PDA

View Full Version : New Shop, part the 4

John Bailey
06-09-2005, 4:55 PM
Here we are again after a lengthy break in the action. The last time I posted any info on my new shop we were getting the trusses up. The first pictures on the this thread are of the finished framing, before I started on the roof. That's me sitting, thinking what I'd gotten myself into, and how in the world I'm going to get the roof on.

The next pictures are of me working on finishing up the roof. I should tell you that this was one of the hardest things I've ever done. The roof had a relatively steep pitch and I didn't have a lot of help. We finally got her up, but like everything else, it took two to three times as long as I had planned.

I've a few more pictures I'll add in a reply.

John

John Bailey
06-09-2005, 5:09 PM
Here are pictures of finishing off the roof. The first picture shows a bit of the siding and what it will look like when finished. I got a little frustrated with the roof and took a day off to work on the siding for a break. By the way, that's not a picture of me trying to shoot myself in frustration. I'm just looking in amazement as to why I can't get the darn drill to go straight.

That will be the last report for the summer. Tuesday I'm off to Greece for a couple of months. Wish I'd gotten further, but the rest will have to wait for the middle of August.

Hope you all have a great summer. I'll be checking in a few times when I can find a cyber-cafe.

As always, any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

John

Bruce Page
06-09-2005, 6:40 PM
The shop’s looking great John, the angled siding is going to be cool. Please ‘splain to me why I can see through your roof, is one entire half going to be a giant skylight?
It sure is green up there!

Chris Padilla
06-09-2005, 7:21 PM
Very nice, John. I love Greece...we spent 8 days on Mykonos and it was a slice of heaven. I kept looking around, "Yeah, we could buy a chunk of land, put up a house, a huge shop...." :D

John Hart
06-09-2005, 7:42 PM
Lookin' Good John!! I can't believe that you're running off to Greece with all the fun you have left to do. :D Oh well...I suppose it'll be waiting for you when you get back. Have a great trip!

John Bailey
06-09-2005, 7:48 PM
Bruce,

The North facing roof is tinted plastic. Artists often look for lofts with North facing sky-lights for the terrific lighting. While I'm not an artist, I do enjoy natural light. Even on the North facing roof in NM you would probably have a problem with heat, but in Northern Michigan I don't think it will be a problem. We will be putting a layer of plastic on the inside to create a dead air barrier. This will help, somewhat, in the winter for insulation, and collect any condensation also. A few years from now I'll let you know how it works.

As far as the siding, that is my wife's idea. I like board and batten, but the diagonal boards will match our house. A picture of the house is attached.

Chris,

We'll be spending a month on Corfu. Then I'm going to the University of Ioannina to take a 30 day Greek immersion course. If all goes well, I'll come back tan, playing the bouzouki and breaking plates at weddings.

John

Bruce Page
06-09-2005, 8:15 PM
Bruce,

The North facing roof is tinted plastic. Artists often look for lofts with North facing sky-lights for the terrific lighting. While I'm not an artist, I do enjoy natural light. Even on the North facing roof in NM you would probably have a problem with heat, but in Northern Michigan I don't think it will be a problem. We will be putting a layer of plastic on the inside to create a dead air barrier. This will help, somewhat, in the winter for insulation, and collect any condensation also. A few years from now I'll let you know how it works.

As far as the siding, that is my wife's idea. I like board and batten, but the diagonal boards will match our house. A picture of the house is attached.

John, thanks for the explanation, the natural light you will have should be incredible. You have a beautiful home!

Steve Stube
06-09-2005, 8:25 PM
John, Looking good. I would be interested in a brand name, supplier and material (polycarbonate??) for the tinted plastic roof sheeting. I just might have a use for it assuming I can afford it. Do you have any numbers on age/life expectancy and snow load rating for this material? Thanks, enjoy your travel.

lou sansone
06-09-2005, 9:00 PM
shop is looking good.. dont fall off the roof!:)

lou

John Bailey
06-09-2005, 9:40 PM
Steve,

It is some type of polycarbonate. It comes in 2'x8' sheets for app. $18, or 2'x12' for $23 at Home Depot. I have no idea what the life or snow rating is. I wouldn't use it on a large flat surface. I felt my new shop had enough pitch so the snow would run off pretty easily. It's flimsy and you can't walk on it. I had to put one panel at a time going through the trusses to get it on. It was a real hassel and a lot of work on top of a 12' step ladder.

John

Corey Hallagan
06-09-2005, 9:58 PM
John, that is a going to be a sweet looking building when you are done. You are doing a wonderful job. I really like the looks of the siding. Have a great time in Greece, you will have lots of time to think about just how you want to proceed, right down to the placement of the equipment! I hope you put those photos in a collauge and hang it in the new shop.
Corey

Frank Pellow
06-09-2005, 10:25 PM
John, the building is going to look great. I am sure that you will appreciate all that natural light and I hope that you don't have any condensation (or whatever) problems.

Enjoy your time in Greece!

John Bailey
06-10-2005, 5:54 AM
John, that is a going to be a sweet looking building when you are done. You are doing a wonderful job. I really like the looks of the siding. Have a great time in Greece, you will have lots of time to think about just how you want to proceed, right down to the placement of the equipment! I hope you put those photos in a collauge and hang it in the new shop.
Corey

Corey,

If you check my previous post you'll see I've included a diagram of equipment placement. Won't have much time in Greece to think of building. To much "work" and going to school.

John

John Bailey
06-10-2005, 6:03 AM
John, the building is going to look great. I am sure that you will appreciate all that natural light and I hope that you don't have any condensation (or whatever) problems.

Enjoy your time in Greece!

Frank,

The South roof is a normal metal roof and will be insulated. It has a vapor barrier like any roof. The North side will not have the normal insulation, and so I expect to have condensation. To prevent the condensation from dripping into the shop we'll put a layer of clear plastic (it's like industrial celophane - I know people who have made kayaks out of it) below the roof to create a dead air barrier. That will give us protection from the drips and give us some, not much, insulation. We have a similar arrangement in our house on the South facing roof. In the case of the house, we have a section of the downstairs ceiling cut away so we get natural light throughthe roof all the way to the downstairs. The clear plastic is hard to see, and yet catches any condensation and creates a dead air barrier to give a little R-value.

John