PDA

View Full Version : Christmas presents

Thom Sturgill
12-22-2013, 10:27 AM
I have not had much turning time over the last three months due to health problems (pretty well resolved now) but did get a bit recently to make a couple of boxes. Maple with maple burl lids and ebony pulls. About 3" diameter. Both have some burning, a recessed burned base to create a shadow line, and to visually separate the lid. the burning is also to reflect the darkness of the ebony.

Color is off on the second one, the sun came out from behind a cloud...
Now if I can just get a few ornaments done.

As always comment and critique are welcome.

Dave Cullen
12-22-2013, 11:09 AM
Lovely. What do you burn it with?

Paul Engle
12-22-2013, 11:13 AM
Very nice Thom ! Did you make those on Saturday or the other Saturday ???

Doug Herzberg
12-22-2013, 11:42 AM
Those are all three very nice, Thom. Great way to feature a burl. Thanks for posting.

Peter Blair
12-22-2013, 11:43 AM
Very nice 'saturday' projects. Love them, I don't often think about making boxes until I see a post like this!!

Thanks!!

Thom Sturgill
12-22-2013, 1:20 PM
Yes these were obviously Saturday projects LOL.
One of the vendors that sends me regular emails recently got in some burl and this was a 3x3x14 blank. I cut about 1 1/2" off one end and made both tops and have a piece on the lathe that will make a goblet bowl and foot (ebony stem). Have enough more for several tops or a couple of goblets or similar sized turnings. The ladies seem to like these more than bowls, unless the bowl is big enough and simple enough to see actual use for salads or such.

charlie knighton
12-22-2013, 2:00 PM
very nice Thom, wish you well

Thom Sturgill
12-22-2013, 3:38 PM
Lovely. What do you burn it with?

I have the Ultima 1 burner and a variety of pens. I burn my signature in most items. The burners run about $100 and pens are $20-$25. I use the fixed tip pens as the removable tip pens as I find it easier to just grab the pen from a rack and not worry about keeping tips in order. I have about 6 pens including a writer, two shaders, a skew, and a small ball. I also have one of the ones that you form you own tips, though I have yet to use it.

I find I want to embellish much of my work.

Leo Van Der Loo
12-22-2013, 4:17 PM
Thom glad to hear your health issues are mostly past and you can look ahead to less stress and more leisurely turning :D

I really like the Oriental look box Thom, also the Contemporary, the beaded box not so much, I tried to improve the picture a bit but that did not change my "like" much :o.

The burl lids are pretty, shows the wood real nicely :cool: :)

Gus Dundon
12-23-2013, 2:57 PM
You've done an incredible job! The boxes are beautiful. Glad to hear you're doing well now!