PDA

View Full Version : Oliver 144 BD or Powermatic 60 Jointer

Bill Thiry
12-22-2013, 2:20 PM
OK, I’ve been narrow down my options for a jointer to an Oliver 144 (about a 1959 version) and a Powermatic 60. Both are about equal distance away so driving distance isn’t a factor. The Oliver is $900 the Powermatic 60 is $750. Both jointers are single phase 220. The Powermatic is an old school green version, which has been cleaned up. Both units are good working units, tables level and fences square. The Oliver is a belt driven (not retrofit, its original). The Oliver comes with two extra set of knives and a magnetic knife setting gauge, and a shop made wheeled cart to move it around.

The oliver is a 1 HP westinghouse motor, the Powermatic is a 1 1/2 HP motor, not sure of the brand.
The owner of the Oliver also told me he has done some slight shimming on the tables.

The person with the oliver has already come down $200 from original asking price. A bit more background. The powermatic came out of a school and was refurbed by current owner who intended on keeping it but his other tools are 3 phase and he as come across a three phase joionter, the Oliver came out of a business who bought it new. The person who has it now has had it for a year but is getting a bigger jointer.
Based on that info, which unit would you purchase and are the prices in range of reasonable?

David Kumm
12-22-2013, 3:12 PM
Prices are reasonable as both are likely to have better cast iron tables than new. Oliver will generally have the higher resale although the direct drive is more desired than belt. The 144 dates all the way back to the early 1900s. The PM back to the 1960s. If and early PM it would have a guard that you can easily take off or tilt up. The oliver should have the swing away guard. Kind of nice with an 8" jointer as you can joint a wider board by just doing half and flipping without hassling with a typical guard that doesn't go on and off easily. Both will have heavy table with Meehanite quality cast iron. The downside of both- and all new wedgebeds- is the wedge and table are cast together which means shimming is done between the wedges. PM fence is a little longer but the Oliver has a little larger diameter cutter- 3.5 vs 3". Bigger is better in cutter land. Motor differences are negligible if the motors are original. The old motors Oliver used were pretty stout. 1959 is about as good a time frame as you can find. Condition of tables is a big deal. Lay a straightedge across the width and make sure there is no hollow. Shouldn't be in a narrow jointer like that but check. Check both for droop from end to end with a good 6' AL level. Figuring the value of the knives and cart, resale, a nod to the Oliver on relative price. PM has a following too though so either is a good deal in my world. Check that the starters and bearings sound good. It's easy to put another few hundred in a used machine. Still worth it though. Dave

Steve Rozmiarek
12-22-2013, 5:01 PM
If it was me, the Oliver would be in my shop already. I've always wanted one for some reason, and if it passes Daves tests, it would sure be a good machine. The powermatic would too, but I'm biased.