PDA

View Full Version : removing green finish from metal vise screws

Marko Milisavljevic
12-20-2013, 6:58 PM
This is not really a woodworking topic, but I thought some of you multi-talented guys would know.... I'm building a bench using tail vise screws sold by LV (http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=41664&cat=1,41659&c=) that have that heavy green finish on hardware parts. I find it ugly and would like to strip it and replace it with baked-on flax oil finish (I did this as per Benchrafted (http://benchcrafted.blogspot.ca/2011/10/i-cooked-my-vises.html) on my Moxon vise wheels and the result is just wonderful)

Any advice on how to strip this finish?

Todd Burch
12-20-2013, 9:42 PM
Any manner of paint remover will probably work. Lacquer thinner too. Heck, a long bath in a strong TSP solution would probably soften it enough that a wire brush would take it off.

Winton Applegate
12-20-2013, 10:13 PM
Paint stripper yes.
I would add :

wire brush before applying the stripper so the chemicals have some inroads to help get UNDER or INTO the paint.

I find stuff called or rated as "Marine" stripper to be most effective on paint that is over metal perhaps because the paint has been more agressively cured than paint is on furniture.

Be sure the striper is at least 70 ° and the same with the metal parts. A little warmer is better but don't create a ventilation problem for your self.

More than one wire brush, apply stripper and remove paint/stripper cycle may be neccesary depending on how well the factory prepared the surface they painted over.

PS:
Use a very aggressive stout brush like this
http://www.amazon.com/Forney-70505-Scratch-4-Inch----014-Inch/dp/B000BQSBUE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1387596154&sr=8-2&keywords=wire+brush
not a little wimpy one like this
http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-7064-Mini-Brush-3-Piece/dp/B0037UUZRS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1387596223&sr=8-3&keywords=wire+brush

Winton Applegate
12-21-2013, 12:01 AM
PPS:
Paint stripper fumes react with open flame to create really bad fumes so be careful how you warm up the stuff.
I set the stripper in warm tap water and warm the parts away from the stripper in another room with a space heater.

Marko Milisavljevic
12-21-2013, 12:22 AM
I'm having second thoughts now, it sounds like work. I wonder how it would work out of I baked flax on top of existing paint. Assuming it doesn't crack the paint (may even make it "better"?) it could be an interesting effect, translucent chocolate on top of green.

Winton Applegate
12-21-2013, 1:50 AM
having second thoughts now, it sounds like work.

Time to take up another sport.

Actually I find talking about woodworking much less fatiguing than actually doing it so I have no room to talk sitting here (lying here actually) and blabbing on shamelessly like this. Quite pathetic.

You are going to absolutely hate using the bench with hand planes. Now THAT is work.
A little brush brush and slop slop . . . work ?

PS:
translucent chocolate on top of green.
uuuurrrrRRRP !
excuse me
UuuuUUrrRRRP !
excuse me

I'll be right back

Marko Milisavljevic
12-21-2013, 2:04 AM
On further self-examination, it is not the actual work that's putting me off, it is uncertainty and fear of failure... what if I do all this toxic dipping and scrubbing, and it doesn't work out? :eek: I'm not sure I can deal with that.

Winton Applegate
12-21-2013, 2:10 AM
what if I do all this toxic dipping and scrubbing, and it doesn't work out?
I was going to add in my original post the next foray but I am pretty sure the Marine stripper will kill it dead.
If not it is off to the head stone sand blast dudes at a head stone shop.
For a bit of cash they will blast any thing on the metal OFF.
BE SURE TO HEAVILY TAPE OVER ANY AREAS THAT YOU DON'T WANT SAND BLASTED USING DUCT TAPE.

Why not do this to start with ?
It is faster to just strip it your self than all the driving back and forth and waiting for them to get around to your project and going to pick it up etc.

Kees Heiden
12-21-2013, 5:48 AM
Sandblasting always works. But a heavy steel wirewheel works too. Better on an angle grinder then on a drill. And sanding. This stuff is probably powder coated, so I wonder if paint striper actually does anything at all. Get the most agressive one you can find.

Bob Jones
12-22-2013, 9:56 PM
I used two of these screws on my bench. I didn't care for the green at all, but I decided to not spend time repainting them. 3 years later I don't think about it much. :)

Marko Milisavljevic
12-23-2013, 12:58 AM
I put some lacquer thinner on it with a paper towel, and the paint immediately became hazed and softer and it seams clear that it would work with a little elbow grease, but no drastic measures. This may all seem elementary, but I never stripped paint off anything. I'll post the naked metal, and final result with baked on oil when I'm done.

Marko Milisavljevic
12-25-2013, 5:03 PM
As it comes from Lee Valley:

Here is bare casting:

After the treatment:

I love the end result. You get full texture of the casting, which looks far better than texture partially hidden with thick paint, which just looks sloppy and cheap. Out with boring semi-gloss industrial green and in with wonderful translucent chocolate-brown. It also fixes the issue of shiny washer. Great way to improve this perfectly functional and well made but not pretty product.

Todd Hyman
12-27-2013, 9:44 AM
Marko that looks great. How did you do the baked on finish and what products did you use?

Marko Milisavljevic
12-27-2013, 1:07 PM
I used the process as described here: http://benchcrafted.blogspot.ca/2011/09/omega-3-fatty-acid-for-your-cast-iron.html I can't emphasize enough that you need very thin coats. You should barely be able to feel it has any oil on it.

Todd Hyman
12-27-2013, 1:16 PM
Thank you Marko.

Kurt Cady
12-27-2013, 6:37 PM
I would love to do that. My wife would kill me for doing that in her oven. Time to look for a toaster oven at a garage sale

Darren Brown
01-01-2014, 12:25 PM
Marko,

How many coats did you need to achieve that color? Looks great by the way and I'm really tempted to try it.

Darren

Wayne Hendrix
01-01-2014, 3:31 PM
I would love to do that. My wife would kill me for doing that in her oven. Time to look for a toaster oven at a garage sale

That is the great thing about doing this. It doesn't affect the oven, I do it for my cast iron. Benchcrafted picked up the technique from here: http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/ It does make the house smell a little bit while doing it but it goes away quickly.

Marko Milisavljevic
01-01-2014, 9:33 PM
Marko,

How many coats did you need to achieve that color?.

Darren

This was 5 coats. Color of cast parts changed very little after 3rd coat or so, but it was clear on the washer that additional coats had effect. Looking at the washer, more coats would make it more even but probably not necessary as far as rust protection.