PDA

View Full Version : What tools did/will Santa bring you this year?

Rich Riddle
12-23-2013, 1:01 PM
I know it's still a couple days away, but there is no doubt that some of the elves here either opened their tools early or peaked to see what Santa's bringing. So what tools did you or will you be scoring this Christmas?

I am getting clamps and a Shelix head.

Chad Ashton
12-23-2013, 2:18 PM
Just got my first table saw (Ridgid TS2424) on Saturday...I bought it though. I'm hoping Santa will bring me an impact driver though.

Rich Riddle
12-23-2013, 2:21 PM
Chad,

At times it's beneficial to tell Mrs. Claus what Santa should bring, exactly what Santa should bring including manufacturer and model number.

John McClanahan
12-23-2013, 2:35 PM
Santa may do fine with toys, but for tools, he doesn't always understand. That's the logic I used to purchase a Grizzly G5013P bandsaw off of craigslist. It was a year old and still had the rust preventive coating on the table. That's new enough for me!

John

Mike Heidrick
12-23-2013, 2:42 PM
When Santa's sister company, Amazon, allowed for wishlist items from any site on the net, it made Christmas tool accessories much easier. I think all my holiday wishes have ended up at Shars for mill tooling.

George Mathew
12-23-2013, 3:22 PM
santa came just after thanksgiving this year with a jet 1642 for me.
i think he bought that from woodcraft on the 15% off sale.
it was too big to go through the chimney - so he send it through UPS.
i couldn't keep it under the tree - that thing was too big.
...so i opened it right then.

Thomas Hotchkin
12-23-2013, 3:42 PM
Mrs Santa gave early approval for Craigslist score on a Powermatic 1200 Drill Press.

Steve Rozmiarek
12-23-2013, 3:43 PM
Well, it's been a rough year, I'm hoping for a lump of coal to help take the edge off the heat bill...

Biff Phillips
12-23-2013, 3:46 PM
I'm getting some Jet clamps from that 50% off sale, although they are backordered, so they might not arrive until Jan. :)

Jim Andrew
12-23-2013, 7:34 PM
I sent a check to Felder for a 79x48 slider. Won't be here in time for Christmas though. And a good thing with the weather we have right now.

Rich Riddle
12-23-2013, 7:45 PM
I sent a check to Felder for a 79x48 slider. Won't be here in time for Christmas though. And a good thing with the weather we have right now.

Apparently you've been a very good boy and not naughty at all if you get that kind of gift from Santa.

George Bokros
12-23-2013, 7:45 PM
I am hoping for either a Milwaukee 1/4 sheet finishing sander or the Dewalt 1/4 sheet finishing sander. I know I will get a Dewalt DWE575SB circular saw cause I am going to order it myself.

George

Steve Rozmiarek
12-23-2013, 8:31 PM

Jim, I didn't mean to instigate but you'll love it! Which one did you get?

Brian Libby
12-23-2013, 8:51 PM
I have the Monster articulated hollowing system ordered. Will not be here until January.

Bob Cooper
12-23-2013, 8:55 PM
Dewalt plunge router combo kit sits under the tree

Sam Beatty
12-23-2013, 9:27 PM
Well mine isn't exactly Christmas,but it close enough. I sold my old 95 Wrangler and bought a G0715P, G0555LANV, and a G0505. I used remaining funds to insulate and finish the garage. Now I'm all toasty warm and making dust,

Ralph Butts
12-23-2013, 9:31 PM
Santa sent a Minimax S315 Elite via LTL. Apparently the reindeer had a weight/size restriction.

Paul McGaha
12-23-2013, 9:38 PM
Frannie Claus is making use of the Lie Nielsen wish list.

PHM

Mike Cozad
12-23-2013, 10:07 PM
When Santa's sister company, Amazon, allowed for wishlist items from any site on the net, it made Christmas tool accessories much easier.

It certainly made the list easy for Mrs. Claus to check twice at my house. Although note to self, don't let the adult boys in the house put their goofy junk in your wishlist, or that nonsense will end up under the tree with your name on it.:( DAMHIK... lol

I have a Bosch 6" ROS under the tree and a set of Narex paring chisels I still need to wrap up for myself...

mreza Salav
12-23-2013, 11:01 PM
It certainly made the list easy for Mrs. Claus to check twice at my house. Although note to self, don't let the adult boys in the house put their goofy junk in your wishlist, or that nonsense will end up under the tree with your name on it.:( DAMHIK... lol

I have a Bosch 6" ROS under the tree and a set of Narex paring chisels I still need to wrap up for myself...

Sorry but that was too funny!!!

Chad Ashton
12-23-2013, 11:20 PM
Chad,

At times it's beneficial to tell Mrs. Claus what Santa should bring, exactly what Santa should bring including manufacturer and model number.

Oh, I did. Even with an internet link to show the EXACT one so there's no confusion in case Mrs. Claus takes one too many nips of the old egg nog.

Henry Kramer
12-23-2013, 11:22 PM
Since my Birthday is close to Christmas I am used to getting combination gifts. Santa brought me a Powermatic PJ882 8" Jointer with a mobile base for Christmas/Birthday.

Rick Potter
12-24-2013, 2:23 AM
Sheesh,

I got two flannel shop shirts, guess I've been naughty.. I know they are under the tree because Mrs. Claus ;showed me a Duluth Traders catalog, and asked which color looked prettier.

Rick Potter

Cyrus Brewster 7
12-24-2013, 3:34 AM
I got an early gift - a General 34-01 drill press and also have some Woodpeckers squares and I think a Ridge Carbide blade under the tree. No complaints here.

Frank Trinkle
12-24-2013, 4:04 AM
Santa started early at my house. He also apparently has a subcontractor for deliveries that won't fit in his sleigh... (I've learned his sleigh doesn't have a liftgate:D)

Since September, he's delivered a few new "Lifelong" tool items to me. (Probably trying to save his back from heavy lifting in his later years)
I knew I was in for a good Xmas when I opened my shop one morning to find a shiny new 2-ton pallet jack sitting there!

The rush began shortly thereafter.......
Laguna Italian LT20 Bandsaw
Laguna 14X14SUV Bandsaw
Delta 18-900L 18" Drill Press
Hammer A3-41 Jointer/Planer with Silent Power cutter
Powermatic 3520B Lathe (He apparently decided to get the Mustard Monster to me early on a Black Friday 15% off deal)
Laguna 10-16 Revo mini lathe
JDS 3HP Mobile Cyclone Dust Collector
JDS HP Air Filtration System
Festool Jigsaw, Drill, Vacu-Clamp system, Sanders, Systainers, Syscarts, Sortainers, Zobo Forstners, Centronic Sets, Dust Extractor, and a promise for additional green after Xmas.
He also took away my Mortising Machine with a promise to replace it with Festool's Domino system later this year.

I guess I had been a good boy this year, and I'm going to try to behave really well next year as well because I've sent a letter to Santa that I would like my stocking filled with a Laguna 6" Belt sander, a Jet 22-44 Oscillating drum sander, a Sawstop Industrial Cabinet Tablesaw (ICS) to replace my current Sawstop PCS, and I also mentioned that I REALLY, REALLY like the color GREEN.:eek:

If I get all these things from Santa by the end of next year, I'll be able to be super Naughty the following year, because I won't need anything for awhile!!;)

Malcolm Schweizer
12-24-2013, 4:50 AM
Well mine isn't exactly Christmas,but it close enough. I sold my old 95 Wrangler and bought a G0715P, G0555LANV, and a G0505. I used remaining funds to insulate and finish the garage. Now I'm all toasty warm and making dust,

You are a wise man. Real Jeeps have round headlights.

William Adams
12-24-2013, 6:28 AM
A ShapeOko (hobby-level) opensource CNC milling machine kit --- which I got to write the directions for:

http://docs.shapeoko.com/

Still trying to resolve the wiring.

Mike Cozad
12-24-2013, 7:49 AM
Santa started early at my house. He also apparently has a subcontractor for deliveries that won't fit in his sleigh... (I've learned his sleigh doesn't have a liftgate:D)

Since September, he's delivered a few new "Lifelong" tool items to me. (Probably trying to save his back from heavy lifting in his later years)
I knew I was in for a good Xmas when I opened my shop one morning to find a shiny new 2-ton pallet jack sitting there!

Laguna 14X14SUV Bandsaw
Powermatic 3520B Lathe (He apparently decided to get the Mustard Monster to me early on a Black Friday 15% off deal)
Festool Jigsaw, Drill, Vacu-Clamp system, Sanders, Systainers, Syscarts, Sortainers, Zobo Forstners, Centronic Sets, Dust Extractor, and a promise for additional green after Xmas.
He also took away my Mortising Machine with a promise to replace it with Festool's Domino system later this year.

I guess I had been a good boy this year, and I'm going to try to behave really well next year as well because I've sent a letter to Santa that I would like my stocking filled with a Laguna 6" Belt sander, a Jet 22-44 Oscillating drum sander, a Sawstop Industrial Cabinet Tablesaw (ICS) to replace my current Sawstop PCS, and I also mentioned that I REALLY, REALLY like the color GREEN.:eek:

If I get all these things from Santa by the end of next year, I'll be able to be super Naughty the following year, because I won't need anything for awhile!!;)

Holy Elf overtime! When is the handyman elf squad coming over to piece your chimney back together?!?! And when are all the other kids in the neighborhood coming over for a post Christmas play date???

Jim Andrew
12-24-2013, 9:30 AM
Don't know if my wife would agree that I've been a good boy, but she wants a new kitchen. I'm getting the Hammer K3 Winner. The Christmas discount amounts to about 37.5%. And thanks for the info, Steve. I didn't need too hard a push after watching the video on the Hammer USA site.

Rick Potter
12-24-2013, 11:54 AM
Frank,

That pallet jacks sounds like the ideal gift for those 'lifetime tools'. I am sure it will save time and money on a lot of mobile bases.

Rick P

Ryan Mooney
12-24-2013, 3:12 PM
LOML got a nice 10lb sausage stuffer, not exactly a shop tool but will provide fuel for the fire!

AMZ had the DW788 on sale for $329 a week ago and although I didn't NEED to upgrade my scroll saw from the craftsman vibration master.. its something I've been looking at for ~a year or so and at that price it was beating craigslist around here so.. yeah.. new scroll saw.

David Hawxhurst
12-24-2013, 3:23 PM
he is bringing me one of the last green felder ad 741's, with silent power cutter. Its in the Delaware warehouse waiting for some parts.

John A langley
12-24-2013, 7:25 PM
277994The two new saw by veritas

eugene thomas
12-24-2013, 8:15 PM
No tools at Christmas but can't complain. Last 6 years pretty much got what needed while setting up new shop.

James Baker SD
12-24-2013, 9:49 PM
ordered some tooling for the shaper function of a slider/shaper combo (last year's biggie). Won't be here to put under the tree, but should have it soon.

Rich Riddle
12-24-2013, 10:33 PM
It looks like some folks are opening gifts on Christmas Eve.

John Huds0n
12-24-2013, 10:41 PM
It looks like some folks are opening gifts on Christmas Eve.

Ya - instead of staying up late tonight to assemble things for the kids, I got up early this morning and started working on mine :)

Rich Riddle
12-25-2013, 12:02 AM
Ya - instead of staying up late tonight to assemble things for the kids, I got up early this morning and started working on mine :)

Well it's just past midnight here; that is early to start.

John A langley
12-25-2013, 12:39 AM
John if that is 3 horse power JDS you'll like it

Bryan Cowing
12-25-2013, 4:21 AM
Gift certificate to HD. Thought I could use it to get extra batteries for my 18V Milwaukee
drill. Found they had drill and impact driver kit on sale , so for $75 over the cost of a 2 pk of batteries, got this.
Impact seems to be 1/2 the weight of the old 18V nickel metal makita impact. Batteries sure are compact!

Rick Markham
12-25-2013, 6:35 AM
Santa has been extra good too me! Over the last year he has pretty much filled my new shop full of new equipment, some large, some small. :)

Pat Meeuwissen
12-25-2013, 12:01 PM
I got myself a used dowelmax jig. And the big guy with the red suit brought me the Incra I-box jig(got a great deal). I think I now have enough tools to make some more finished pieces. I want to do more real wood stuff over the "country kitsch" that has been my go to. Now have to come up with money to get some decent wood. Cause that stuff AINT cheap.:rolleyes: Hope you guys all have a great day, Pat

phil harold
12-25-2013, 12:15 PM
just a little toy
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=278031&d=1387989754

Matt Meiser
12-25-2013, 12:18 PM
Guess I was pretty good. LOML got me some driver bits which were on my wish list and the Festool Sys Roll cart (said it was too cute not too!) Mom and dad got me a self-centering guide for my Domino.

Paul Canaris
12-25-2013, 12:35 PM
A few nice things....
This is the new Apollo 105VR, note the different location of the display panel. Also got the Excalibur/General EX-30 scroll saw. I tried scrolling years ago and got so tired with blade changing and breakage that I walked away. The new generation of scroll saws are a whole new ball-game, very easy to use.
I'll be trying out the Apollo in a week or so on a few projects I am about to complete. A horizontal chest of drawers and several more ceiling chandeliers similar in design to the one I posted the other day in the projects section.

The wife was very nice to me this Christmas; although in return she had me buy her an embroidery sewing machine. If you think our woodworking equipment cost a lot, go and price those out....you will be in for quite a surprise

Rich Riddle
12-25-2013, 1:00 PM
Paul,

I trust you will remedy that control box that shows zero hours on your new tool. Good looking new scroll saw. Let us know if it measures up to your tastes.

Mike Shields
12-25-2013, 1:22 PM
Incra TS-LS for my new Sawstop PCS.

I love my wife!

Justin Rapp
12-25-2013, 2:13 PM
I went down to my shop this morning and found the following gifts from Santa and the elfs:
Jet JWBS-16B band saw
Jet JJ-8HH Helical Jointer
Jet JWP-15HH Helical Planer
Jet 708675PK 3HP table saw

Then I realized I am Jewish and woke up from my dream of wishful thinking!

Rich Riddle
12-25-2013, 2:17 PM
Justin, I think Santa transcends religious preference. However if you have vivid dreams of tools, I suggest looking at the Minimax catalog. After all, we can always dream.

Don Morris
12-25-2013, 2:26 PM
We won't be opening the gifts until Christmas evening dinner when the family can make it. I have some hope's though. Would love to trade in all my old DeWalt stuff for the new driver/impact/smaller-in-the-hand yet just as powerful and lighter style stuff. But really don't need to. Trying to convince LOML as I get older I need the lighter weight tools. Hasn't worked so far.

Todd Hyman
12-25-2013, 3:43 PM
I got a LV tenon saw and a festool sander.

John A langley
12-25-2013, 4:23 PM
Todd and a Miracle touchdown

Brian Lefort
12-25-2013, 5:26 PM
A new Moisture meter! Now I know if it is time to start on the piles of Maple and Cherry in my cellar.

Justin Rapp
12-25-2013, 6:20 PM
Justin, I think Santa transcends religious preference. However if you have vivid dreams of tools, I suggest looking at the Minimax catalog. After all, we can always dream.

Wow - I just looked at minimax. I couldn't even fit 1/2 their gear in my workshop let alone power it! :)

Alan Lightstone
12-25-2013, 6:42 PM
Laguna 14X14SUV Bandsaw

Everyone. Repeat after me:

We're not worthy! We're not worthy! We're not worthy!!!

Todd Hyman
12-25-2013, 9:44 PM
Todd and a Miracle touchdown

Yes nice one! Can't wait until January 6th!

John A langley
12-25-2013, 10:08 PM
I'll be pulling for them

Charles Coolidge
12-26-2013, 12:01 AM

Well lets see here I got a...

Grizzly 19" G0514X2B bandsaw
Grizzly 12" G0696X 5HP table saw
Delta 18-900L drill press
Grizzly 8" G0490 jointer with Byrd Shelix cutter head
Powermatic 15HH 15" planer with Byrd Shelix cutter head
Shop Fox W1743 mortiser
Grizzly G703 cyclone dust collector
Leigh DR4 Pro 24" dovetail jig with accessories
Milwaukee pistol grip router
Grizzly G4003G Gunsmith's lathe
Shop Fox heavy duty workbench leg set with 30x60x1.75 maple top
Rockwell Delta Multiplex 40-B radial arm saw
Mitutoyo coolant proof 0-1 and 1-2 mics
2 Shop Fox super heavy duty mobile bases
Incra Miter 5000
Grizzly tenoning jig
Jorgensen 2-24" 2-36" bar clamp set
Kreg 28x60 steel bench
TS blades - Forrest 10" WW2 and Forrest Ply, Freud 12", Ridge Carbide 12"
BS blades - Timberwolf 1" and 3/8"
6 mortising chisels from Japan
Albrecht keyless chuck

And to move all these machines around a Kubota B2920 29hp diesel tractor with front end loader and backhoe :D

Charles Coolidge
12-26-2013, 12:02 AM

Well lets see here I got a...

Grizzly 19" G0514X2B bandsaw
Grizzly 12" G0696X 5HP table saw
Delta 18-900L drill press
Grizzly 8" G0490 jointer with Byrd Shelix cutter head
Powermatic 15HH 15" planer with Byrd Shelix cutter head
Shop Fox W1743 mortiser
Grizzly G703 cyclone dust collector
Leigh DR4 Pro 24" dovetail jig with accessories
Milwaukee pistol grip router
Grizzly G4003G 12"x36" Gunsmith's lathe
Shop Fox heavy duty workbench leg set with 30x60x1.75 maple top
Rockwell Delta Multiplex 40-B radial arm saw
Mitutoyo coolant proof 0-1 and 1-2 mics
2 Shop Fox super heavy duty mobile bases
Incra Miter 5000
Grizzly tenoning jig
Jorgensen 2-24" 2-36" bar clamp set
Kreg 28x60 steel bench
TS blades - Forrest 10" WW2 and Forrest Ply, Freud 12", Ridge Carbide 12"
BS blades - Timberwolf 1" and 3/8"
6 mortising chisels from Japan
Albrecht keyless chuck

And to move all these machines around a Kubota B2920 29hp diesel tractor with front end loader and backhoe :D

Joe Shinall
12-26-2013, 12:15 AM
Got the Ridgid 14663!

Also a marking knife, inlay templates, some Incra measuring tools, and a Fraction Calculator. Pretty good Christmas if I do say so.

Ole Anderson
12-26-2013, 10:01 AM
Well, I ordered four DeWalt 5" ROS's, three as gifts to others and one for myself, even had Santa wrap that one up for me. Also got a nice set of Klein dykes and a side cutter, not WW tools but needed after ruining my old Knipex dykes on a hot 12 ga wire.

Keith Hankins
12-26-2013, 10:54 AM
Santa was kind to me this year. The wife got me a knew concepts fret saw, and a porter cable pancake compressor along with some clamps. Cool!

Malcolm Schweizer
12-26-2013, 2:45 PM
I deserve a great big "You Suck" for this absolute shameless gloat...

Paul McGaha
12-26-2013, 2:49 PM
Malcolm:

You Suck!

PHM

Malcolm Schweizer
12-26-2013, 4:04 PM
Thank you , Paul. I deserved that.

Charles Coolidge
12-26-2013, 5:07 PM
Thank you , Paul. I deserved that.

Yeah man what a tool chest hoarder we see how you are.

Rich Riddle
12-26-2013, 5:59 PM
Malcolm,

Just a couple of comments.

1. They make new tools chests? I thought the all came used.
2. Now you must endeavor to fill those large chests you received. That budget will likely exceed the cost of the chests.

Malcolm Schweizer
12-26-2013, 7:03 PM
Actually they will be full plus another wood tall chest full. I am using the short one on the far left as a place to keep woodworking tools. The tall chest (in two boxes) is primarily for automotive tools.

Dave Lehnert
12-26-2013, 7:14 PM
I deserve a great big "You Suck" for this absolute shameless gloat...

HD has good prices on them right now if anyone needs one.

Jay Jolliffe
12-27-2013, 5:50 AM
Santa didn't give but took from me. Christmas eve he was nice enough to take my grossly infected Gallbladder from what I understand. After three day's& night's being in a lot of pain thinking it was the stomach virus going around decided to go to the hospital. Never had anything like that removed before so what can I expect the rest of my life be with out it.

Larry Edgerton
12-27-2013, 6:17 AM
Santa didn't give but took from me. Christmas eve he was nice enough to take my grossly infected Gallbladder from what I understand. After three day's& night's being in a lot of pain thinking it was the stomach virus going around decided to go to the hospital. Never had anything like that removed before so what can I expect the rest of my life be with out it.

Heck of a way to lose weight!

Glad you are ok and alive to see next year.

Larry

Mike Cozad
12-27-2013, 7:12 AM
Never had anything like that removed before so what can I expect the rest of my life be with out it.

Glad you're ok. I have 2 good friends that had that same surgery this year. You'll find some foods you wont tolerate well, but if you're anything like them, its business as usual...

Mike Cozad
12-27-2013, 7:18 AM
Santa brought a Bosch 18v l-ion Brute drill driver and the Bosch 6" ros. He also had Lee Valley drop ship a set of Narex paring chisels.... A good day for me under the tree..

Rich Riddle
12-27-2013, 5:49 PM
Santa brought a Bosch 18v l-ion Brute drill driver and the Bosch 6" ros. He also had Lee Valley drop ship a set of Narex paring chisels.... A good day for me under the tree..
You will like those Narex chisels. Santa brought those last year. They are quite a good price for the quality you get. After you use the Brute drill let us know what you think of it.

Rod Sheridan
12-27-2013, 8:28 PM
I agree, I have a set, they're nice.............Rod.

Mike Cozad
12-27-2013, 8:55 PM
Thanks for the reassurance fellas. I have the set of 10 Narex bevel edge chisels from Lee Valley and found during a timber frame mailbox project that working the mortise and tenon I could have used a longer blade. The reviews here and the sale at Lee Valley made the Christmas self-gift an obvious choice.
I'll try to post a review of tne drill tomorrow after its maiden sea trial....

Rich Riddle
12-27-2013, 9:18 PM
Now I am pondering if any of us gave any tools as gifts? Do you think we are givers as well as receivers? I gave a Makita 10" sliding compound miter saw, a few electrical tools, and a "miracle bag" of tools to a friend.

Mike Heidrick
12-27-2013, 9:43 PM
I gave away a Shars CNC milling vise and a set of Longworth Chuck discs I CNC cut.