PDA

View Full Version : Cherry bed and mirror

Hans Braul
12-19-2013, 9:12 PM
Earlier this year, I made this blanket box/dresser
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?198413-Blanket-Box-Dresser&highlight=
to go in our spare bedroom with this bed:
I wanted to add a mirror that would fit with the bed and dresser, mimicking the curves and general feel. Here's what I came up with:
Some progress pics:
This was very much an exercise in intuition. At times I was convinced I was creating a monstrosity, but in the end it worked to my eye. I am interested to hear your feedback and whether it works for you (be honest!!!).

Hans

Sean Hughto
12-19-2013, 10:31 PM
Great stuff, Hans! I really like both and how they complement each other. Beautiful wood beautifully shaped, what's not to love? Also, very original. I tend to only be satisfied when I make something that I'd never see in a furniture store because they couldn't afford the wood, wouldn't have picked it or matched it to the design, or couldn't have sculpted the wood, etc. The dresser is great too - love the sapwood streak in the top.

Yonak Hawkins
12-19-2013, 10:40 PM
Hans, it's a great look, all around. I like the big, bold components. The combination of curved angles of the mirror really makes it .. especially as they complement the bed and the dresser (are those curved panels on the dresser sides ?). ..A really wonderfully matched set.

Excellent work ! I really like its boldness and originality. You should win a prize for that mirror.

glenn bradley
12-20-2013, 1:00 AM
Luvin' it. very nice design and execution. Love the changing planes and lines.

Charles Coolidge
12-20-2013, 2:22 AM
WOW that is so nice well played sir. Now buy a Frank Lloyd Wright house because that's where it belongs.

Raymond Fries
12-20-2013, 8:25 PM
Very nice Hans. It is indeed a beautiful set. I love the smooth lines in the design.
BTW - Looks like a wonderful view out the window.

Take Care and Enjoy Life...

Joe A Faulkner
12-20-2013, 10:05 PM
I like to check in on this forum for inspiration from time to time. Tonight did not disappoint me. Well done!!! Thank you for posting this ensemble.

Lee Schierer
12-21-2013, 4:57 PM
Very nice. It's not my style, but it looks really good. I'm sure it presented many challenges making it.

Hans Braul
12-21-2013, 5:10 PM
Hans, it's a great look, all around. I like the big, bold components. The combination of curved angles of the mirror really makes it .. especially as they complement the bed and the dresser (are those curved panels on the dresser sides ?). ..A really wonderfully matched set.

Excellent work ! I really like its boldness and originality. You should win a prize for that mirror.

Yes the panels are curved - created by laminating 1/8 baltic birch with a curved mold, then vacuum veneering.

Thanks all for the kind comments.

Ben Martin
12-21-2013, 6:46 PM
Great job Hans! I like it, different but not over the top is how I would describe it!

Ben

Hans Braul
12-21-2013, 7:43 PM
Very nice. It's not my style, but it looks really good. I'm sure it presented many challenges making it.
Thanks Lee - the only real challenge was to fit the joints so I got a tight fit. A few incremental fine adjustments and a lot of patience, and it was there.

Jim Matthews
12-22-2013, 9:05 AM
The mirror stiles are so fresh, and flashy that the bed has garnered little attention.

Beds are much like chairs, lots of joints and heavy shifting loads.
Making one that is both solid and handsome such as this is admirable.

Kudos

Paul Murphy
01-02-2014, 10:20 AM
Very well done Hans! I like seeing your sketches, I wish I had better design skills and seeing how others proceed helps me. All your pieces work so well together, I really enjoyed seeing the photos.