PDA

View Full Version : Table Saw blade

Steve Gojevic
12-19-2013, 1:43 PM
I started a thread a few weeks ago on the best Melamine blade for a table saw because I was going to use PB melamine for the kitchen cabinets I am making. I received a bunch of good replies and had selected the Freud LU80R010 blade ($90 at Tool Barn).

It turns out I got a good deal on prefinished maple plywood in 3/4 and 1/2 thicknesses so I am using that instead of the melamine. Is the Freud LU80R010 still a good blade for that? Is there a less-expensive blade that would be adequate?

Thanks
Steve

Lee Schierer
12-19-2013, 2:11 PM
Frued labels the blade as a plywood and Melamine blade and their ratings are usually pretty good. You'll like how it cuts. Be sure to raise the blade high enough above the work so the bottoms of the gullets show. If you see any chipping of the veneer near the cut line, cover the cut line with blue painters tape before making the cut and then pull it off toward the cut edges to remove it. Make sure you use a zero clearance insert in your table saw.

Mark Wooden
12-19-2013, 7:20 PM
It turns out I got a good deal on prefinished maple plywood in 3/4 and 1/2 thicknesses so I am using that instead of the melamine. Is the Freud LU80R010 still a good blade for that? Is there a less-expensive blade that would be adequate?

Buy the best blade you can, cry once and don't look back. The advantages of a good blade far outweigh the few dollars saved.

scott spencer
12-20-2013, 5:22 AM
The LU80 is an excellent choice for ply IMO.