PDA

View Full Version : Walnut/elm lidded bowl

Roger Chandler
12-19-2013, 10:57 AM

This is a piece that was design on the fly. I had a piece of elm from another project that I wanted to get out of the way and this walnut blank that had been in my shop for 3 years. It was a shallow sort of blank, so I proceeded to make a shallow bowl.

The color of the elm looked like a good contrast with the walnut, and as I got into this one, I decided on a more enclosed rim, and undercut to highlight the color differences............just a spur of the moment design choice.

This one is 7 3/8" wide and 4" to the top of the knob.

I ordered a new replacement for the bulb that came with my new photo booth setup.....I turned it on and it worked.......turned it off and completed the setup and it would not light up anymore! :eek: These bulbs are $15 apiece, and my goodness........they should last more than 10 seconds!!! :mad::mad: Because of this, I had to play with adjusting the lighting by software! :(

Raymond Fries
12-19-2013, 11:13 AM
I like it. Nice clean lines and a pleasing shape.

Sorry about the bulb. Maybe the seller will exchange it?

Take Care and Enjoy Life...

Leo Van Der Loo
12-19-2013, 2:23 PM
Roger I do like that piece, good looking and a nice finish, well done :)

Roger Chandler
12-19-2013, 3:29 PM
I like it. Nice clean lines and a pleasing shape.

Sorry about the bulb. Maybe the seller will exchange it?

Take Care and Enjoy Life...

Thanks Ray.........your comment is appreciated!

Jay Rasmussen
12-19-2013, 5:12 PM
Nice Roger! I think I see one of my next projects. Thanks for the inspiration. Very pleasing color contrast also.

Doug Herzberg
12-19-2013, 7:21 PM
Roger, I like it too. The shape is different and, as others have said, pleasing to the eye. I think your walls are getting thinner, too, which I like. Altogether a nice piece. With your other recent posting, it seems like you've "turned" in a new direction. Or maybe I just haven't been paying attention.

Roger Chandler
12-19-2013, 8:54 PM
Roger, I like it too. The shape is different and, as others have said, pleasing to the eye. I think your walls are getting thinner, too, which I like. Altogether a nice piece. With your other recent posting, it seems like you've "turned" in a new direction. Or maybe I just haven't been paying attention.

Which direction might that be, Doug? Not sure I follow. Thanks for the compliment, [I think?]

Thomas Canfield
12-19-2013, 9:12 PM
I like the way that the lid sitting on the bowl and the little raise section near the knob all work and the lip is not sight factor. Good looking for all pieces and finish.

David C. Roseman
12-19-2013, 9:30 PM
Very elegant, Roger.

David

Doug Herzberg
12-19-2013, 9:38 PM
Which direction might that be, Doug? Not sure I follow. Thanks for the compliment, [I think?]

Definitely a compliment. The other one I saw was a hollow form, which I hadn't seen you do before. This one really caught my eye. The new direction I thought I saw was thinner sidewalls, not necessarily good or bad, but I like it.

Roger Chandler
12-19-2013, 10:02 PM
Definitely a compliment. The other one I saw was a hollow form, which I hadn't seen you do before. This one really caught my eye. The new direction I thought I saw was thinner sidewalls, not necessarily good or bad, but I like it.

Thanks much Doug...........lets just call it adding a little more refinement to some of my pieces! A lot of what I have done, and what most people remember was from that Stonewall Jackson Prayer tree. That wood is some of the most contankerous, and difficult wood you can imagine having to work with, but it was historical nonetheless. That 350 year old white oak, with all its issues of rot, decay, twisted grain, cracking and such did not lend itself to more refined pieces.........so some of what people remember from me has more rustic features, you might say!

In my humble opinion, I have had these skills for some time, but just now am I putting together the more refined finishes and such that make pieces present much better to the public. That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :D;)

Thom Sturgill
12-20-2013, 7:20 AM
Whatever your story, Roger, lately your pieces do show more finesse. Unlidded, I do not particularly like the rim on this one. WITH the lid it presents great. Love the contrast. Hope you have better luck with the lights.

Roger Chandler
12-20-2013, 10:04 AM
Whatever your story, Roger, lately your pieces do show more finesse. Unlidded, I do not particularly like the rim on this one. WITH the lid it presents great. Love the contrast. Hope you have better luck with the lights.

Going for something a bit different with the rim design, Thom. Gotta mix it up once in a while! ;) I ordered another bulb yesterday afternoon....Amazon.com was good to credit my account for the defective one, so it just means a couple more days till the new one arrives.......maybe this one will be fine for the long haul...........hope so!