PDA

View Full Version : Tell me why you like this Grizzly planer/jointer combo so much: GO634 XP 12"

Mike Kelsey
12-22-2013, 2:36 PM
This is the model:G0634XP 12" Planer/Jointer with Spiral-Polar Bear Series

The reason for this topic in light of the concurrent one about comparing the Griz to other brands, is the 634XP isn't mentioned specifically nor is anyone seem to be backing the grizzly in the same way the Fine Woodworking review does.
For me cost does matter,unfortunately. Like others I have been on the fence,trying to decide whether to go for the Griz before the end of the year, in case prices rise or continue saving.
I'd like this thread to be focused on the Griz in a positive sense,so I can determine whether the FW review was a fluke or not. So, any 634XP owners happy with their purchase?

Thanks

Rick Markham
12-23-2013, 6:44 AM
I've been using my G0634 XP for a year now, and it has been a wonderful machine. The one negative being you have to remove the fence to switch over (It's super easy, but you have to have a place to put the fence). That's about the only negative I can say for it. The end mounted fence has been spot on from the get go, has remained true, in spite of being removed and replaced constantly. So there you go. Plan on investing in a digital readout for it, and you are good to go, It's even pretty quiet too! Mine's fit and finish is good, and has remained so.

So IMHO it's worth every penny, and is one hell of a machine for the price. Just my $.02. If I had to do it over I would again without a second thought.

Mike Kelsey
12-23-2013, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the reply, Rick. I was beginning to wonder if this machine was liked at all.

Rick Markham
12-25-2013, 5:27 AM
I ain't skeered to say I like it! I use it nearly daily. It eats what I feed it, and spits out nice looking accurate boards out the other end, and it isn't obnoxiously loud even when taking big cuts. I'm a completely satisfied customer.

FYI, it takes me probably 20 seconds to change over (either way)

Jason White
12-25-2013, 9:13 AM
As I recall, the FWW article reviewed the one with a "spiral" cutterhead (the kind with square, carbide inserts that you can rotate as they get nicked or dull). Speaking as somebody with limited shop floor space and a huge DJ-20 jointer with old fashioned knives that dull quickly (I'm also shopping around for a large, used planer), the price of the Grizzly jointer/planer combo with spiral cutterhead seems like a bargain. When funds become available, I'll definitely be buying one of those bad boys! ;)

This is the model:G0634XP 12" Planer/Jointer with Spiral-Polar Bear Series

The reason for this topic in light of the concurrent one about comparing the Griz to other brands, is the 634XP isn't mentioned specifically nor is anyone seem to be backing the grizzly in the same way the Fine Woodworking review does.
For me cost does matter,unfortunately. Like others I have been on the fence,trying to decide whether to go for the Griz before the end of the year, in case prices rise or continue saving.
I'd like this thread to be focused on the Griz in a positive sense,so I can determine whether the FW review was a fluke or not. So, any 634XP owners happy with their purchase?

Thanks

Ronald Blue
12-25-2013, 9:53 AM
I don't know where you are located but there is a used one in Joplin Missouri on Craigslist. Just a remote possibility.

Mike Kelsey
12-25-2013, 10:43 AM
I'm located in Washington State. Been looking on CL for over a year but no luck. Sure glad to get some focused replies. I think threads about comparisons are hard to keep on subject which is quite understandable.

Rich Riddle
12-25-2013, 2:08 PM
I went to the Pennsylvania Grizzly store about five times in 2012/2013. They have all the tools on display and even have an area with tools set-up to use. This one worked very well when I used it in the "shop area." The Grizzly tools were quite impressive in their ability and I place them on par with Jet and Powermatic imports. I didn't purchase the unit for one reason, a used Minimax jointer planer became available and purchasing the separate Shelix head was less costly than this unit new. If that had not occurred, then this would be in my shop today. I have also tried the Jet jointer/planer with segmented head and prefer the Grizzly to that model.

One side note: The woman in charge of the floor in Pennsylvania has the best personality of any customer service worker I have ever encountered. Once I was there near closing and a "problem customer" was needing his order rung again because he forgot to give a 10% coupon prior to buying his items. It was a huge order. The cashier was frustrated. The manager smiled and completed the order so the employee could get off work on time. Wonderful customer service.

Rich Riddle
12-25-2013, 2:27 PM
Mike, just so you know, I prefer the fence system of the Grizzly 0634Z to the 0634XP. The Z has a center-mounted fence versus the end-mounted on the XP series. Typically the center-mounted fence has a $300 premium attached to it, but it's on sale at the same price. Here is another link to the Jet/Grizzly discussion.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?129775-G0634Z-vs-Jet-JJP-12-quot-Helical-Head-Combo-Machines

Rick Markham
12-25-2013, 3:08 PM
It's a very nice machine. I will leave the middle vs. end mounted fence to Rich, I haven't had an opportunity to compare either machine side by side. I've been very pleased with the end mounted fence on the G0634XP. It is a well built, heavy machine.

Jeff Gleason
07-11-2014, 4:24 PM
I liked the machine until I realized that the in feed table wasn't going to allow adjusting correctly. I was able to shim for some improvement but started demanding more accurate levels. After two weeks of conversations with support (they tried hard) we came to the conclusion that I would have to start sending parts of the in feed (hinge bolt, etc…) in to them to see where the problem was. It's out of warranty. I won't bore you with too many details, and I know you're asking for just positive feed back but I have to say that buying this machine was a mistake for me. I've taken the tables and fence off and now have a very expensive, heavy, and large 12" planer.