PDA

View Full Version : Old School

Mike Cruz
12-19-2013, 11:09 PM
So, first there were Smoke Signals, Telegrams, and the Pony Express. Then we got the telephone! Then answering machines. Then voice mail. Then instant messaging and Skype (video chatting). Now back to the equivalent of instant telegrams. I see a trend of "reverting".

I'm planning on training my horses to run long distances and I'm getting tarps for my wood stove. I'm a RE-trend setter. Hey, the stock market isn't doing diddly. I'm looking for the next best re-new thing!

Erik Loza
12-19-2013, 11:55 PM
Pigeons...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cher_Ami

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Stephen Cherry
12-20-2013, 12:01 AM
Does this mean your selling me that pickup truck?

Dave Richards
12-20-2013, 5:37 AM
My 9-year old son is the only kid in his class who knows what a dial telephone is and knows how to use it. Maybe you could do that, too.

Mike Cruz
12-20-2013, 7:21 AM
Erik, what a great story! Any yes, I forgot about carrier pigeons...

Nope, Steve, we're still hanging onto them...for now, at least. ;)

Dave, yeah, rotary phones (I think that's what you're talking about)... I actually won concert tickets as the "9th caller" on one of those back in '83. Hehe. Couldn't believe I actually got through, let alone won!

Joe Tilson
12-20-2013, 8:50 AM
Our grandson asked his mother what it was to dial a number. He heard this at school from an older teacher who trying to explain a rotary phone dial. Our daughter had to call her mother to explain the answer. We still remember out houses as well. Oh what a relief it was!!!

Bill Edwards(2)
12-20-2013, 9:35 AM
Don't rotary phones need switching stations. Sounds pretty high tech.

I'm thinking crank phones, central operators (jobs) etc.

mike holden
12-20-2013, 9:40 AM
I remember visiting the grandparents and hearing the phone ring, went to answer - and grandma said: no honey, that is not our ring. Party lines with a different ring for each member of the party line! A different ring, not tone! Briiinnnnng Bring vs Bring Bring etc.
Mike

Jerome Stanek
12-20-2013, 10:44 AM
Ours was one long ring neighbors was 2 short rings. Also there was 8 families on it.

Ed Aumiller
12-20-2013, 7:14 PM
Ours was one long ring neighbors was 2 short rings. Also there was 8 families on it.

Ours was one long and one short... (I think)...

Found out that if you held a 1mfd cap across line, you could pick it up without a click on the line and listen to neighbors without them knowing it !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rick Potter
12-20-2013, 7:21 PM
Good grief!

I must be getting on in years. I currently have a pink rotary phone operational in my patio room, and have just rebuilt the outhouse on my shack in the high desert. My wife and I also had a party line in our early married years. I also remember the lady who used to listen to everyone's calls on that party line.

Rick Potter