PDA

View Full Version : Large cole jaws

Lawrence Tarnoff
12-21-2013, 7:18 PM
I was disappointed, but not surprised, to discover that the Nova cole jaws that fit the Nova chuck on my old lathe did not fit the Woodriver chuck I have for my new Nova lathe. Bought the Woodriver cole jaws, but they will only accommodate a bowl up to about 8 inches in diameter. I plan on getting a second chuck and am looking for recommendations on the chuck that offers a larger set of cole jaws.

Thanks!

charlie knighton
12-21-2013, 7:38 PM
learn to jam chuck, buy more gouges and chisels, just my opinion

Larry Lilly
12-21-2013, 9:47 PM
its the toy thing. I used to say people that had more than one chuck body were lazy. Now I have 3 stronghold chuck bodies. I started out with a 14 inch jet, so I had the jumbo jaw set. Now that I have a PM3520B, I added the mega jaws. It increases 3 inches, but hey, 3 inches is 3 inches :D.

But I also use a home built jamb chuck for heavy stuff, or where i need to take off more than just a whisper. So ipoions matter, but we buy toys to add smaller and smaller benefits than the first gouges and scrapers and grinders we bought years ago.

Leo Van Der Loo
12-22-2013, 4:40 PM
Lawrence the Mega Jumbo jaws from Oneway will chuck a 15" piece internally, I have had these for several years and use them a lot, enough that I now have to get a new set of buttons, they have a steel inner piece with a hard rubber outer layer.

I also made wooden jaw extensions, so that I can chuck even larger pieces up, I would not want to be without those Mega Jumbo jaws, they have been a God-sent for me, HTH :)

file://localhost/Users/leovdl/Desktop/www.oneway.ca:pdf:jumbo_jaws.pdf.webloc