PDA

View Full Version : My Chisels

Eric Erb
12-23-2013, 1:08 PM
my first set was Sears Craftsman, with clear plastic handles. They were way better than nothing, but I was glad to move on. I started snapping up anything with a socket, only recently learning more about the makes and so forth, and the little details like how tall the side is. So there's some junk in here, one or two that need a bit of work but could still be servicable, and some nice things too.

so here is a list of my current chisels (those worth mentioning anyway.) Size is inches. So, what do you think?

Size
Make
Type
Mount
BladeShape
Condition

unknown

socket
thickside bevel
new handle

1/2
HSB&Co Revenoc

socket
thickside bevel

1/2
Buck Brothers

socket
thinside bevel
pitting, socket chewed, handle too big

1/4
unknown

socket
thickside bevel

1/16
unknown

socket

ground down from 1/8

1 1/4
Buck Brothers

socket
thinside bevel
very short

unknown

socket

very pitted, socket mushroomed

1/2
Stanley #750

socket

no handle

5/8
Stanley #750

socket

no handle

3/8
Buck Brothers

socket

long, thicker blade

3/8
Buck Brothers

socket

short, thin blade

5/8
T.H. Witherby

socket
thickside bevel
socekt chewed

1/2
C. E. Jennings

socket
thickside bevel
some pitting

1/2
The James Swan Co

tang
straight edge

3/4
Corsair
skew
ferrule and tang
handle mushroomed

3/8
unknown
crookneck skew
tang

bent

Sargent VBM

bevel badly ground

3/4
Buck Brothers

bad grind

1/2
The James Swan Co

long

1/4
Ward
Mortise
tang

chewed bevel

1/8
Ward
Mortise
tang

very short

Colver Brothers
gouge
tang

Buck Brothers
gouge
tang

C. Hill
gouge
tang

unknown
gouge
tang

Marples
gouge
tang

crookneck, very long

unknown
gouge
tang

Jim Koepke
12-23-2013, 1:39 PM
Eric,

If I haven't said so all ready, Welcome to the Creek, even if it has been said before. Your profile doesn't indicate your location. Where on this planet do you call home?

What you have above is what I call a good start.

If you haven't already found the Neanderthal wisdom/FAQs section it is worth your time. At the top of the Neanderthal Haven page is a link to Neanderthal Haven Announcements. The Neanderthal wisdom/FAQs thread is near the top.

Bob Smalser posted an article about chisels that may be of interest to you:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?13734-Wood-Chisel-Survey-for-Beginners-(Revised-For-The-Record)

Since the images are hosted off of SMC, some of them have gone missing.

Do you have a lathe to make handles?

Handles can be made without a lathe, but a lathe makes it much easier.

jtk

Eric Erb
12-23-2013, 7:15 PM
Thanks, Jim it's a great forum. There's a lot of reading to do! This forum is how i even know of any of these brands. Here is the lot of them, well the chisels at least. I've got to get rid of a few of them though, hopefully for a few sheckles. But which ones?

Jim Koepke
12-23-2013, 7:35 PM
I've got to get rid of a few of them though, hopefully for a few sheckles. But which ones?

No need to worry about getting rid of any of them until you have too many to store.

My 'sets' have different bevel angles for different uses. I like a low angle for paring dovetails and such maybe about 20º or so. A bit steeper for mortise work.

It is good to have a set for working around the yard and out of the shop. These are usually the extras and ugly ones.

There are a few kept around just in case a neighbor or friend wants to borrow one. These are usually ones that I do not mind if they do not come back.

A few extra 1/2" straight sided chisels were sharpened with a skew for cleaning out dovetails. Now that there are a few extra 1/4" chisels laying about a couple of them might get skewed or even fishtailed.

My tendency is to also pickup shorter chisels for a set of butt chisels.

It is also nice if you get a bunch of extras you can sell them all at once to raise a little cash for that new shiny tools Lee Valley or Lie-Nielsen always seem to be springing on us.

jtk

maximillian arango
12-23-2013, 7:57 PM
I have plenty of room :D no sheckles though :( just dollars ;)

Eric Erb
12-26-2013, 8:38 AM
>fingers in ears<
la la la
i'm not listening to jim
la la la