PDA

View Full Version : Book: Hybrid Woodworking. Opinions?

Matt Stiegler
12-18-2013, 9:16 PM
New book, Hybrid Woodworking, by the wood whisperer guy. (Listing from LV here (http://www.leevalley.com/US/gifts/page.aspx?p=71382&cat=54&ap=), Amazon here (http://www.amazon.com/Hybrid-Woodworking-Blending-Quality-Furniture/dp/1440329605/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387419059&sr=8-1&keywords=hybrid+woodworking)).

Anyone read it yet? Like it?

Frederick Skelly
12-18-2013, 9:32 PM
Havent read it yet. But I noticed a small oddity: the Amazon link shows 52 reviews, all rated "5". That seems odd - every single review is a 5? That doesnt happen often - perhaps the author's fan club doing the reviews ;)

It looks good and Im going to order it. Thanks for flagging it to us.
Fred

Paul Dovy
12-19-2013, 10:56 AM
I pulled the trigger and just got my copy in the mail yesterday. I think whether or not it's useful depends on your skill level and what tools you already use. It seems to me to be targeted at woodworkers who may not be very hand tool savvy - it gives a lot of advice and instruction on which hand tools are helpful to augment your power tool use for better / faster / safer results.

For me that's great, I'm a fairly new woodworker and I know next to nothing about hand tools so I think it'll be pretty helpful. If you're already using a lot of hand tools in your work, it might not have that much in it that will be new to you.

Matt Stiegler
12-19-2013, 11:12 AM
But I noticed a small oddity: the Amazon link shows 52 reviews, all rated "5". That seems odd - every single review is a 5? That doesnt happen often - perhaps the author's fan club doing the reviews ;)

Fishy. Maybe he has a big family.

I pulled the trigger and just got my copy in the mail yesterday. I think whether or not it's useful depends on your skill level and what tools you already use. It seems to me to be targeted at woodworkers who may not be very hand tool savvy - it gives a lot of advice and instruction on which hand tools are helpful to augment your power tool use for better / faster / safer results.

For me that's great, I'm a fairly new woodworker and I know next to nothing about hand tools so I think it'll be pretty helpful. If you're already using a lot of hand tools in your work, it might not have that much in it that will be new to you.

That's great information, thanks.

Richard Coers
12-19-2013, 11:16 AM
That's my guess Frederick. He seems to have a big following. Personally, I've never taken to his style. I don't like any part of my woodworking to be entertainment, and what I've watched, he would ham it up too much. I prefer to watch skill and expertise, explained like we are friends. Not explained like a side show. Maybe I need to watch more of his stuff, but since I'm twice his age and been woodworking for nearly 45 years, not much to see.

lowell holmes
12-19-2013, 11:28 AM
I am aware of the book, but I haven't felt the need to get it.

I am not sure what his definition of Hybrid Woodworking is, but I know what my concept is and one that I use.

The old saw about Neander work and machine work can be divisive. I was headed toward hand tool projects, but since my hand skills leave something to be desired and my quest for "perfection"
has led me to do on most projects 30%-40% machine tools and the remaining by hand.

I use the technique that is quickest, easiest, and produces the best work that I can do.

Charles Wiggins
12-19-2013, 12:13 PM
I noticed a small oddity: the Amazon link shows 52 reviews, all rated "5". That seems odd - every single review is a 5? That doesnt happen often - perhaps the author's fan club doing the reviews

Did some spot checking. A lot of first-time reviewers, but several also have a review history. I am sure the "fan factor" is a part of it, but I wouldn't discount Marc's skill as a writer and teacher.

ryan carlino
12-19-2013, 12:32 PM
I have the book and read it. It goes pretty fast and would be great for a power-tool only user to expand their horizons. Marc presents his approach to doing the "heavy-lifting" with power tools and the joinery refinements with hand tools.

Jim Andrew
12-19-2013, 9:15 PM
Question, does he have a section on how to use a euro slider table saw? The salesman says the book that comes with the Hammer K3 Winner is crap as far as explaining how to use your slider.

John Downey
12-20-2013, 3:28 PM
You can hire reviewers to boost your score at Amazon and similar vendors. Not saying this was done in this case, I haven't looked at either the book or reviews, it's just a known thing. My wife reads lots of Amazon reviews and pointed it out to me. Usually 4 and 5 star reviews by new reviewers with fairly generic text.

Matt Stiegler
12-20-2013, 3:39 PM
I think it's unfair to the book's author (who, for the record, I have zero connection with) for this thread to devolve into public speculation about the authenticity of its Amazon reviews. I'm guilty too, I repent.

For myself, I'm just interested in opinions about the book itself.

John Downey
12-20-2013, 7:27 PM
I think it's unfair to the book's author (who, for the record, I have zero connection with) for this thread to devolve into public speculation about the authenticity of its Amazon reviews. I'm guilty too, I repent.

Quite right, we got off track. No reflection intended on the book's author.

ryan carlino
12-21-2013, 11:06 AM
Nothing on Euro machines in there or sliders.

Frederick Skelly
12-21-2013, 11:39 AM

I absolutely agree Matt. My apologies for bringing it up in the first place.
Fred

Jim Matthews
12-21-2013, 12:08 PM
Have a look at Jim Toplin's "The New Traditional woodworker".

Plenty of experience, both teaching and building behind that.

Stew Hagerty
12-21-2013, 1:29 PM
Have a look at Jim Toplin's "The New Traditional woodworker".

Plenty of experience, both teaching and building behind that.

I have both, but I just got Mark's book so I can't comment on it yet. I am anxious to read it though, because he seems to be a very good teacher. As for Jim's, it is quite well written and contains a wealth of information. An excellent read.