PDA

View Full Version : Woodpecker: Precision Router Lift V2 (PRL-V2) - Request for feedback from users

Ron Humphrey
12-20-2013, 9:52 AM
I am considering this lift and would appreciate hearing the pros & cons from anyone that has experience using it. I expect to combine it with a Porter-Cable 7518 Variable Speed 3-1/4 HP Motor

Frederick Ieppert
12-20-2013, 11:29 AM
I have the Incra version of this router lift and love it. I went wuth the Incra version because I liked the inserts that were held in by magnets.

Matt Meiser
12-20-2013, 11:46 AM
I have it but upgraded mine to the Side Winder which they've apparently discontinued?

I like the Sidewinder feature better than the thumbwheel, but the thumbwheel certainly wasn't bad. The quick up/down feature is way better than cranking and cranking and ...

John Huds0n
12-20-2013, 12:35 PM
I considered the PRL-V2, but ended up going with the Mast-R-Lift II (Incra Versions)

The main advantage to the PRL-V2 is the speed of the bit changes using the 'quick adjuster' which they indicate takes about 2 seconds (it takes me about 5 seconds to crank mine up)

I liked the design of the Mast-R-Lift which comes with four aluminum mounting blocks that will accept about a dozen different routers by simply changing which holes you use in the block

I ended up calling and speaking to them about it

Here is a link to a comparison between the two:
http://incra.com/info/LiftComparison_042111.pdf

http://www.incrementaltools.com/INCRA_PRL_V2_Porter_Cable_7518_p/incra%20prl-v2%20lift.htm

http://www.incrementaltools.com/INCRA_Mast_R_Lift_II_p/incra%20mast-r-lift%20ii.htm

Rick Markham
12-20-2013, 12:35 PM
I have that exact setup you are looking at. It has been a wonderful setup and I don't have a single complaint. If it would have been available at the time, I would have gone for the sidewinder. It's been a very good lift/router combo

Cyrus Brewster 7
12-20-2013, 12:38 PM
This may be a bit long winded, but I figured I could point out some subtle differences that may not be apparent.

First I own the original PRL and the Jessem Mast R Lift II (Incra version). However, I have used the PRL V2. I think between the PRL V2 and the Mast R Lift you cannot go wrong - you will like either. Both heavy, very well built with the ability for fine adjustments. Basically it is like dust collectors (Oneida vs Clear Vue vs Grizzly) - people will recommend what they have because all work well.

The PRL has a quick lift function that allows fast rough height adjustments and incorporates a thumb wheel for fine adjustments. The Mast R Lift uses a crank. After using both I am of the opinion that the crank is a little bit easier to use as it is only one step. It really does not take long to make adjustments. I guess in theory the PRL should be faster but you still need to perform two steps to adjust the bit height.

+1 for Mast R Lift

The PRL uses a set screw/friction to keep the bit from changing height during operations. To adjust this a separate hex key is needed to adjust to screw. The Mast R Lift has a positive lock utilizing the same height adjustment crank - one tool. After adjusting bit height, slip the crank in the lock, turn, bit does not move.

+1 Mast R Lift

The PRL carriage is milled from a solid piece of aluminum with no way to add stresses on the steel post slides. To fit different sized router motors you will need to purchase different pads to secure into the carriage. If you do not change your router out, this point is moot as you choose the pads at the time of purchase - different pads cost more. Using set screws, you tighten the pads around the motor. I have read where some say this is a detriment to the design but I feel otherwise - the distance between the bushings in the carriage does not change, so no binding on the posts. And the carriage is not split like on the Mast R lift.

However, the way the carriage on the Mast R Lift clamps on the motor can cause it to bind on the posts. The carriage itself is the clamp. The more you tighten the carriage around the motor, the more you can cause the carriage bushings to squeeze together. I experienced this when installing my Ridgid motor. If I tightened slightly more than what was needed to keep the motor from falling out, it became difficult to fully lower the router. I fixed this by placing masking tape on two of the carriage pads that hold the motor. Please keep in mind that I have never heard of this problem before I experienced it so it may have had to do with my router. It is however inherent to the design.

The one thing that shines about the Mas R Lift design is that there is no need to purchase different pads for different motor sizes. Just follow the chart included in the instructions and adjust the placement for the pads to suit the brand of router you have. This was my reason for purchasing it - the PRL would accommodate the Ridgid motor.

+1 PRL - it is a heavier duty design.

The perfect lift, IMHO, would be a mix between the PRL carriage, with the raising/locking ability of the Mast R Lift. But I will tell you if I had to buy now - with I would probably lean towards the PRL simply for its heftiness. Please be aware though that I am absolutely happy with the Mast R Lift. But come to think of it, I might get sick of using the lift rod/thumb wheel/set screw lock of the PRL. Good thing I am already covered in this department.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-20-2013, 1:12 PM
I have the PRL-V2 and like it. It performs as advertised. I didn't get the SideWinder version.

Clay Fails
12-20-2013, 5:33 PM
I have the PRL-V2 and like it. It performs as advertised. I didn't get the SideWinder version.

I recently purchased the General International Excalibur cast iron table with lift, and I like both quite well. The lift seems pretty solid.

Alan Bienlein
12-20-2013, 6:23 PM
This may be a bit long winded, but I figured I could point out some subtle differences that may not be apparent.

First I own the original PRL and the Jessem Mast R Lift II (Incra version). However, I have used the PRL V2. I think between the PRL V2 and the Mast R Lift you cannot go wrong - you will like either. Both heavy, very well built with the ability for fine adjustments. Basically it is like dust collectors (Oneida vs Clear Vue vs Grizzly) - people will recommend what they have because all work well.

The PRL has a quick lift function that allows fast rough height adjustments and incorporates a thumb wheel for fine adjustments. The Mast R Lift uses a crank. After using both I am of the opinion that the crank is a little bit easier to use as it is only one step. It really does not take long to make adjustments. I guess in theory the PRL should be faster but you still need to perform two steps to adjust the bit height.

+1 for Mast R Lift

The PRL uses a set screw/friction to keep the bit from changing height during operations. To adjust this a separate hex key is needed to adjust to screw. The Mast R Lift has a positive lock utilizing the same height adjustment crank - one tool. After adjusting bit height, slip the crank in the lock, turn, bit does not move.

+1 Mast R Lift

The PRL carriage is milled from a solid piece of aluminum with no way to add stresses on the steel post slides. To fit different sized router motors you will need to purchase different pads to secure into the carriage. If you do not change your router out, this point is moot as you choose the pads at the time of purchase - different pads cost more. Using set screws, you tighten the pads around the motor. I have read where some say this is a detriment to the design but I feel otherwise - the distance between the bushings in the carriage does not change, so no binding on the posts. And the carriage is not split like on the Mast R lift.

However, the way the carriage on the Mast R Lift clamps on the motor can cause it to bind on the posts. The carriage itself is the clamp. The more you tighten the carriage around the motor, the more you can cause the carriage bushings to squeeze together. I experienced this when installing my Ridgid motor. If I tightened slightly more than what was needed to keep the motor from falling out, it became difficult to fully lower the router. I fixed this by placing masking tape on two of the carriage pads that hold the motor. Please keep in mind that I have never heard of this problem before I experienced it so it may have had to do with my router. It is however inherent to the design.

The one thing that shines about the Mas R Lift design is that there is no need to purchase different pads for different motor sizes. Just follow the chart included in the instructions and adjust the placement for the pads to suit the brand of router you have. This was my reason for purchasing it - the PRL would accommodate the Ridgid motor.

+1 PRL - it is a heavier duty design.

The perfect lift, IMHO, would be a mix between the PRL carriage, with the raising/locking ability of the Mast R Lift. But I will tell you if I had to buy now - with I would probably lean towards the PRL simply for its heftiness. Please be aware though that I am absolutely happy with the Mast R Lift. But come to think of it, I might get sick of using the lift rod/thumb wheel/set screw lock of the PRL. Good thing I am already covered in this department.

You can take away that +1 for the master lift as far as the brake goes as it's not a necessary adjustment that you need to do every time you change the height of the bit. You do an initial setting when you first set it up and thats it no more adjustment need on the brake for the prl-v2.

It's very easy to use. Just take the quick lift tool and raise the bit above the table to change. Once changed lower the bit to where you need it and then use the thumb wheel to make the fine adjustments. Once you have it where you need it your done. No need to ever touch the allen screw for the brake!

Ron Humphrey
12-20-2013, 10:41 PM
Are the two identical except for the magnetic insert holders? Are non-magnetic an issue?

Ron Humphrey
12-20-2013, 10:51 PM
Thanks for all of the input. It is refreshing to hear it would be difficult to make a seriously bad decision. With the 3 1/4 hp and 5 speeds of the 7518, I don't think I need to worry about compatibility issues with other routers. The 7518 should handle most anything I'll ask of it. The magnetic inserts of the Incra version may be helpful. Thanks again.

Stew Hagerty
12-21-2013, 1:48 PM
I have the Incra version because of the magnetic inserts, and because I have the whole Incra LS Super system with Table. I also opted for the Sidewinder, which is a really great addition. I am completely, totally happy with my system. The lift works very smoothly, and very precisely. Not to mention, the magnetic insert rings make things so easy and, now that they have added the new "CleanSweep" rings, excellent for dust extraction.

Ron Humphrey
12-21-2013, 7:44 PM
Here are the differences between the Woodpeckers and the Incra PRL-V2 according to the Incra tech:

Subject: INCRA PRL-V2 Lift

Is the INCRA PRL-V2 Lift identical to the Woodpeckers PRL-V2 except for your magna lock inserts, or are there other differences? Ron Humphrey

Hi, Ron -

Below the top plate, the two units are identical. In the top plate, the ring system is the most obvious difference, but the INCRA version uses a cam screw in the corner of the plate to control the fit within the router table instead of the Woodpeckers bullet adjusters onto edges of the plate. Also, there's a difference in the layout of the 10 threaded holes around the perimeter of the plate that accept leveling screws - the INCRA version has 10 holes to match the locations of the heavy leveling bolts embedded in INCRA router tables.

Best regards,

Mark Mueller
Field Operations Manager

Ralph Okonieski
12-21-2013, 8:19 PM
I have the same same combination you are considering (P&L & PC) and love it. I have no experience with the Mast-r-lift, but it has a fine reputation.

I do not mind cranking the lift, but I only woodwork for a hobby.

Rich Riddle
12-21-2013, 9:36 PM
I too went with the Incra version and love it. It's matched up with the Porter Cable 7518, just like you.

Alan Lightstone
12-22-2013, 2:46 AM
I had/have the PRL-V2 for a few years and recently removed it from my router table for the Incra Master-Lift II.

The gross height adjustment of the PRL I thought was kinda kludgy, but the biggest issue was the friction of the thumbwheel to make adjustments. I couldn't stand that. Plus you needed an Allen wrench to hang around to lock it down. I didn't have a Sidewinder, which would likely have made me like it more. The bullet catches on the side of the lift for mounting are a far superior method on the PRL than there is on the Master Lift II. But once I finally got it mounted securely in the hole, I don't need to deal with that again, so a one time annoyance on the Master Lift II.

I'm very happy with the Master-Lift II. I love the crank method of adjusting the height. Far easier on the thumbs.

Both are very well made.