PDA

View Full Version : Finished some Christmas gifts

Erich Bittmann
12-23-2013, 1:38 AM
A Boy's Axe (that's actually the size term to describe this size) and leather mask for my neighbor. The mask features a photo of a local Lewis and Clark named feature called MountIn Palace, the axe handle has local wildlife images.
Also, for a friend an Opiniel folding knife engraved with images of beach rocks I took this fall.

Glen Monaghan
12-23-2013, 9:50 AM
Looks like the engraving wraps around the knife's handle. Did you rig the knife onto a rotary to engrave the wood?

Erich Bittmann
12-23-2013, 10:58 AM
Yes I did.

Scott Woodson
12-23-2013, 3:49 PM
Erich,

Thanks for sharing, really like the way the blade engraving drifts onto the handle. What settings did you use to engrave the handle?

Scott

Erich Bittmann
12-23-2013, 4:14 PM
...I can't guarantee it will be clear.
Because of the way i jigged this knife for the rotary attachment, the file needs to be stretched substantially. The part in contact with the rotary jig being a larger diameter than the work piece means the knife rotates "too slowly" hence the file stretching. The slow rotation of the knife creates a need to engrave at lower DPI and power than normal. 80s/100p 400dpi for this one gave a result more like a traditional 60s/100p 600dpi. I hope that makes sense. Also, my tube mikes at 80W

Erich,

Thanks for sharing, really like the way the blade engraving drifts onto the handle. What settings did you use to engrave the handle?

Scott

Dee Gallo
12-23-2013, 7:47 PM
Erich, those are really beautiful gifts! Somebody's going to be very happy in a few days - good work Santa!