PDA

View Full Version : Given the green light

Eric D Matson
12-19-2013, 8:41 AM
So I was going to order a saw stop at the end of this year, so I could get some end tables and other furniture finished. With everyone's talk about the euro saws, I have started doing some research and with Felder's holiday pricing, I am really interested in a Hammer k3 slider. So last night I told the dearest wife that I wanted to talk about getting a new table saw. The first words out of her mouth were "If you want a new table saw order one." It took me off guard. I was half expected to talk about it and then compromise to wait a year. She didn't even want to hear price or anything like that. I just told her it was going to be expensive and she didn't seem bothered by it.

Are there any accessories that are a must have or something I should at least look at when I get ready to order it?

Dave Zellers
12-19-2013, 9:12 AM
Does she have a sister?

Rod Sheridan
12-19-2013, 9:18 AM
Eric, I've owned a B3 Winner for a few years.

I would consider it over the K3 as it will give you a tilting spindle shaper as well.

I have the mid sized slider, which is 49", it will crosscut a sheet of plywood.

You have to factory order options, accessories can be added at any time.

I also have the scoring saw, well worth the money for sheet goods. (Option)

I have the dadoe capability (Option)

I would also order the edging shoe, and the hold down clamp for the sliding table. (accessory)

The mobility kit works very well, better than casters. (Accessory)

You can keep your present blades and have them bored out, that's what I did, it's about $20 per blade where I live.

The machine will only accept a 180mm maximum dadoe cutter, I have the 6 inch FS Tools set, Hammer also sell a nice dadoe cutter that looks like a shaper groover.

You'll enjoy the Hammer...............Regards, Rod.

Eric D Matson
12-19-2013, 1:44 PM
Yes she does have a sister. Haha

I think the tilting shaper would be nice, but I have a bunch of cutterheads for my shaper and would hate to replace those. I am still considering it though. The B3 winner with the comfort package is currently on sale also. It doesn't seem to be a bad price especially when you add a couple options to the B3 winner base package.

Rod Sheridan
12-19-2013, 8:02 PM
Hi Eric, why would you have to replace your cutters?

Regards, Rod.

John TenEyck
12-19-2013, 8:20 PM
I just told her it was going to be expensive and she didn't seem bothered by it.

Are there any accessories that are a must have or something I should at least look at when I get ready to order it?

Yes, a really nice X-mas present for your wife would be a very good idea. Spa, vacation, blender (just kidding); whatever she would least expect and truly appreciate.

John

Jim Andrew
12-19-2013, 9:02 PM
Similar story, I called and talked to a nice young fellow named Kyle at Felder in California, and got a quote for a K3 Winner. The accessories are a bit pricy, but with my tightwad attitude, figured I would never order any unless I get them with the saw. Big surprise, they have a better price on shipping than the other thread I ran across, and it is about 100 less if you don't need liftgate service. My downfall was watching the video on the Felder US webpage. Don't watch it if you don't want to catch the fever.

John P Clark
12-19-2013, 9:38 PM
I have had a K3 Winner for four years and have just ordered a 610 Bandsaw - nothing compares with the hammer/ felder line of woodworking tools. Go ahead and order it, you will be glad you did. I have worked with Fergus and Kyle and they are great to deal with.

Eric D Matson
12-19-2013, 10:18 PM
Hi Rod,

All of my cutters are 1/2 and 3/4" spindle cutters. Its my understanding the spindle on the B3 is 1.25". If I can still use my cutters please advise. I know you know a lot more than me. I find it kind of hard to find a lot of information (specs) out on their website.

Thanks

Eric

Eric D Matson
12-19-2013, 10:21 PM
The funny thing is she just got her blender early. Haha.

Mel Fulks
12-19-2013, 10:28 PM
I don't see tilt as an always good feature ,I like changeable spindles and I'm trying to remember if any are made that way.
Seems to me they have more vibration with heavy tooling. And on the couple I've used the degree scale could not be trusted at 90 degrees. Had to check with square at each use.

Craig Behnke
12-20-2013, 9:50 AM
The first words out of her mouth were "If you want a new table saw order one."

I would humbly suggest a slider, of European build. The usual suspects, Mini Max, Felder, Hammer...if they fit the budget. They are all exceptional. There are differences...price, what comes standard vs add-on feature, etc. Best to talk with the reps of each co. and get the skinny from them directly.

Rod Sheridan
12-20-2013, 11:17 AM
Hi Eric, yes you'll need to replace your cutters as the hammer machine has a solid 1" spindle with sleeves for 30mm and 1 1/4".

If you're starting from new, go with 30mm as most of the tooling in the world is metric, I also find that companies such as Felder sell the 30mm tooling for less money than the imperial tooling.

I have both 30mm and 1 1/4" capability on mine, I think it's around $150 for the sleeve/spacer/cap if you decide to have 2 sizes.

I mostly use a Euroblock cutter with steel knives as I make solid wood objects. It's an extremely cost effective approach, the knives are less expensive than router bits and do a far better job.

If you have the 30mm spindle you can mount your dado set on the shaper and use it as a groover..............Rod.

Mike Heidrick
12-20-2013, 12:47 PM
Rod, What are some cutters that they make in 30mm that they don't make in 1 1/4? I have never once found the 1 1/4 size to be an issue.

30mm is much harder to resale and source local than 1 1/4" for me.

Is the spindle on this saw not replaceable?? Is that the push to 30mm?

fred woltersdorf
12-20-2013, 1:22 PM
Yes she does have a sister. Haha

I think the tilting shaper would be nice, but I have a bunch of cutterheads for my shaper and would hate to replace those. I am still considering it though. The B3 winner with the comfort package is currently on sale also. It doesn't seem to be a bad price especially when you add a couple options to the B3 winner base package.

Does she have another sister?

Rod Sheridan
12-20-2013, 2:12 PM
Hi Mike, it's not that the stuff isn't available in 1 1/4", it's that often you can buy Euro manufactured cutters in metric sizes for good prices.

The Hammer machine comes with a 1" solid spindle, and I bought the 30mm kit as well.

Most of the world is metric, there are a lot of excellent tool makers who predominantly work in the metric system, that trend is only going to increase.

In addition the 30mm spindle sleeve kit will allow him to use his saw blades in the shaper...........Regards, Rod.

Eric D Matson
12-20-2013, 2:38 PM
Thanks Rod. I do like the idea of being able to use saw blades on the shaper. I might really have to consider that option some more. I am going to check out some cutterheads. Is there any certain company you tend to keep going back to for cutters?

Rod Sheridan
12-20-2013, 3:21 PM
Hi Eric, I would suggest you start with a 40mm Euroblock head in steel with chip limitation.

If you buy a Hammer machine have them supply you with one they sell at a good price.

Knives are available from many US suppliers for this tool, perhaps even locally. (Where I live there are many sources of knives locally), or you can mail order them.

Felder resell some nice tooling, often at Christmas they run specials, it's a good time to pick up a rebate head or groover.

Once you have a rebate head (125mm X 50mm) is great for rebating or pattern copying if you buy a guide bushing and bearing for it.

An adjustable groover is nice, or use your dado set with a 30mm spindle.

Add the Ero block 40mm head and you can make almost any profile you can imagine.

That's it a rebate head, a 40mm Euro block and grooving capability will get you going and allow you to perform almost all operations in solid wood (Euroblock) and solid and man made materials with the carbide rebate head and groovers.

The only item missing is raised panel doors, the Euroblock does one style, if you want a different one you need to buy a raised panel cutter head.

Regards, Rod.

P.S. You asked what I own and I didn't answer that, Freud, Omas, Felder and a 40mm Euro Block from General Machinery.

Eric D Matson
12-21-2013, 12:09 AM
Thanks Rod. You are a bundle of information. I appreciate that. I have looked at several cutters. Looks like that is the way to go.