PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas for Tablesaw Stands

Frederick Skelly
12-21-2013, 2:11 PM
Im moving my old delta contractor saw from its original open frame metal stand to a wooden cabinet style stand mounted on a large mobile base. (Got the mobile base idea from Wood Magazine Idea Shop 5, but I dont like the cabinet they built on top of it.)

Has anyone built a cabinet for your contractor saw? Are there any features that youre really glad you built-in or any that youve since WISHED you included? The new mobile base is 27" by 72", so I can do most of what I want to. I plan lots of drawers, but what else should I have?

Thanks guys!
Fred

Bruce Wrenn
12-21-2013, 9:18 PM
For me, I would do a base for just the saw, and a separate cabinet under the right side table extension. Throw a router in LEFT wing of top, instead of right. This way, router table feed direction is same as saw

Jason White
12-23-2013, 11:34 PM
Be sure to build in a dust collector port!

Im moving my old delta contractor saw from its original open frame metal stand to a wooden cabinet style stand mounted on a large mobile base. (Got the mobile base idea from Wood Magazine Idea Shop 5, but I dont like the cabinet they built on top of it.)

Has anyone built a cabinet for your contractor saw? Are there any features that youre really glad you built-in or any that youve since WISHED you included? The new mobile base is 27" by 72", so I can do most of what I want to. I plan lots of drawers, but what else should I have?

Thanks guys!
Fred

Mike Nguyen
12-24-2013, 1:32 AM
Take a look at what I did to my previous table saw here.
http://s908.photobucket.com/user/michaelandtrina/library/?sort=3&page=1
Mike

Ed Baggett
02-21-2014, 10:56 AM
Pretty neat Mike. I just bought a new TS. Will use your pics as a guide.

Eric Schubert
02-21-2014, 12:57 PM
Mike, that cabinet looks awesome. Great job on it! I love how you had the motor come out on the back side, rather than try to hide it internally. Looks very professional.

Doug Garson
02-21-2014, 1:35 PM
Have a look at Laney Shaughnessy's web site. He did a two part video on building a table saw base a few years ago.

Clay Crocker
02-21-2014, 2:55 PM
This is what I did to my previous saw:

Mike Ontko
02-21-2014, 5:18 PM
How about a flip-up panel for outfeed support?

Stew Hagerty
02-21-2014, 6:45 PM
Take a look at what I did to my previous table saw here.
http://s908.photobucket.com/user/michaelandtrina/library/?sort=3&page=1
Mike

Mike, what do you do when you want to cut bevels? I assume the back panels come off somehow.

Mike Nguyen
02-21-2014, 7:53 PM
Mike, what do you do when you want to cut bevels? I assume the back panels come off somehow.
Yes, the back panels have to come off but in my 4 years of woodworking, I have not find a need to cut bevel yet. I thought about it when I built the box in the back and said to myself, if I need to take them off once every 4 or 5 years, I will go through the trouble taking them off which take about 2 minutes.
Mike

Stew Hagerty
02-22-2014, 2:06 PM
Yes, the back panels have to come off but in my 4 years of woodworking, I have not find a need to cut bevel yet. I thought about it when I built the box in the back and said to myself, if I need to take them off once every 4 or 5 years, I will go through the trouble taking them off which take about 2 minutes.
Mike

You haven't had to cut a bevel in 4 years? ?
Now, I certainly don't do it every day by a long stretch. But, I have to do it at least once on a fair percentage of my projects.
Of course, I don't have mine sealed up nearly as well as you do either. I used 2 pieces of ply and attached one on each side with RE magnets. Together, they cover up probably 70% of the opening and they go on or off in a matter of seconds.
Whenever I build a whole cabinet I would like to enclose the whole assembly.

Mike Nguyen
02-22-2014, 10:15 PM
You haven't had to cut a bevel in 4 years? ?

I should have said I have never cut bevel ever. For the 4 to 5 years since I started with this hobby, I have not built what I would call furniture yet. All the stuffs that I did are built-in cabinets for 4 houses and a dental office. So basically just boxes and raise panel doors.

robert morrison
02-23-2014, 8:03 PM
I would go along the lines of Clay's idea. Build the box that is under the saw deep enough that it goes back beyond the motor a little.

If the motor is enclosed into the same cabinet as the bottom of the saw, you will have a sealed box for dust collection.

It would be handy to have additional cabinetry to the right of the saw if your fence tube extends that way.

my .02