PDA

View Full Version : My best work yet

Ernie Nyvall
06-09-2005, 9:51 PM
You may be wondering how I was able to accomplish such a turning. It appears to be broken right? Well, I didn't gouge it out or sand it out. I didn't do it on the tripoli or white diamond bar. The secret is to be in a little bit of a hurry to finish because you are being called to supper and don't want to put it down. Go through the first two buffing wheels (supper is getting cold) and finally on the carnauba wax wheel, shove it in there real fast and presto bingo. :eek:

Ernie

Jerry Clark
06-09-2005, 10:12 PM
That is to bad Earnie, I would get out the CA and nbot tell anyone!:rolleyes: It was looking good and will still be OK. :D

Mike Ramsey
06-09-2005, 10:58 PM
Ernie, put it thru the bandsaw and make a shallow platter with it ;).

Bud Duffy
06-10-2005, 1:14 AM
Ernie i have a couple of small bowls like that ( used titebond 2 to put back together) SWMBO likes them says it adds charicter . Either Mike's or Jerry's idea sounds ok to me also. Other than that it still looks pretty good from here. Bud

John Hart
06-10-2005, 6:37 AM
That wood looks familiar Ernie! I just had a walnut bowl explode on me and I decided to piece it back together and go ahead and finish it. I am surprised at how it is turning out. I'll post in a couple days

Fred Ray
06-10-2005, 10:35 AM
We've probably all done afew like that. Recently, however, I've learned the secret.:rolleyes:

First you quit calling your shop a "shop" - call it a "studio". Then cut the pieces of the blown out turning into more pieces and reassemble them in random order. Whack it, beat it with a chain, shoot it with a shotgun, drag it down the road behind the car to give it some "texture" and a nice "tactile" feel. Call it "art" produced in your "studio" and sell it for exhorbitant prices.:D :D :D

Raymond Overman
06-10-2005, 1:03 PM
Rounding those sharp corners out and making a winged bowl wouldn't be too hard on a bandsaw or scroll saw. Then some piercings through wings to give it a filigree look.

Could be you've found your niche Ernie!

Mike Ramsey
06-10-2005, 1:11 PM
I kinda like Freds Idea :D . But post a pic after you shoot it with the Shotgun!! I would like to see that texture seperately from the others :D.

Steve Rowe
06-10-2005, 1:42 PM
We've probably all done afew like that. Recently, however, I've learned the secret.:rolleyes:

First you quit calling your shop a "shop" - call it a "studio". Then cut the pieces of the blown out turning into more pieces and reassemble them in random order. Whack it, beat it with a chain, shoot it with a shotgun, drag it down the road behind the car to give it some "texture" and a nice "tactile" feel. Call it "art" produced in your "studio" and sell it for exhorbitant prices.:D :D :D
Fred - I like the way you think. Looks like about a $750 bowl to me.
Steve

Fred Ray
06-10-2005, 3:52 PM
I'm just reporting what I see. With all due respect to some of the really good profession woodturning artists out there, there appear to be some who are doing exactly what I described and are making big bucks doing it. My problem is that I can't seem to get into either of the above groups.:(

Ernie Nyvall
06-10-2005, 7:22 PM
That's funny Fred. With all due respect to my sister, I think she would take it as is.

Yea John, that is some of the spalted elm that I"ve done a couple of bowls out of.

As far as piecing it back together... well those two bites out of it broke into many pieces. I think I'll leave it out there as a reminder to not get in a hurry.

Ernie