PDA

View Full Version : Field Trip To Cartersville

Art Mann
12-18-2013, 6:00 PM
My wife and I took a detour through Cartersville, GA today on our way home from the family farm. We met sales manager Jim Haga and got him to give us a tour of the Camaster shop. The place is much cleaner and nicer than I expected. It turns out that they get all the nasty welding and painting of the framework done at another shop that specializes in this type of fabrication. They only do the precision machining and final assembly there. This makes for a very clean efficient business. All in all, I was very impressed with their operation and I have seen several similar shops when I worked as a manufacturing engineer in the automotive industry.

Their products are also quite impressive. I was particularly interested in the Stinger I model and did a lot of reading and video watching on this unit prior to our visit. The photos, videos and specifications just don't do it justice. Even though it only has a 2' X 3' cutting area, it is made to the same industrial standards as their big machines. If anything, I would say the unit is actually over built for its intended purpose. The welding, machining and paint job were just beautiful.

In the end, I just ordered a base model Stinger I on the spot. I have been going back and forth for 6 months now on which unit to buy and this little field trip convinced me. I would recommend that anyone who is close enough and is looking to buy a first class CNC router of any size, contact Camaster and arrange for a tour. Jim Haga is knowledgeable and easy going and there is no heavy handed sales pitch. It was a very enjoyable experience.

Mike Heidrick
12-18-2013, 7:28 PM
What shop is doing the welding and painting do you know?

Art Mann
12-18-2013, 8:11 PM
That is a question for Jim Haga but as best I can recall, he said it was in the same town. Cartersville isn't a big city but I noticed a lot of nice looking welding, machining, powder coating and similar kinds of shops.

Gary Campbell
12-19-2013, 6:52 AM
Mike..
We use 2 shops to do the welding, depending on frame model. The horizontal milling on 8' and longer models is done by the shop that builds our Cobra frames. Powder coat is done by a 3rd shop. They are all within few miles of our location and do very nice work. I don't feel that their names need to be public.

Bruce Page
12-19-2013, 2:02 PM
Art, you will not regret going with the Stinger 1. I hemmed & hawed for two years before buying mine, and positively love it. I have a high end machining background and appreciate machinery that does what it is designed to do without having to fuss around with it. The Stinger fills the bill beautifully.

Art Mann
12-19-2013, 10:28 PM
Having seen it up close, I am very confident the machine will work like I hoped. I have also spent a good bit of time on the Camaster website and seen the kind of support they provide their customers. I am confident that I can get help and advice quickly if I need it. I still believe my other option, which was a CNC router Parts kit, is a good choice for some people. I just didn't want to spend the time building and tuning a machine when I could be using one instead.

james mcgrew
12-20-2013, 7:37 AM
I thought I would post a few pics from my visits to Cartersville, the one on the trailer is my new ATC 508 I picked up in March. well worth a trip to the Plant, A CAMaster is an investment in Good machinery that holds its value and does the JOB !!

Mike Heidrick
12-20-2013, 6:30 PM
Cool Pictures. Thanks for sharing!

bobby milam
12-21-2013, 12:26 AM
I saw the Stinger1 and a cobra along with a shopbot in person. You are so right. They are nice in the pictures but it really is something that you need to see in person to see how rugged the camaster is made. I wanted to order one right then also and came very close to doing just that. As soon as I get the business up that I am confident in financing or come up with the cash, that will be my next cnc. Yes they are a little more but when you see one you can justify every penny. I've been folowing their forum ever since then and it looks like the customer service is just gravy on top. If anyone is in the market, I'd find someone with a camaster to look at in person before making a decision.

Congrats, on the new stinger. I am envious.

So yours should be one of the new upgraded 2014 models then. I'll trade you a shark for it. lol

Art Mann
12-21-2013, 12:45 AM
Yes, the new version Stinger I is shipping and has a ball screw Z axis, upgraded motors and an upgraded drive system.

Mick A Martin
12-23-2013, 9:31 AM
Art,
I would strongly advise the FTC option if you can afford it, all you have to do is change the router bit and press enter, the CNC will automatically measure the tool length and set Z0 on top of the material or on top of the spoilboard.

Jerome Stanek
12-23-2013, 2:24 PM
What was the shopbot there for to compare are do they make parts on it.

bobby milam
12-23-2013, 11:25 PM
What was the shopbot there for to compare are do they make parts on it.

If you are referring to my comment, it was at McGrew's vectric workshop that he held. His Cobra was there and both Camaster and Shopbot were invited to give demos of their machines. They both brought a table top and had their reps there to answer questions and give demonstrations.

james mcgrew
12-24-2013, 7:41 AM
This is what Bobby is refering to for those who would like to see them, My camp is open to all who Practice the culture o Vectric !! My Shopbot and Camaster "Buddies, Botters, Creeker's Carvewriter's and Camheads" are some of our largest groups represented, although we have our fair share of "DIY's" "Big Iron" and those who are just still kickin tires !!

David Warkentin
12-26-2013, 4:38 PM
Smart move on the Stinger! Mine is working right now...

Art Mann
12-27-2013, 6:13 PM
Thanks David. I wish I had caught yours on sale on the Camaster forum before you decided not to sell. I think it was a smart move on your part to keep it even though you may be away for a while.

David Warkentin
12-27-2013, 10:02 PM
Still here.... Probably won't be going now for some years. I haven't been using the machine much. I've been roasting coffee.:)

james mcgrew
01-26-2014, 9:17 AM
Found a Nice Video of the Plant tour on You tube I had never seen !! Pretty well done for those who cannot travel there

Search You tube Camaster Factory Tour

Art Mann
01-26-2014, 9:36 AM
If all goes as planned, I will be picking mine up at Cartersville this week!

Bruce Page
01-26-2014, 1:47 PM
If all goes as planned, I will be picking mine up at Cartersville this week!

Art, post some pics. I wish I could have picked up mine but my truck wasn't up to the trip.

Gary Campbell
01-28-2014, 10:05 PM
Art...
Hopefully you haven't scheduled your pickup for Wednesday. CAMaster wll be closed due to weather on Wednesday, and reopen Thursday at 8:00 AM

Art Mann
01-29-2014, 12:31 AM
Hi Gary!

I had, in fact, scheduled to pick up the machine Wednesday afternoon. :( I was supposed to get an introduction to the operation of the machine from Luke but he already sent me an email telling me about the closure. Based on the road reports I'm seeing, I'm not sure I could get there anyway. I will give the office a call Thursday morning to reschedule pickup.

Gary Campbell
01-29-2014, 8:28 AM
Art...
Plan on Thursday. Your machine is ready. We have a 2 day training session on Friday and Saturday, so Luke won't be available those days. We are looking forward to meeting you.

Art Mann
01-29-2014, 9:38 AM
Thursday it is! The weather forecast for Cartersville looks really good. I was already aware that Luke will be preoccupied with the class. I had considered signing up but decided I would benefit more from going to a class if I have a few weeks to become familiar with the machine first and develop a set of questions based on actual experience. I hope to meet you tomorrow.