PDA

View Full Version : 6" vs 8" dato blade on prefinished maple ply

andy photenas
12-20-2013, 9:04 AM
So im about to bite the bullet and buy a new dato blade. I build a lot of maple prefinished ply body's for kitchens and hutches.
My question is this, does a smaller blade have less blowout because of the angle the blade leaves the plywood?
It seems the depth of the dato cuts also affects it and so im wondering what is the proper depth for datos in a 3/4" ply cab? (I feel that when cutting shallow cuts its the worst).
I need to add in that i use a 3/4 cross cutting dato sled with this so 6" blades are limited to a shallow cut.

So 6" or 8" to help this problem?

Jeff Duncan
12-20-2013, 10:07 AM
A good quality dado will cut cross grain in veneers just fine. I've been using Forrest dado's but they're pretty expensive. Worth it for me as I use them a LOT. I don't know if you'll see much difference in cut between the 2 sizes, in general larger circumference blades cutter cut cleaner than smaller. The biggest reason for going larger IMO is for depth of cut, a 6" dado doesn't leave you a whole lot of that. Add the thickness of a sled and your even more limited. Just depends on the work you do, you may never need more than a 6", but if that odd job comes up where you do…..well:rolleyes:

good luck,
JeffD

Peter Quinn
12-20-2013, 10:20 AM
I use a 6" Forrest at home, it works fine, I bought it to save a few bucks versus an 8" when I was getting going. Next dado will be an 8" for greater depth capacity. The 6" does fine for plywood dados, not typically too deep. But the 8" will have a higher tip speed, thus a faster theoretical feed rate, and a gentler exit angle than the smaller blade at given height, so the bigger blade should chip less. My 6" Forrest doesn't chip at all in PF maple ply, but I'd still go bigger next time.

andy photenas
12-20-2013, 10:23 AM
Thanks guys! I cant tell ya how good it is to have others to speak this odd language of angles and tips speeds with!
Drool.............. time to buy that 8" forrest i have wanted for like 10 years!

Jeff Duncan
12-20-2013, 4:09 PM
Oops, I just realized I mistyped……I'm actually using the Freud Super Dado sets, not the Forrest! Though it's time for me to send one of mine out for work! My sets have been, shall we say….abused, with more than half the teeth chipped:( The crazy thing is they still cut really cleanly:confused: I'm going to send it to Forrest and see if they'll fix it up for me. I'm assuming it will be slightly cheaper to have them sharpen and re-tip where needed than to buy a new set:o

Anyway good luck, I'm sure if you get either set you'll be more than happy with it!
JeffD

Mel Fulks
12-20-2013, 4:35 PM
Dado sets are one one the most mis handled things in a shop. I like to keep them in open top boxes with garden hose hoop handles. Half inch ply wood dividers between each piece. Box is open at bottom of ends so that they cant fill with dust. When there is more than one set I use a little paint to color code boxes and all saws. With that set up there is absolutely no excuse for anyone opening a cardboard box and proceeding to put pieces on STEEL saw tables . Can't tell you how many times I've seen sets mingled and sent out for sharpening . Then a lot of carbide wasted evening them out.

Earl McLain
12-20-2013, 9:18 PM
I have both 6" and 8" and prefer the 8". Before final decision, check your saw's specs and make sure you can run an 8" stack with no interference. My old Ryobi BT3000 was limited to 6" dado due to clearance on the locker bracket.
earl

Ethan Melad
12-21-2013, 9:19 AM
I've also got the Freud 8" Super Dado and it's worked really well for me. I was considering the Forrest when I bought mine, but decided to spend a little less and go with the Freud - can't say I've regretted it.

andy photenas
12-21-2013, 9:54 AM
i hope i chose right went with the big gun $300 bucks but i have not seen one complaint about this blade other then the price tag so i think ill be :)