver does not broadcast bluetooth. Plus, I do not know if her hearing aids will receive 2 bluetooth sources at the same time. The main reason she wanted bluetooth was to use it with her phone, so trust me, that will take priority with her.

there is a optional BT adapter that your Yamaha does support, but if she is already planning on using the phone with the BT, then i agree it may get too messy to try and manage two devices thru BT, its quirky enough with one :)

Larry Browning
12-26-2013, 12:26 PM
there is a optional BT adapter that your Yamaha does support, but if she is already planning on using the phone with the BT, then i agree it may get too messy to try and manage two devices thru BT, its quirky enough with one :)
Knowing nothing about the BT adaptor, but I would think that it would have to plug into one of the audio out ports on the back or the receiver and we are back to square one with the issue of none of the audio out ports supporting the hdmi/digital input ports.

Garth Sheane
12-26-2013, 12:28 PM
Larry, I lost most of my hearing this summer. I now have hearing aids, but they are not very satisfactory for the TV. If I watch a movie, I may actually understand 10% of the words, the rest are just sounds. For Christmas, my wife got me a Sony wireless headset to see if that is any better. It is very simple to set up. I plug the transmitter into the Audio Out in the back of the PVR, and that's it. The volume control for the headset is totally separate from the TV. In fact, the TV can be muted and the headset works. The sound, compared to the hearing aids, is so much improved that I am amazed. My hearing aids amplify all ambient sounds as well as the TV, but these head phones block out this interference. I don't use the hearing aids when I wear the head set, because they wouldn't work anyway.

I know this isn't directly in answer to your question, but your wife and I are in the same boat and I thought my experience might be helpful.

Matt Meiser
12-26-2013, 1:22 PM
Possibly an easy fix--just run a pair of RCA cables from each digital source (Blu-Ray and satellite) in addition to the HDMI cable. That's exactly what I did--now my Denon AVR-1713 uses the digital signal for the main zone and Zone 2 uses the analog signal.

If what she really needs is a headphone jack, plug a headphone amplifier into the zone 2 outputs. http://www.parts-express.com/cat/headphone-amplifiers/3445

Matt Meiser
12-26-2013, 1:23 PM

Isn't that to make BT a source?

Jim O'Dell
12-26-2013, 10:21 PM
Some of the ideas, if I read them correctly, is to transform speaker level output to RCA jacks. If that is what some are saying to try, I disagree. Speaker level output would fry a set of headphones. I hope I've misinterpreted those posts.
Larry, are you sure that the digital signals don't convert and come out of the analog rca outputs? For the receiver to send the sounds to the speakers, it has to have a DAC (digital audio convertor) on board to make that jump. I have the Yamaha RX-V667, and I could have sworn I had it set up to record on VHS, but maybe not. I've never had the need to record since I got the unit, so not positive I've tried it.
Does the 671 have line level outputs for each of the channels so that separate amplifiers could be hooked up and not use the internal amps? Mine does, so I'm sure I could hook into these to send analog information to a separate headphone amplifier. Not all units do, in fact this is a feature that the replacement for my receiver lost. My Samsung TV does have a 1/8" headphone jack that is labeled audio out. Double check your's to see if it does or doesn't.
Hope this fuels some research into something that will work! Jim.

Michael Schneider
12-27-2013, 1:20 AM
Larry,

I was looking at the specs, and it looks like there is a zone 2 line out. This is used to output line audio to another amplifier for another room. You might be able to treat the hearing aid as zone 2 - "another room"

Good Luck,
Michael

(Sorry I missed Matt's post later)... Describes the same approach

Larry Browning
12-27-2013, 8:32 AM
Well, they called yesterday and her hearings aids came in so we went to pick them up, only to be told that they had failed to order the wireless feature and that it will be another few days to get them in.
However, I did manage to get some more information. These do have a feature which has a separate device that can be placed next to the speakers that transmits the sound to the aids. I am thinking this may be the way to go. There is another device that connects to rca jacks that probably would better but if I can't get that to work I do have other options.

Jason Roehl
12-27-2013, 9:17 AM
Larry,

I was looking at the specs, and it looks like there is a zone 2 line out. This is used to output line audio to another amplifier for another room. You might be able to treat the hearing aid as zone 2 - "another room"

Good Luck,
Michael

(Sorry I missed Matt's post later)... Describes the same approach

I downloaded the manual and looked at it. Larry was right--Zone 2 won't output anything that was input digitally. I have a Yamaha receiver in the same series (the RX-V2065), and Larry's Zone 2 is like my Zone 3.

Matt Meiser
12-27-2013, 9:28 AM
But can he also send an analog signal to the receiver in parallel and have Zone 1 use the digital signal and 2 use the analog?

Larry Browning
12-27-2013, 10:01 AM
Even though they had failed to get the wireless feature and had to reorder hearing aids, they went ahead and configured the ones that came in because they can quickly transfer the setting to the new ones when they come in and this will allow her to get used to them. Anyway, she is very hopeful that these are going to work much better than the others. She was actually able to hear the TV at a more reasonable volume last night and understand the dialog much better last night, so getting this new thing to work may not be as important as it once was.
I will update this thread when I know more.

Larry Browning
12-27-2013, 10:22 AM
I just found the manual for the device that connects to the audio source. It is called Surflink Media. If you are interested, here is the link to the download page. http://www.starkey.com/hearing-aid-use-and-care/operations-manuals
Scroll down to Surflink Media to get the manual.
After studying it a bit, it looks like my most likely option with my receiver is to us the microphone. She has the most difficulty with understanding dialog, so my best bet would be to place the microphone next to the center speaker???

Matt Meiser
12-27-2013, 10:26 AM
Unless the dialogue is off to the right, left, or behind. I'd pick up a couple sets of RCA cables and try that first.

Larry Browning
12-27-2013, 12:29 PM
Unless the dialogue is off to the right, left, or behind. I'd pick up a couple sets of RCA cables and try that first.
Matt I am afraid my AV receiver is just not up to the task, No matter how you slice it the digital signal is not going to be sent to any of the audio out ports. I do like you idea of connecting my input devices to the analog input ports though. I am afraid that the only devices that will work with is the Direct TV and the blu-ray player, The other is a Roku 3 and it only has HDMI. It would be interesting to try this with the BD player and Direct TV though. .

Matt Meiser
12-27-2013, 12:45 PM
You could insert something like this (http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011412&p_id=10251&seq=1&format=2) inline between the Roki and receiver.

Jim O'Dell
12-27-2013, 8:20 PM
Larry, I disagree with you on this, but I have no real world "I tried this and it works" experience to back up my thoughts. There is no reason that the line level output shouldn't work. If the speakers can play the digital source going into the receiver, the line level that would send the analog information to another amp to amplify would have to be there. I'd say try it. Now it may not go the the analog record out to a VHS recorder, but it has to to the amplifier out, or there would be no sound on the speakers and therefore no reason to have the line level output. If you have to us the microphone set up, I'd put it in front of the center channel speaker. But keep in mind, this microphone is going to pick up any other noises as well unless it is a decent directional mic. Jim.

Matt Meiser
12-27-2013, 8:34 PM
but it has to to the amplifier out

Not on my Denon, or the much more expensive, piece of junk Integra I had before that, IF its a digital source. Even more expensive one sometimes add a D-to-A converter that will, but low to mid-level models typically don't. Learned this the hard way trying to get whole-house audio up and running.

Jason Roehl
12-27-2013, 9:27 PM
Graham,
AFAIK sound is never sent to the TV itself. All devices are connected to the AV receiver via hdmi cables. All the audio is processed by the receiver and is not even sent to the tv at all. Only the video is sent to the tv via a single hdmi cable. So hooking anything up to the audio outputs of the tv will not work.

HDMI is an audio-video cable. I don't know whether your receiver will pass audio through the HDMI, but it might (probably does). So, I would definitely try hooking your wife's device to the TV. My TV gives me the option of having the speakers on or off in its control menu, but without looking, I have no idea if it has a headphone jack, but there is analog audio out (RCA left-right).

Lee Schierer
12-28-2013, 8:31 AM
According to the pictures of your Yamaha RX-V671 receiver you have an audio out (red & White RCA center back in the photo) on the back of your receiver and also and extra speaker out put (two red & black wire push ins at the far right of photo) 278185. You should be able to connect to either of those places and get an analog out signal.

Larry Browning
12-28-2013, 10:16 AM
According to the pictures of your Yamaha RX-V671 receiver you have an audio out (red & White RCA center back in the photo) on the back of your receiver and also and extra speaker out put (two red & black wire push ins at the far right of photo) 278185. You should be able to connect to either of those places and get an analog out signal.

That is exactly right but it only works for analog Inputs only. All my inputs are digital. So those output ports will not work.

Jason Roehl
12-28-2013, 10:19 AM
Lee, from the manual:
AV OUT jacks
For outputting video/audio to a recording device (VCR, etc.)
when an analog input (V-AUX, AV3~6 or AUDIO1~2) is
selected (p.31).

The two additional speaker outputs are "presence" speakers (or Zone 2), which are a part of surround sound processing, and would probably not have the vocals and main sounds Larry's wife would want, if they worked at all. If they're set for Zone 2, they would only work with certain analog inputs (page 71 in the manual).

Larry Browning
12-28-2013, 6:47 PM
sorry for not replying until now. We had to take an unexpected trip to Dallas yesterday, and we just got back.
Ok, this is what I get for trying to figure out something before I actually get it. As it turns out she did not get the device I thought she was getting. She got the SurfLink Mobile and not the SurfLink Media. I thought she was getting both. We did not get the one with all the different input connections. It seems that the device she did get will work by picking up the sound via a microphone in the device. It is sensitive enough that it just needs to be placed in the room some what near the speakers. We just tried it by setting the device on top of the tv cabinet and she is thrilled with the sound. She says she can understand the dialog better than she has in many years. I think the combination her new hearing aids and the streaming booster device will work perfectly for her.
I am just going to leave this one alone, and call it done! No, new hookup at all, and I can still enjoy the surround sound as usual.

I did learn a few things about the capabilities of my AV receiver and to make sure my next one has the ability to output the digital signal.

Jim O'Dell
12-28-2013, 11:07 PM
Larry, I'm glad it has all worked out for the best. I know that is all any of us really wanted. I'm going to do some research into the digital to analog output thing, but it may be a while. Jim.