PDA

View Full Version : Sort of slow on the creek!

Roger Chandler
12-21-2013, 4:39 PM
I guess it must be all the hustle and bustle of the holidays and all the things that have to get done, but it seems the creek has been running slow lately..........seems not as many are posting and a lot of those that do log on, seem to just lurk and not post.

I don't know about you, but I like action! How about you? :D

Dennis Nagle
12-21-2013, 4:52 PM
I've been in the shop all day. Turned 1.5 HFs and 5 finials. It was a good day.

David DeCristoforo
12-21-2013, 5:50 PM
I don't think it's just SMC. All of the forums seem to be on the sleepy side lately. And technical issues abound. WoW is experiencing almost constant glitches (sorry about the image drop out (yet again!) just when your piece got the cover spot.) On the AAW site, image uploading to the member galleries has been nonfunctional for weeks with no fix in sight and their "Turning of the Week" seems to have become the "Turning of the Month". Postings on all forums are at a very low ebb. In my case there has simply been little time. I think I might have completed five pieces all year!

Roger Chandler
12-21-2013, 5:54 PM
I don't think it's just SMC. All of the forums seem to be on the sleepy side lately. And technical issues abound. WoW is experiencing almost constant glitches (sorry about the image drop out (yet again!) just when your piece got the cover spot.) On the AAW site, image uploading to the member galleries has been nonfunctional for weeks with no fix in sight and their "Turning of the Week" seems to have become the "Turning of the Month". Postings on all forums are at a very low ebb. In my case there has simply been little time. I think I might have completed five pieces all year!

That #2 Christmas ornament makes up for quantity with quality.........I really enjoyed that one David! You are correct about all these photo issues with both AAW and WoW..........wonder if it has anything to do with the NSA? :eek::D:D:rolleyes:

Allan Ferguson
12-21-2013, 6:19 PM
Yes, things have been slow. I have been sitting on a lot of turnings, folding rockers and other things. Also wife sitting following her knee replacement. The past few weeks I have been working on a rocker for the grand daughter. Allan

charlie knighton
12-21-2013, 7:15 PM
i miss some of the old regulars....from 5 to 6 years ago....was i lot of atta boys....but a lot of posts......as some of the turners became more profetant (misspell) i believe some started lurking....also the lathes people were buying and showing became a lathe race....i still see # of looks on a good post very high, just not saying much

Chris Parks
12-21-2013, 7:40 PM
I mentioned this elsewhere and it was suggested that the internet forum format is very slowly going out the door backwards due to people using social media instead. I can't vouch for that as I do not use social media and would not know how. If true I guess it could be likened to when we moved from usenet to forums and the trend is continuing.

charlie knighton
12-21-2013, 7:47 PM
i do see more turning and turning pros on the facebook, they are not always turning relating, just living

Steve Mawson
12-21-2013, 9:51 PM
I posted some acorn bird houses to help out.:D

Doug Herzberg
12-22-2013, 8:37 AM
I've always been a lurker, but lately, I've been doing more flat work. I've been building a workbench and doing some cabinet work for a kitchen remodel I started over two years ago. When turning takes me away from projects, I hear from SWMBO. After watching Reed's coring video, I had to go core some bowls, but nothing worth posting, yet.

Fred Belknap
12-22-2013, 9:31 AM
I lurk, always have, always will. I mostly learned to turn from lurking around here and a few other forums. I will advance some advice if I can and no one else has chipped in. I do a lot of turning and sell a lot. Most of what I turn is run of the mill bowls and NE bowls, nothing to write home about. I think it is pretty nice but not great, people buy it so it must not be to bad. This time of year my stock is pretty much depleted. I like to steal ideas and advice on this forum and others. I'm on Facebook but to much politics and baby pictures to get much useful info from. It helps me keep track of my extended family.
I don't miss very many posts on here and other places like World of Wood, Turners Unlimited, AAW, Family Wood Stuff etc.

THE LURKER FROM HELL

Thom Sturgill
12-22-2013, 10:35 AM
My case has been health related. Cardio problems slowing me down and just recently got the VA hospital to get involved and boy what a difference from the local folks. AICD implanted and meds changed and while it took a while to adjust to the new meds they are helping. This was after a stressful summer where we lost 3 family members - two to cancer and one just old age.

Just posted a few boxes I was able to complete and I've got a goblet on the lathe now. Still need to get a few ornaments for immediate family.

Keith Outten
12-22-2013, 10:56 AM
I have recently been looking at our numbers for 2013 and we have had a great year here at SawMill Creek. Concerning recent activity the last 90 days have been just above average for this year which is exceptional as we have been averaging over 17 million page views per month all year long.

I don't have the metrics of any particular forum here, my numbers reflect the posts, threads and page views for our entire domain. It is customary for sites like ours to ebb and flow particularly during certain seasons, however we are not seeing an overall decrease in activity here even though it is the Christmas Season and many are busy in their shops making presents for their friends and family. New Posts are still averaging between 400 to 600 per day.

In 2012 SawMill Creek experienced the only decrease in activity in our ten years online. This year has been just the opposite, we have seen a steady growth every month in new registrations and a constant level of participation. 2013 is the best year we have ever had based on the numbers.

Peter Blair
12-22-2013, 11:47 AM
I agree! Over the past month or so what with the problems David points out things are slow on all the sites I regularly visit.

I wonder if it would be interesting to see how many Turning sites everyone visits daily or at least regularily?

Possibly a 'poll' or even a list of favourite sites. Has this question been asked previously?

Jessica Gothie
12-23-2013, 8:20 AM
I lurk because I'm a beginner and I turn like a beginner. The journey from "Hey, lookit, I can make crummy roundish things featuring bruised grain and tearout!" to "I'm learning to sharpen my tools effectively and things are coming off the lathe looking less horrible." and thence onward to "Heck, I suck less at tool presentation and technique but my stuff is still heavy and uninteresting. :( I guess I need to learn about design and what makes things pleasing to eye and hand." is not particularly a unique journey. It is a new and exciting journey for me, as I am taking it, but in broad strokes, it is a journey that every other person who's developed any competency in turning has already taken. For that reason, I don't see much point to sharing the day-to-day details of my learning experience with all ya'll. I don't expect any of you to be enriched or enlightened by overly-excited yipping from a new turner just figuring out the basics of the skill. So, I save the yipping for my family members, who regard it with fond tolerance and gentle amusement.

charlie knighton
12-23-2013, 9:48 AM
happy holidays, Jessica, great to hear from ya

Peter Blair
12-23-2013, 11:19 AM
Hi Jessica.
Great note, I have never been able to put my thoughts along the same line into print. You managed to sum up how I felt for years.
I only show the pieces I am really proud of and only comment when I feel I have something to say.
Sure hope to see some of your work here one day soon.
Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Doug Herzberg
12-23-2013, 1:47 PM
I lurk because I'm a beginner and I turn like a beginner. The journey from "Hey, lookit, I can make crummy roundish things featuring bruised grain and tearout!" to "I'm learning to sharpen my tools effectively and things are coming off the lathe looking less horrible." and thence onward to "Heck, I suck less at tool presentation and technique but my stuff is still heavy and uninteresting. :( I guess I need to learn about design and what makes things pleasing to eye and hand." is not particularly a unique journey. It is a new and exciting journey for me, as I am taking it, but in broad strokes, it is a journey that every other person who's developed any competency in turning has already taken. For that reason, I don't see much point to sharing the day-to-day details of my learning experience with all ya'll. I don't expect any of you to be enriched or enlightened by overly-excited yipping from a new turner just figuring out the basics of the skill. So, I save the yipping for my family members, who regard it with fond tolerance and gentle amusement.

We've all been there, Jessica. Welcome to the Creek, if no one else has said that. Please don't be too shy about posting your work. The people here are very kind, especially to newbies and their comments and suggestions help a lot. For sure put up any questions you may have. Someone will chime in and will probably have the right answer. There used to be a lot more discussion about design and form. I don't know what happened to that, but the old stuff is still in the archives, so try a search if you have a particular issue.

Roger Chandler
12-23-2013, 5:38 PM

Sharing your journey is half the fun, Jessica! Because we, like yourself have already traveled the path you are on ........we sorta, kinda, know where some of the potholes are, and can probably help with a tip or two to speed up those good results you are looking for, if you could show your work and let us know where some of your issues are.

Of course, if you are not interested in speeding up the process for yourself..........well, you can always enjoy the process of re-inventing the wheel all by yourself as well, ;) but at any rate, we are so glad you decided to take a dip in the creek with the rest of us "creekers." Not a bad swim, not bad at all! :D

Richard Casey
12-23-2013, 10:47 PM
My case has been health related. Cardio problems slowing me down and just recently got the VA hospital to get involved and boy what a difference from the local folks. AICD implanted and meds changed and while it took a while to adjust to the new meds they are helping. This was after a stressful summer where we lost 3 family members - two to cancer and one just old age.

Just posted a few boxes I was able to complete and I've got a goblet on the lathe now. Still need to get a few ornaments for immediate family.

Thom lets hope your health improves. I have not had a chance to comment, just too busy. I have only returned from the US 5 weeks ago, caught up with some Creekers and a few from the Aussie Woodwork Forum and I hope to do some posting to share some of the things I learnt on the holiday.
Keep safe everybody,
Seasons greetings,
Richard.