PDA

View Full Version : Is this a scam?

dennis thompson
12-23-2013, 5:18 AM
I got an email ,supposedly from Walmart saying they had the wrong address on my order and would I fill out the attached form ( it was a link to the form) I didn' t click the link since I have not ordered anything from Walmart. I am pretty sure this is a scam, what do you think?

Joe Tilson
12-23-2013, 6:54 AM
It probably is Dennis. There's a lot of that going around today.

Dan Hintz
12-23-2013, 7:55 AM
First way to know it's a scam? You didn't order anything...
Second way to know it's a scam? Company is contacting you through email asking for personal information...
Third way to know it's a scam? They want you to open a file or click on a link...

Lee Schierer
12-23-2013, 7:56 AM
Most likely yes. I got a similar message supposedly from Fedex UK saying the attachment had tracking information for my order. I hadn't ordered anything from the UK so I trashed it. I suggest you do the same. Did you buy anything from Walmart that they said the would deliver to your address?

Dave Sheldrake
12-23-2013, 8:10 AM
I have not ordered anything from Walmart

Nuff said :)

cheers

Dave

ps: I gotta go, an uncle I never had just died in a country that doesn't exist and left me $60,000,000 so I have to go find my bank details to send them ;)

Chris Damm
12-23-2013, 8:17 AM
If you have to ask......it's a scam!

Stephen Cherry
12-23-2013, 8:20 AM
Why are you being so skeptical? You have something coming, and they just need your personal information so they can give it to you.

Just joking- it's a scam.

Bill ThompsonNM
12-23-2013, 8:38 AM
Started last may

http://news.walmart.com/news-archive/2013/05/16/walmartcom-statement-on-may-16-phishing-scam

Matt Meiser
12-23-2013, 9:04 AM
Started about 2 weeks after Al Gore invented the Internet.

Sal Kurban
12-23-2013, 10:39 PM
No solicitation with a link is kosher... However, if I am offered some urgent next of kin inheritance, I always reply... If I have time, that is... I have so far solved most of the world's problems and I usually flood their emails with solicitation emails of my own. I am usually looking for a sponsor for my projects. My last project was "production of super low friction ball bearings rolled by dung beetles". That was because His Eminence Abdulsalam Salim Fayyad had retired and his son wanted to invest in my country.

If anyone wants to know about my project(s), let me know :)

Sal

Pat Barry
12-24-2013, 8:58 AM
I suspect it could be a scam. Hard as it is to believe that a company like Walmart would be out to scam you though. And at Christmas time none the less.

Duane Meadows
12-24-2013, 9:30 AM
Those kind of emails are NOT from the companies that they appear to be from! That's the whole point of phishing scams. This kind of misinformation is one reason they work with many people. Know the risks or become victims.

Rick Potter
12-24-2013, 11:59 AM
Dave,

Just start looking for a deposed Princess. They usually live in Nigeria for some reason.

Rick Potter

Jim Koepke
12-24-2013, 1:58 PM
Let's just try to figure this out.

They lost your home address so they looked you up in the email directory and sent you an email? Wait a second, where did they get an email directory? They don't exist.

If they can charge it to your credit card they already have access to your home address.

SCAM!!!!

jtk

David Cefai
12-25-2013, 7:01 AM
They started even before Al Gore did not invent the Internet. I used to receive them by Telex. Not as many, granted but enough that we told the telex operators to just bin the printouts.

Merry Christmas Everybody.

Kev Williams
12-25-2013, 11:38 AM
Ever hear of "Cryptolocker"? --here's some info about it.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/cryptolocker-ransomware-information

You should never click a link in an email unless you know exactly who it's from. This is just one of many reasons!

Rick Potter
12-26-2013, 2:24 AM
I got an e-mail supposedly from Costco today, that was a lot like yours. It said they misplaced my order, and would give me 21% of the price back because they messed up the delivery. I dumped it, and no, I never ordered anything.

Rick Potter

dennis thompson
12-26-2013, 6:29 AM
As a follow up I got the same email again today, obviously I deleted it