PDA

View Full Version : Need info on who makes the best biscuit jointer

danny sammons
12-20-2013, 2:02 PM
I am going to buy a biscuit jointer.need info on who makes one that is reliable

Rod Sheridan
12-20-2013, 2:07 PM
Lamello.....................Regards, Rod.

Dave Zellers
12-20-2013, 2:09 PM
I love my DeWalt.

Comfortable to hold and operate with one hand if necessary and pretty good chip collection.

Larry Browning
12-20-2013, 2:16 PM
Lamello.....................Regards, Rod.
Of course if you don't want to take out a loan to get one, The Porter-Cable 557 is a pretty good one. Others will tell you to not bother with a biscuit jointer and get a domino, but that will require a bigger loan than for the Lamello.

I would suggest you do some research here and on google. You will find a plethora of information and advice on biscuit jointers as well as alternatives.

Mike Henderson
12-20-2013, 2:39 PM
The Lamello is probably the best. I have the DeWalt and it works fine. The Porter Cable has the advantage of doing face frame biscuits.

But why do you want a biscuit joiner? I never used mine much, and after I got a Domino I really never use it. Probably should sell it.

Mike

Rod Sheridan
12-20-2013, 3:12 PM
The Lamello is probably the best. I have the DeWalt and it works fine. The Porter Cable has the advantage of doing face frame biscuits.

But why do you want a biscuit joiner? I never used mine much, and after I got a Domino I really never use it. Probably should sell it.

Mike

A good question Mike, I have the Porter Cable model, it's a real dust collector, sits on the shelf for years gathering dust.

I don't have a Domino (maybe I should add yet"?) as I still make M&T joints using a hollow chisel mortiser and a shaper.............Regards, Rod.

Nike Nihiser
12-20-2013, 3:14 PM
FWW did a comparison test not long ago, IIRC.

Biff Phillips
12-20-2013, 3:20 PM
The Porter Cable is nice because it has the FF (small) biscuit size. I have heard good things about the Dewalt too.

I have the PC one, I have used it thousands of times. I think it's better than a domino in some applications.
If I was you, I'd ask a forum if anyone has a biscuit cutter for sale. Lots of people don't like one, or claim they just collect dust. I've seen great deals for used ones.

I think it's a worthwhile tool to have.

Loren Woirhaye
12-20-2013, 3:25 PM
Lamello is probably the most precise. Mafell makes a good one too. I have the Mafell dowel joiner and the fence is the same. For biscuits I use the Porter Cable but it's a trick to get the slots dead on where I want them and they come out a bit tilted sometimes. I have not used it a lot so it may be an operator issue in my case. A lot depends on the level of precision you need from a plate joiner. The Lamello joiners are pricey but you can count on Lamello precision.

Mark Woodmark
12-20-2013, 3:39 PM
I have (2) biscuit joiners and very rarely use either of them. I have slot cutting bits for my hand held router as well as a few different diameter bearings so I can rout different depth slots. I then make my own splines. This allows me to make the joint as tight or as loose as I want. I have found most biscuit joiner slots to be too sloppy even for the compressed biscuits. This experience is based on my two Porter Cables and a friends DeWalt. If I were going to buy one today, I would get the Lamello. My understanding is that is is much better than anything else out there. If Im not mistaken (and please correct me if I am) I think they invented the thing. Finally if you do decide on the Lamello be sure to bring your checkbook

David Weaver
12-20-2013, 3:58 PM
I have the dewalt 982 that's the same that probably everyone else has. My sentiments are identical to Mike Henderson's more or less, I'm not sure why I haven't sold it.

It does what it's supposed to do and is pretty much point and shoot, though, and not too expensive.

Jeff Duncan
12-20-2013, 3:59 PM
I use the Porter Cable version and I do use it regularly. It has everything I want/need in a biscuit joiner and has proven reliable, I've had it over ten years anyway. If you want the best than I'd agree Lamello has a reputation for being the best. Really depends on what your going to do with it, but I don't agree that the Domino is a replacement for it. Not to mention the tenons for the Domino are significantly more expensive than biscuits., which is also a factor…..at least for someone who goes through a couple boxes of them a year;)

good luck,
JeffD

Keith Hankins
12-20-2013, 4:15 PM
I had the PC 557 and it was a good unit. Sold that when I bought my Domino. Sold the domino when I bought the PM 719T Mortiser. Don't see much need for Biscuit jointer. Only purpose they ever served IMO was to align boards on glue ups. They don't provide any real strenght. I do a panel glue-up now and just align and apply gentle pressure till its all good then a little pressure. With modern glues, thats all you need. Never had a joint fail. IMO the labor added to use em ain't worth it, but if you want one, PC, dewalt would be my pic. I think Norm alone was responsible for the market demand for them. :)

Phil Thien
12-20-2013, 4:16 PM
I have the PC. I've tried the Makita, it was nice, too.

Lots of people look down their noses at biscuit jointers. I use mine quite a bit, for things that would probably shock some members here.

Steve Rozmiarek
12-20-2013, 5:08 PM
I have found most biscuit joiner slots to be too sloppy even for the compressed biscuits.

Try the Lamello biscuits. They are worth the extra $, and fit my Makita's slots a heck of a lot better than anything else I've tried. I did use mine recently, for a sash cutter, but it counts, right?

Mark Woodmark
12-20-2013, 5:14 PM
Try the Lamello biscuits. They are worth the extra $, and fit my Makita's slots a heck of a lot better than anything else I've tried. I did use mine recently, for a sash cutter, but it counts, right?

Thank you, but I think I will stick with my router and slot cutters. I only use the biscuit joiner when I cant do it with the router. I am thinking of trying the Lamello biscuits to test them out

Mark Woodmark
12-20-2013, 5:20 PM
I had the PC 557 and it was a good unit. Sold that when I bought my Domino. Sold the domino when I bought the PM 719T Mortiser. Don't see much need for Biscuit jointer. Only purpose they ever served IMO was to align boards on glue ups. They don't provide any real strenght. I do a panel glue-up now and just align and apply gentle pressure till its all good then a little pressure. With modern glues, thats all you need. Never had a joint fail. IMO the labor added to use em ain't worth it, but if you want one, PC, dewalt would be my pic. I think Norm alone was responsible for the market demand for them. :)

Some woodworkers feel the disruption in panel glue ups with a biscuit actually weakens the joint. Joint your edges correctly and work on alignment at glue up and you wont have any problems

Sam Murdoch
12-20-2013, 5:53 PM
Here is a good read on the Lamello Top 21 model. It is really the best at this job. http://www.thisiscarpentry.com/2012/08/17/lamello-top-21-review/
I have to admit though that I haven't upgraded to this version yet. I guess if I didn't also use the Festool Domino I would certainly have traded up to the
Lamello Top 21. It is not a Domino but neither is the Domino a biscuiter and too me both are very useful.

Larry Edgerton
12-20-2013, 5:58 PM
Some woodworkers feel the disruption in panel glue ups with a biscuit actually weakens the joint..

Bologna.....

Do some actual tests and you will find that to be just a woodworking snob fantasy.

Biscuit joiners are a great tool for what they are intended for. I own a Lamello for the shop and several Dewalts for site work, and really, the Dewalts are just fine for the kind of things you will use one for. I have used a newer Porter Cable as well and it was a good tool too.

If you make a living at doing woodwork time is not something you can waste, and biscuit joiners save time. Many of the places that I use them they are not necessary but it speeds up the assembly process so much it saves me, you guessed it, time.

I have never seen the biscuit shadows that I hear people talking about so I have no clue how they do that as I have used untold thousands of biscuits over the years. In the houses that I build every trim corner has a biscuit in it, sills are biscuited to the windows, the ends of T&G but joints get a biscuit, shelving systems are dadoed and dry assembled in the shop with face frames biscuited so they can be carried in the house in pieces and quickly assembled in site, and the list of uses go on.

I would not build a piece of furniture with biscuits, but that is not their intended use.

Larry

Mark Wooden
12-20-2013, 6:11 PM
My experience parallels Jeff's, and the PC works fine for me. I've used the DeWalt, a Metabo, an Elu (still think it was a cool design for mounting to a table) and the Lamello.The Lamello was the most accurate.

I use my PC quite a bit with casing glue ups, cabinet dividers :eek: , panel glue ups. When you have to get things done, off the bench and on to the next thing ,they do speed things up as far as alignment. As to strength, the old FFW did a pretty comprehensive test of different joinery some years ago and bisquits scored pretty well, I may try to dig it out, I still have the issue. I've never had any problems with telegraphing or joint failure using them for probably 20 years or more. YMMV.

Larry Edgerton
12-20-2013, 6:37 PM

Steve, good but I have you beat. I made an sole plate for one of mine that rides on the studs and cuts slots in log walls for drywall to slip into. Accurate and saves me a lot of time. Probably not so good for the tool, but hey, its just a grinder with a blade.

All of the cutters that I am aware of cut the same size slot no matter the brand.

Larry

Jeff Duncan
12-20-2013, 6:37 PM
I think one thing that should be considered, having read several more posts, is the kind of work you are doing. The idea that they can only be used for one type of joint or assembly just shows that there are people with limited knowledge on their use. These are tools that are in daily use in cabinet shops across the country and were popular long before Norm ever heard of one. For those of use who create a wide variety of work they are an invaluable tool. However I can also see if your only doing furniture or some other specific type of work, they may be much less necessary. So while they probably are not for everyone, the idea that they are not of use in general is actually pretty silly. As well as the idea that they do not add any real strength. Just because some people don't see a use for them, does not in any way make them any less useful for those who do;)

good luck,
JeffD

Cary Falk
12-20-2013, 7:40 PM
I had the DeWalt. I sold it to buy the Porter Cable 557 so I could use FF biscuits. The PC also has a wider range of angles on the fence. Both do a fine job.

Mike Henderson
12-20-2013, 7:42 PM
For the people who use biscuit joiners, what do you use them for? I never found much use for mine, but maybe that's because I mostly build furniture. Maybe people who build cabinets have more use for them.

Mike

[I didn't use them for gluing panels because I can align the boards without them, there's always a risk that you may have to trim the panel and expose a biscuit, and the slots are storage space for moisture (from the glue) which then can cause a dimple when the moisture finally equalizes (if you sand before that).]

Mark Woodmark
12-20-2013, 7:45 PM
Bologna.....

Do some actual tests and you will find that to be just a woodworking snob fantasy.

Biscuit joiners are a great tool for what they are intended for. I own a Lamello for the shop and several Dewalts for site work, and really, the Dewalts are just fine for the kind of things you will use one for. I have used a newer Porter Cable as well and it was a good tool too.

If you make a living at doing woodwork time is not something you can waste, and biscuit joiners save time. Many of the places that I use them they are not necessary but it speeds up the assembly process so much it saves me, you guessed it, time.

I have never seen the biscuit shadows that I hear people talking about so I have no clue how they do that as I have used untold thousands of biscuits over the years. In the houses that I build every trim corner has a biscuit in it, sills are biscuited to the windows, the ends of T&G but joints get a biscuit, shelving systems are dadoed and dry assembled in the shop with face frames biscuited so they can be carried in the house in pieces and quickly assembled in site, and the list of uses go on.

I would not build a piece of furniture with biscuits, but that is not their intended use.

Larry

Thank you for your input Larry......I think. You may be right, but it makes sense to me that the disruption in a glued edge with a sloppy fitting biscuit would only create a weak area in that joint. I have done some of my own test and have read articles on other test.

From the flavor of your post I assume you use yours mostly for home building. The biscuit joiner has its place in crafting, home building and some woodworking. I also do home remodeling and home repairs as well as woodworking. I very rarely see or hear of contractors following up on their work say 3 or 5 years later to see how it has held up. Most seem to get in, get their work done and get out. As you eluded to its all about time and money. Quality is a trade off that must be made to satisfy the consumer.

I still feel biscuits are not very strong. I dont personally know of any woodworkers who produces high quality pieces of furniture who use biscuits when edge gluing. If the edges of both boards are jointed correctly, biscuits may have the opposite effect on an otherwise strong glue joint

Maybe you have never seen biscuit shadows because the biscuits fit in the slots so loosely, even after they have supposedly expanded from the moisture in the glue

Steve Rozmiarek
12-20-2013, 8:34 PM
Steve, good but I have you beat. I made an sole plate for one of mine that rides on the studs and cuts slots in log walls for drywall to slip into. Accurate and saves me a lot of time. Probably not so good for the tool, but hey, its just a grinder with a blade.

All of the cutters that I am aware of cut the same size slot no matter the brand.

Larry

That's clever Larry! I have another one, I wanted to wrap a piece of banding inlay around each leg of an easel once. The angles complicate the idea, so I just set the thing up on my bench, sat the biscuit cutter on a scrap to get the height right, and went around each leg at the shallowest setting. Inlay a little purpleheart in the maple, and viola, happy customer!

Cary Falk
12-20-2013, 8:40 PM
Mike,
I think they work great for reinforcing 45* miters on picture frames and furniture aprons, face frames, wainscot, etc. I glued up a large post with the corners with 45* miters so you wouldn’t see end grain. The biscuits worked great for holding the post together while I got the clamps on it. It just snapped together and held itself. They work good for trimming out the inside of windows, although the Kreg pocket hole jig works great for that also. That is just a few of the thing that I can think of off the top of my head. Cary

Mike Henderson
12-20-2013, 8:53 PM
Mike,
I think they work great for reinforcing 45* miters on picture frames and furniture aprons, face frames, wainscot, etc. I glued up a large post with the corners with 45* miters so you wouldn’t see end grain. The biscuits worked great for holding the post together while I got the clamps on it. It just snapped together and held itself. They work good for trimming out the inside of windows, although the Kreg pocket hole jig works great for that also. That is just a few of the thing that I can think of off the top of my head. Cary

I use biscuits for certain miters (similar to picture frames) but I cut the biscuit slot on my router table with a slot cutter. I use a jig to hold the wood. I found that I couldn't get good registration with the biscuit joiner.

I like biscuits in those applications, rather than splines, because the biscuits don't show on the ends, as splines would. So, although I use biscuits, I don't use a biscuit joiner for those applications.

Mike

Mark Blatter
12-20-2013, 11:14 PM
I have used a Lamello and owned a PC (moving company employees decided they needed it more than me) but about two years ago I bought the new doweling tool from Jessem. I use it mostly for face frames. I considered buying a new biscuit joiner but realized that I could pretty much accomplish what I needed to using dowels.

Mike Cutler
12-21-2013, 5:05 AM

Lamello would be about the best. I have a Porter Cable, and I'm sure the DeWalt is a good one too.
If the use is strictly plywood, with an occasional usage for alignment of solid woods, a biscuit jointer is excellent. If you're looking for mechanical strength to join solid woods together a Domino would probably be a better option.
Used for it's designed application, joining plywood together, a biscuit jointer is a very nice tool to have. But then, so is a Domino. ;)

Bill ThompsonNM
12-21-2013, 5:26 AM
Thank you for your input Larry......I think. You may be right, but it makes sense to me that the disruption in a glued edge with a sloppy fitting biscuit would only create a weak area in that joint. I have done some of my own test and have read articles on other test. From the flavor of your post I assume you use yours mostly for home building. The biscuit joiner has its place in crafting, home building and some woodworking. I also do home remodeling and home repairs as well as woodworking. I very rarely see or hear of contractors following up on their work say 3 or 5 years later to see how it has held up. Most seem to get in, get their work done and get out. As you eluded to its all about time and money. Quality is a trade off that must be made to satisfy the consumer. I still feel biscuits are not very strong. I dont personally know of any woodworkers who produces high quality pieces of furniture who use biscuits when edge gluing. If the edges of both boards are jointed correctly, biscuits may have the opposite effect on an otherwise strong glue joint Maybe you have never seen biscuit shadows because the biscuits fit in the slots so loosely, even after they have supposedly expanded from the moisture in the glue

Clearly you have not read very many posts by Larry Edgerton. I'm quite sure that he didn't suggest saving time by compromising quality using biscuits. I'm also quite sure he sees lots of work like most good contractors 5, 10 or even 20 years later since doing good work typically gets you back to your customers houses doing more work in the future. Houses really are not static objects for most of us.

Curt Harms
12-21-2013, 10:25 AM
Of course if you don't want to take out a loan to get one, The Porter-Cable 557 is a pretty good one. Others will tell you to not bother with a biscuit jointer and get a domino, but that will require a bigger loan than for the Lamello.

I would suggest you do some research here and on google. You will find a plethora of information and advice on biscuit jointers as well as alternatives.

Yup, P-C 557 works pretty well. I've used the fence tilting to an acute angle a number of times when joining beveled plywood edges. The beveled edge is sorta trapped between the fence and face so placement is repeatable and it doesn't tend to move when cutting the slot. It seems like biscuit joinery went from the answer to every joinery question to "ain't no good for nuthin' ". For sheet goods they work pretty good IMO. To replace mortise & tenon or loose tenon joinery? Not so much. Here is an example where biscuits sure made my life simpler though it's a very long ways from fine woodworking :p. CDX ply that did not want to stay straight and flat at all. I have no idea how I'd have glued that up without biscuits, dominoes or similar. I also don't know how I'd have cut a spline in the angled surface. I'm sure there's a way but I'm also sure it'd have taken longer than 5 minutes or less.

Loose or sloppy fitting biscuits? Most likely either a bent shaft, bent blade on the cutter or in my case, sloppy technique. I have Porter Cable & Bosch branded biscuits stored in a tight fitting screw top container to keep moisture from swelling the biscuits. They fit nicely.

Mark Woodmark
12-21-2013, 10:38 AM
Clearly you have not read very many posts by Larry Edgerton. I'm quite sure that he didn't suggest saving time by compromising quality using biscuits. I'm also quite sure he sees lots of work like most good contractors 5, 10 or even 20 years later since doing good work typically gets you back to your customers houses doing more work in the future. Houses really are not static objects for most of us.

I was responding to Larrys; Bologna, do the test, post in regards to using biscuits for edge gluing and I stand behind the belief (others and mine) that using biscuits for edge gluing boards together may more likely produce a weaker joint than it would strengthening the joint. Im happy for Larry using them in his trim carpentry work to speed things up. The idea that a contractor calls a home owner 5, 10, or 20 years later and ask to see their work from those many years ago seems to be a stretch to me. Pehaps that happens by accident with repeat business, but that situation is not a good sample size as it may be a very small percentage of all the work done over the years. Houses ARE static objects for many contractors, especially new home construction, and as with my previous post I am not saying Larry is like that.

I must have infringed on the Sawmill Creek good ole boys club. I was the one insulted by Larrys post and now you are coming to his defense?

Steve Rozmiarek
12-21-2013, 11:29 AM
that using biscuits for edge gluing boards together may more likely produce a weaker joint than it would strengthening the joint

Why would it Mark? Doesn't seem to me like it could, but I'm curious.

Gordon Eyre
12-21-2013, 11:57 AM
I too have the DeWalt and like it.

Mark Woodmark
12-21-2013, 12:03 PM
The theory is the biscuit, especially an ill fitting one, is a disruption in the continuous glue surface which may result in a weak area in the glue joint. I feel this may be more true at the boards ends than at their center due to the boards absorbing moisture and expelling moisture over the seasons. This situation may be similar to not having glue at one particular area of the glue joint. I hope I have explained it well enough. If you do some research you will find I am not the only one who feels this way. I originally grasped the concept while reading about it in an article in Fine Woodworking and have since seen reference to it in other writings

Mel Fulks
12-21-2013, 12:30 PM
Well,I see the strength issue as moot ,an accurately cut glued edge joint is stronger than the rest of the piece. I have seen some failures blamed on the glue when the ends were open .But I know better than that.

Stephen Cherry
12-21-2013, 12:48 PM
I was responding to Larrys; Bologna, do the test, post in regards to using biscuits for edge gluing and I stand behind the belief (others and mine) that using biscuits for edge gluing boards together may more likely produce a weaker joint than it would strengthening the joint.

I must have infringed on the Sawmill Creek good ole boys club. I was the one insulted by Larrys post and now you are coming to his defense?

I don't think that it is a good ole boys club, but there are a group of contributors here that very generously share experience that they have picked up over decades of experience. For a relative newcomer woodworker, I appreciate this very much. So, THANKS GUYS.

As for weakening a edge joint, one thing to remember is that edge jointed panels, something like a table top, strength is very seldom an issue. And if the material is thick enough to use with the biscuits- perhaps 3/4 and up, so there is at least 1/4 above and below the biscuit, I can't imagine a problem in strength.

Think of a stressed skin panel, like a hollow door-- almost all the wood is taken out of the middle and it is still very strong because the skins do almost all the work. The reality is that if a bending force is applied the center of the joint, where the biscuit is, is not highly stressed. Remember, the modulus of elasticity of the material causes the stress to be taken by the part of the material that is stretched or shrunk the most, and the stretching happens on the bottom and top.

Mel Fulks
12-21-2013, 1:30 PM
Mark, most of the time I read all of a thread . This time I did not ,I'm not aware of any insult . You have made a technical case I am not able to understand, much less judge. "Moot" doesn't mean wrong ,it just means it doesn't matter. I'm sure you would agree that if one is working alone and can not control a large glue up biscuits can add strength by making sure the pieces don't slide around. It's a forum ,not a test ,try to enjoy it.

Mark Woodmark
12-21-2013, 1:49 PM
I concede, Larry is right, everyone is right and I am wrong, Biscuits make for a stronger glue joint when gluing up panels. Bologna is good, I have not done the test and I am a wood snob.

I am beaten down now so please no one else jump on the band wagon. I have admitted my thinking is wrong and will state I know nothing about working with wood...You win.....great thread!!!

Back to the original question, my understanding is Lamello makes the best biscuit joiner. I think they invented the thing

Lee Reep
12-21-2013, 2:04 PM
I'm buying a Festool Domino right after my credit card cools down from all the Christmas spending! The Domino is not a biscuit joiner, but has replaced biscuit joiners for many since it offers so much stength for the joint. The smaller Domino 500 is pretty pricey -- $900, but nothing on the market does what it does. The new larger Domino 700 is $1275, and is more suited to tables, doors, etc.

I am starting to build some cabinets, and have used my Kreg jig in the past to reinforce joints. I am anxious to add some new capability with the Domino system.

I do have an inexpensive Harbor Freight biscuit joiner (my only HF tool in the shop. I have an HF angle grinder out in the garage that my neighbor borrows periodically ...) My most recent use was to do slotting on a tabletop to anchor it to the frame with Z clips. For that, it works just fine. It is not a precision machine by an stretch, but for my needs, it will do.

Steve Rozmiarek
12-21-2013, 2:44 PM
Mark, I don't think anyone is trying to offend, just thinking out loud about an interesting subject that you brought up. I actually think you are right if the board is thin enough. Consider a 3/8" glueup vs a 1". The gluebond will have more long fibers to bond in a continuous line on the thicker board then the thinner. A break in that continuous bond, ie a biscuit, could make it weaker. I doubt most glueups approach the threshold where it is much of a problem, but I agree that I think it academically exists.

Lee Reep
12-21-2013, 4:07 PM
Well,I see the strength issue as moot ,an accurately cut glued edge joint is stronger than the rest of the piece. I have seen some failures blamed on the glue when the ends were open .But I know better than that.

I'd have to agree. I helped a small woodshop build some boxes. They were cut with beveled edges, so no end grain would show. I would meticulously apply gue to the edges prior to joining all four pieces and clamping.. The owner asked me why. I told him I wanted a good joint. He said not to worry, just put a line of glue along it, slap them togther, and band clamp them top and bottom. Said he had never had one come apart. He was all about speed. While not the way I'd do it, it had worked for him for years.

If properly mated edges have sufficient glue, I think the surrounding wood will give long before the glue joint. And I see biscuits as alignment devices, to speed assembly and align pieces while the glue dries, and not devices to strengthen the joint.

Dave Kirby
12-21-2013, 4:15 PM

I would suggest you do some research here and on google. You will find a plethora of information and advice on biscuit jointers as well as alternatives. +1 on the Porter Cable 557. If you care considering buying the Lamello, you should just scrap the whole thing and go with the Festool Domino! It's better than biscuits by far!

Peter Quinn
12-21-2013, 4:45 PM
I have a makita bought on the sole basis that it was the cheapest good option available. That made it best for me. Dust collection is good with a vacuum, the arbor is tight, the fence is basic but solid. The PC version is nice and has some good features like a better angle scale, the only Lamello I've used was so hosed by years of abuse its hard to make a proper judgement. I use mine for mitered trim, like window and door casings, and similar work. It occasionally comes into play in cabinet work where an open case sits on top of a counter that sits over a lower and you need a construction break with proper alignment but some room for lateral adjustment. Dominos aren't the best option there IMO, and their potential additional strength is moot as long as gravity keeps working. I have no rules about biscuits, they go where I feel they are my best option but never where they are a compromise of quality. Occasionally I need to locate a vertical partition in a cabinet, dowels would work, dominos would work, dados might work, but by the time I consider the options I usually have the biscuit slots layed out and cut.

In the edge glue up argument (I just can't stay out of a good argument) I'm in the who cares camp. I'd say the strongest glue up has all glue and no biscuits, and I make a lot of those. Cauls, clamps, a very wide jointer, a wide belt….I have very little reason to even consider using biscuits in edge glue ups, but mine is mostly shop work in a given environment and usually fairly wide, so all those slots would eat up budget. But arguing that biscuits weaken a glue joint is like arguing that a certain spark plug will give your 460HP Hemi 5 less horse power. Maybe so, maybe you can even find a way to measure it….but its so marginal you can't find a way to make me care. So biscuits, splines, dowels, cauls, nothing, lots of nervous cats in this craft just waiting to be skinned, take it light and do as you wish!

Dave Kirby
12-21-2013, 5:21 PM
The Porter Cable is nice because it has the FF (small) biscuit size. I have heard good things about the Dewalt too.

I have the PC one, I have used it thousands of times. I think it's better than a domino in some applications.
If I was you, I'd ask a forum if anyone has a biscuit cutter for sale. Lots of people don't like one, or claim they just collect dust. I've seen great deals for used ones.

I think it's a worthwhile tool to have. The DeWalt is good, it's almost identical to the Porter Cable 557 but there is a rather big difference that bears consideration, to my mind anyway. The grab handle on the Dewalt is attached to the body of the tool so it moves in and out with the tool as you plunge it. The Porter Cable has the grab handle attached to the face of the tool so it stays static against the workpiece and allows you to plunge the tool independantly of it to make the cut. This helps you to stabilize the tool against the stock during your cut a little better than the Dewalt version. Just my $0.02.

James M Ireland
12-21-2013, 11:48 PM
I have the DeWalt, works great for me and was affordable. I think biscuit joints would work better for me if I could find better biscuits, the Freud ones I've been using seem too small, possibly because I live in a very dry area of the world (and they shrink).

Steve Rozmiarek
12-22-2013, 1:05 AM
I have the DeWalt, works great for me and was affordable. I think biscuit joints would work better for me if I could find better biscuits, the Freud ones I've been using seem too small, possibly because I live in a very dry area of the world (and they shrink).

I do to James, thats why I tried the Lamello biscuits, they are far more uniform and fit tighter than the others I've tried.

Larry Edgerton
12-22-2013, 8:42 AM
I had a problem with sloppy fits for quite a while. What I discovered is that it was my technique, not the tool or the biscuits.

I gave up using the top handle. What I do now in use one hand on the part of the fence that is on the workpiece and push down hard on it, and the other end on the rear handle with the trigger, keeping my eye on the part of the joiner that the cutter comes out of to make sure I am square to the workpeice. The next part is what really improved my joints. I do not guide it out by hand with the hand on the handle, I let the spring pop it out quickly by letting the rear float in my hand. I noticed that I was getting shavings on my way out, making a wedge shaped cut. It seems to be harder to control on the way out than on the way in, so holding the front firmly and letting the spring snap the joiner out has improved my accuracy and the fit of the biscuits immensely.

If you are having problems with loose biscuits, try this, works for me.

Another note. If your biscuits swell in humid conditions put them in the microwave in an open container for about 2-4 minutes depending on how many you are doing. do not put them back in the container right away, let them cool and dry for at least 15 minutes. You just saved some money.:)

Larry

Dave Zellers
12-22-2013, 12:27 PM
I gave up using the top handle. What I do now in use one hand on the part of the fence that is on the workpiece and push down hard on it, and the other end on the rear handle with the trigger, keeping my eye on the part of the joiner that the cutter comes out of to make sure I am square to the workpeice. The next part is what really improved my joints. I do not guide it out by hand with the hand on the handle, I let the spring pop it out quickly by letting the rear float in my hand. I noticed that I was getting shavings on my way out, making a wedge shaped cut. It seems to be harder to control on the way out than on the way in, so holding the front firmly and letting the spring snap the joiner out has improved my accuracy and the fit of the biscuits immensely.

That's what I've always done- works perfectly. On the DeWalt, I can grip the barrel firmly and operate the trigger with my little finger.

Little has been said about gluing technique. I'm pretty obsessive about it- all surfaces are coated liberally before assembly including inside the slot. There is plenty of unused space in the slot for squeeze out and the whole concept of biscuits is to make them swell.

Alan Bienlein
12-22-2013, 12:52 PM
Wrong thread

Dave Zellers
12-22-2013, 1:40 PM
Wrong thread
Whew! I was afraid you were gonna say you put that together with biscuits.

Pretty awesome.

Alan Wright
12-22-2013, 9:45 PM
I'm not taking sides here, but I've had a Dewalt for 15 years and used to use it routinely for all my panel glue ups. However, I would always have slightly misaligned boards because the biscuits didn't really draw the board flush along the surface of the top. I have since bought a Domino, and a Jessum doweling jig, and I haven't used the biscuit joiner since. In my humble opinion, these two tools have replaced the biscuit joiner with better results, depending on the application. I recognize the Domino is very pricey and for a hobbyist perhaps not an option. From a strictly function standpoint, I think it is far superior to a biscuit joiner. From an economics standpoint, not so much. If you can swing it financially, I'd get the Domino and not even consider the Biscuit joiner. If you can't get the Domino, I'd get a good doweling jig for panel glue ups before I bought a biscuit joiner. There is a learning curve to be able to move as fast as a biscuit joiner, but once you get the hang of it, you can mover right along. The Donimo is every bit as fast as a biscuit joiner.

Biff Phillips
12-23-2013, 11:39 AM
Bologna.....

Larry

Yes, this post is spot on.
There are times when a biscuit cutter saves you tons of time.
I'm just a hobbiest, but I got a lot of wood that was rather narrow like 3"-4" wide.
With a biscuit cutter, I can easily glue up about 8 pieces at a time, and they are aligned pretty good.
It would be very difficult (and more time consuming) to glue up that many pieces at a time by any other method and have them aligned as well.
Sure, it's possible, but it takes longer.
I even have plano clamps, and it's a struggle to glue 8-10 pieces at once.

Biscuits are also very helpful for reinforcing miter joints in casing.

I can see that some people prefer other methods, but I don't understand why the biscuit cutter
gets bashed so often here. Biscuiting is a very economical timesaver.

Biff Phillips
12-23-2013, 11:47 AM
I was responding to Larrys; Bologna, do the test, post in regards to using biscuits for edge gluing and I stand behind the belief (others and mine) that using biscuits for edge gluing boards together may more likely produce a weaker joint than it would strengthening the joint.

Seriously, has anyone ever had an edge to edge glue joint fail (assuming they were past the initial learning curve and clamped it correctly)? I doubt anyone on this forum ever has.
The amount of gluing surface lost to a biscuit slot is very small. Maybe if you run the tests, a biscuit makes the glue joint marginally weaker, but who really cares? The purpose of a biscuit on an edge joint is not to strengthen the joint, the purpose is to align and save time.

Jeff Duncan
12-23-2013, 3:34 PM
I guess the edge to edge thing is a real hot button topic:confused: As I said earlier I use a couple boxes of biscuits a year though I don't think I ever use them on edge to edge. I think unfortunately guys are so hung up on this edge to edge topic that they're blind to all the other uses for biscuits:o As Peter mentioned they're quick and easy for cabinet middle dividers. I use them all the time to align narrow casings to jambs that have to be installed pre-finished, as again….they're quick and easy….and b/c the Domino's would be too thick;) I use the Biscuit joiner all the time and it's just a matter of deciding at that time what the best tool for the job is. And maybe a Festool could replace many of them, but it won't replace all of them and you'll pay a handsome price for that convenience.

good luck,
JeffD

Sam Murdoch
12-23-2013, 4:34 PM
I do not hesitate to use either biscuits or dominos for edge gluing as they both help immensely for alignment and registration if I want to keep patterns in a certain arrangement. I have no illusion that they are enhancing the strength of the glue joint but they can't hurt. Makes glue up very easy. I must admit that I now prefer dominos for this purpose but biscuits have been my allies over the years. As Jeff writes above - good for some interior trim work too.

I have only seen biscuit telegraph through a table top once in many many hundreds of applications. That was due to my not getting the finish right and so sanding the top 4 or 5 times to bare wood before I settled on the right color and sheen. I was playing and didn't really care but was still surprised and educated by the appearance of the biscuit shadows. Set the depth to center or deeper from the face of a 3/4" board and you should never have any trouble.

One use for biscuits that I will not substitute dominos for is when I attach face frames to cabinets. The looseness of biscuits in this case is a huge advantage while providing good alignment. Dominos are just too exact for this job. I do not use pocket screws or face fastenings for this job - biscuits are king. That's just my way.

Alan Bienlein
12-23-2013, 5:41 PM
Whew! I was afraid you were gonna say you put that together with biscuits.

Pretty awesome.

Hate to burst any ones bubble but there are quite a few biscuits used in the construction of this. In these two pictures the red lines show where I used biscuits to either align sub assemblies as in the shelf unit here lying on it's side or for the doors so that I could maximize my material.

Jason White
12-23-2013, 11:32 PM
I use a DeWalt connected to my Festool CT22 vac and it's works great with no dust. Plenty accurate and reliable if used correctly.

Stephen Cherry
12-24-2013, 12:21 AM
All this talk about biscuits is making me hungry.

Mike Cutler
12-24-2013, 6:14 AM
All this talk about biscuits is making me hungry.

I'll take mine with sausage gravy.;)

Mark Wooden
12-24-2013, 8:23 AM
I'm bored so I'm going to throw another log on the fire here-
Re: loss of surface area when using biscuits-
So, you plunge cut two 5/32" x 2-1/2" slots in the edges of a couple of boards. Ok, you lose that much gluing surface. But the biscuit ( a # 20) measures +- 2-1/4" x 15/16" on two sides.

Seems to me you're adding a couple inches (over 3 in the case of a #20) of glue surface.

Just an observation. YMMV