PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Motor Delay before Start

Scott Vanzo
12-20-2013, 6:09 PM
Hello all. After googling around for a while, I have to pose my question to the experience at SMC.

Two years ago I bought a used 1981 14" Rockwell bandsaw that came with the original 1/2 HP Delta motor. Ever since I have owned the saw, the motor has always took 1-2 seconds after the switch is thrown to start running. There is no humming that I can hear, just silence, then the motor finally engages after the brief delay. Otherwise the motor behaves fine.

The switch appears to be a simple on/off light switch. I did not wire the switch. Could the delay a symptom of a failing motor capacitor or a wiring/fuse issue?

Any advice appreciated.

Happy holidays to everyone!

-Scott

Bill Bukovec
12-20-2013, 7:54 PM
If it's a simple switch, I would buy a new one and try it. A 20 amp switch (the kind you use for lights) from the hardware store should do the trick.

Let us know if his works.

HANK METZ
12-20-2013, 8:05 PM
A typical motor like that should be up to speed within 1/2 second of power on. I'd also suspect a failing capacitor or a centrifugal switch that may need contacts cleaned or to be replaced. By pass the switch and give it a bump start to eliminate that as a problem. Also, and this is a long shot but I have found it to be true with used equipment: double check the motor wiring for proper voltage setup if a dual power design.

Ronald Blue
12-20-2013, 11:37 PM
I think Bill is thinking what I am. If you don't hear anything then I suspect your switch is "hanging" before it snaps over even though the toggle is moving. It's not unreasonable to think the switch could have been infiltrated in 33 years with dust. Either try the switch Bill mentioned or simply unplug it, turn the switch on and plug it back in. If there is no delay then you have isolated the problem.