PDA

View Full Version : Redsail X700 went POP

John Thomson
12-19-2013, 9:51 AM
Hi,

I was cutting this morning using my 2 year old Redsail X700 with no problems.........after lunch I switched it back on and there was a loud POP.

Sounded like a fuse blowing around the control panel.

Now I have a dead lcd screen and no response from any buttons........power is getting to the psu, power sewitch and fans.

Anyone any ideas? Control panel? Or am I kidding myself that a repair is possible.

Many thanks

John

Chris Fulton
12-19-2013, 10:33 AM
John,

A while back I thought I found a vendor in Kentucky who was selling Redsail laser engravers. I'm not sure if I can find them again, but I'll do some searching and see if I kept any of the contact info. They may be your best bet if you end up needing a new power supply or something else. Let me see what I can find.

Joe Hillmann
12-19-2013, 11:13 AM
Since it made a popping noise I would guess it was a capacitor that popped. If you can find which one it was there is a good chance it can be replaced fairly easy by anyone who does any type of electronics repair.

If you do an image search for popped capacitor you can get an idea of what you are looking for to find the bad one. If/Once you find it it is just a matter of replacing it with one of equal specifications.

John Thomson
12-19-2013, 11:32 AM
Thanks Joe.......will have a look.

It was loud enough to make me jump!
Something certainly blew.

John

Jerome Stanek
12-19-2013, 11:42 AM
I have had capacitors blow before some sound like a gun going off and other just enough to scare you. I have replaced them in computers monitors power supplies and other equipment.

Travis Wizniuk
12-19-2013, 1:25 PM
Yup Joe has it right.. I'll bet you will find the cap pretty easily.. I found that the Chinese caps seem to fail in this way, you might even find bits of paper and foil spread around where it exploded. It might be a good idea to use a vac around the area of the popped cap to suck up the debris. The bits of foil can cause a short on other components once the cap is fixed.

They are pretty easy to replace if you have any electronics knowledge and the equipment. Don't try to do it yourself if you don't have a good soldering iron.

Kev Williams
12-19-2013, 2:03 PM
The power supply in my LS900 went pop when it went out, it wasn't a capacitor, not sure exactly what it was- voltage regulator transistor?- but was about 3/4" square, 1/8" thick, and it kind of exploded. My NH rep got a replacement and we put it in, to no avail, as something else caused IT to pop.. (ended up getting a rebuilt unit)

Anyway, look for chips with pieces missing too!

Dave Sheldrake
12-19-2013, 4:09 PM
If it is the LCD unit John don't worry too much, they are quite cheap to replace and readily available (about $40). If it's the system PSU (some of the older redsails have 3!) they are about 40 bucks depending which one, it's unlikely to be the tube PSU as no power should be triggering unless the laser is being fired. Could be the main card but that's also not very likely.

Have a look at the dead stop as well, Chinese ones don't tend to be very good quality and a short in there would make quite a bang.

cheers

Dave

John Thomson
12-20-2013, 4:09 AM
Would the LCD unit "pop" if it blew?

John

Dave Sheldrake
12-20-2013, 6:32 AM
Hi John,

A very short arc would sound like a pop if it blew off a wire or one of the chips in the display board went, it's also in an enclosed space that will work like a sounding chamber so would seem louder than it effectively was. I'd suggest it's either the LCD unit (PAD04 usually) or the machines dead stop switch based on where the noise is coming from (there isn't anything else there to make any sound)

If you are happy dealing with electrical items lift the pad out and see if there are any signs of arcing or damage. The good news is they are cheap, readily available and easy to fit (I'm no electrician and I managed it)

cheers

Dave

John Thomson
12-20-2013, 7:28 AM
lifted the pad out.............nothing visible, ordered a replacement anyway.
Can see no damaged capacitors or any other damage on the controller board.

John

AL Ursich
12-20-2013, 12:06 PM
You could post some pictures close up and clear and some of us Tech's can look it over....

Caps are the most suspect but you did not see any... But you need to know what to look for.... A Bulge or small black burn mark is sometimes hard to see...

Many years ago some guys left a company taking a formula for a new Capacitor Electrolite. They went to another and they made millions of caps... The problem.... The new formula was flawed... Over time it let Hydrogen Gas build up inside the cap, especially Can Type Electrolytic Caps... This caused a POP as the sealed can BLEW it's top.... Search "Bad Caps" for the site and all the details... When I worked at Sony as a Service Tech I had all the after hours overtime I wanted replacing bad caps in NEW Computer Monitors.... Even Sony got Skunked... The bad caps are still floating around many years later....

Next is a Full Wave Rectifier... Usually a 4 leg unit that takes in 2 legs of AC Voltage and converts it to 2 legs of DC. Over time they fail due to heat.

Good Luck,

AL

John Thomson
12-21-2013, 5:46 AM
Thanks for the input Al.

Photos of the keypad and control card.

Thanks

John

Deane Donaghy
12-21-2013, 9:36 AM
Have you checked the fuse inside the power supply lead ?
I have a Redsail X700 and my machine died one day, and after some remedies suggested by Redsail did nothing
I happened to look at the lead and discovered it had a very small fuse inside, but seeing I exchanged it already with a normal
PC power cable which fixed the problem anyhow.
Have a look, you might be lucky.

AL Ursich
12-21-2013, 1:56 PM
Internal wire fuse... good possibility.... LOTS of small caps... I would look at them very close and check the diodes.

AL

John Thomson
12-22-2013, 6:01 AM
Power lead is fine.......when I switch on the fans run,on/off switch lights, pus power light is on etc......only the LCD does not light.

I shall look closer and see if there is a fuse on the board.

John

Dave Sheldrake
12-22-2013, 8:17 AM
Hi John,

Does it have one of the red dot pointers? if so is that still working? just recalled a similar fault somebody else had recently

cheers

Dave

John Thomson
12-22-2013, 12:08 PM
No it has no red dot.

John

Dave Sheldrake
12-22-2013, 1:40 PM
Ahh just wondered as the 5v rail in the PSU that controls the red dot is also used for the LCD so if the rail had failed the first sign is also the red dot going out. Achedemic though as you dont have a red dot.

cheers

Dave

John Thomson
12-30-2013, 7:05 AM
I received a new control panel this morning.............with it fitted it is still dead.........control board next?

John

Dave Sheldrake
12-30-2013, 8:24 AM
Maybe not just yet John,

Do you have facilities to test the power output from the board supply PSU ? (usually 5v,12v,24v,36v or a combination of the above)

cheers

Dave

John Thomson
12-30-2013, 4:03 PM
I do have a multimeter.......

John

Dave Sheldrake
12-30-2013, 4:22 PM
Good enough, check the outputs to see if the smaller PSU (or one of them) has gone bang.

NOT the HV Tube PSU whatever you do.

cheers

Dave

John Thomson
01-17-2014, 11:51 AM
Sorry for my slow update.......just back from holiday.

been looking at this again.

The laser psu light is on so it appears to have power, the small psu drives the cabinet fans which are working so appears to have power.
The kill switch operates and shuts everything off when pressed.
The x and y motor drivers do not have their power lights on and of course the key pad is dead....... ( and a new key pad made no difference)

Am I correct in thinking the Leetro MPC6515 controller board appears to be the faulty item? Can this be tested or checked with the multimeter?

Many thanks......

John

John Thomson
01-28-2014, 9:48 AM
Hi,

new controller board fitted and everything is working perfectly again.

Many thanks for everyone's input.

john