PDA

View Full Version : Power steering pump whine......

Dennis Peacock
12-18-2013, 2:18 PM
OK...can someone please tell me why a power steering pump whines?
My next brilliant question is this:
If I replace a power steering pump, how do I make sure all new fluid makes it into the entire system and leaves no air in the system?

Inquiring minds want to know. :)

Dan Hintz
12-18-2013, 2:57 PM
Getting low on fluid?

Unless a system allows for air bubbles to bleed upwards, there must be a valve or bleedpoint at the far end of said system (brakes are one such example).

Kevin Bourque
12-18-2013, 3:11 PM
Did you try changing the fluid? You do this by sucking all the old fluid out with a turkey baster and then adding fresh fluid. Also check to see if the belt is worn or loose.

John Huds0n
12-18-2013, 3:12 PM
How old is the car? Power steering fluid is one of the fluids that is almost never changed. Make sure there is enough oil in reservoir and other than that, there is not much you can do other than replacing the pump

Bleeding your power steering pump is similar to bleeding your brakes. The pump has a high pressure hose (that has crimped fittings) to the steering rack and the return line (low pressure hose) is usually attached with hose clamps. When you replace the pump, do not attach the low pressure line to the pump - instead just place it in a jar or other container and slowly turn the steering wheel from lock to lock (front of the car jacked up so tires are off the ground) while you add fluid to the reservoir, making sure it does not go empty

Steve Rozmiarek
12-18-2013, 3:34 PM
Usually it's wearing out when the whining starts, most are a gear pump, and there is wear starting which makes the noise.

Dennis Peacock
12-18-2013, 3:35 PM
Yes, I understand. I just bought a used car for my son. 2003 Chevy Cavalier in great shape in body, interior, everything works, and motor is strong and runs very well. Removed old PS fluid and put in fresh fluid. Still have the whine. So now...I'm looking at replacing the pump and pushing new fluid through the entire system. Make sense? Am I going about this correctly?

Steve Rozmiarek
12-18-2013, 3:58 PM
Thats how I would do it Dennis. Try to take a hose loose as low as possible to encourage as much oil to drain as possible in case there are some metal particles floating about. I wouldn't get crazy about it though, what comes out is probably good enough. Should fix it easily.

Mel Fulks
12-18-2013, 3:59 PM
Sometimes transmission fluid is used to top off or even fill after repair,etc. If the spec calls for POWER STEERING FLUID using wrong stuff can cause squeal . I've seen ,and heard it. Was alerted to fix by a most knowledgeable service writer who also had been race car mechanic .

Myk Rian
12-18-2013, 5:33 PM
All you have to do is turn the wheel right lock to left lock several times to pump the fluid through and remove air.
You do not put ATF in a power steering system, unless the manufacturer specifically says it's OK to do so.

Jerome Stanek
12-18-2013, 5:39 PM
You do not bleed power steering pumps just do as Myk says I have replaced many a pump

Dan Hintz
12-18-2013, 6:41 PM
Sometimes transmission fluid is used to top off or even fill after repair,etc. If the spec calls for POWER STEERING FLUID using wrong stuff can cause squeal . I've seen ,and heard it. Was alerted to fix by a most knowledgeable service writer who also had been race car mechanic .

Yep... I just replaced the steering fluid in my 370Z with Redline D6 ATF. When I saw tranny fluid recommended I thought the person was crazy... but on further thought, it completely made sense.

Jason Roehl
12-18-2013, 11:19 PM
You do not bleed power steering pumps just do as Myk says I have replaced many a pump

+2.

Power steering pumps are not the same as a brake system. Power steering systems are a recirculating system (hence the high- and low-pressure hoses, which hydraulic brakes don't have). Top off the reservoir, turn the wheel lock-to-lock 3 or 4 times, then top off the reservoir again.

Some power steering pumps just whine. Ford trucks from the '80s and '90s were infamous for this. There were/are aftermarket pumps available that didn't whine, or pumps from other models that could be made to work with a hose fitting or two, but it was purely a cosmetic issue. I've put several hundred thousand miles on these trucks without replacing the whining pump.

John Huds0n
12-19-2013, 2:33 AM
If your not going to 'flush' out the system - you should consider installing a filter in the return line to protect the new pump (probably the instructions that come with the pump will recommend it)

Jerome Stanek
12-19-2013, 5:59 AM
Your owners manual should tell you what kind of fluid to use.

Jim Matthews
12-19-2013, 7:28 AM
I thought whining from the engine bay indicated a loose, or slipping drive belt.

It takes something moving at high speed through air to make that noise.

Rod Sheridan
12-19-2013, 9:34 AM
My Caravan had a whine when I bought it off lease with very low mileage. Some of them whined, nothing wrong, ran it for another 260,000 kilometres........Rod.

Rod Sheridan
12-19-2013, 9:35 AM
Not on a Chrysler, many of the pumps whined for the entire life of the vehicle, like my 2003 Caravan...........Rod.

Dennis Peacock
12-19-2013, 12:46 PM
Well, I did find it interesting that when we got the rental van from Enterprise Rentals, the power steering pump whined with a fairly loud whine. I'm talking about a 2014 Dodge Grand Caravan that had 1,096 miles on it when I picked it up. I'm still driving it at the moment because the LOML's van is "still" in the body shop. Her van has been in the shop being repaired since 2 Dec 2013. So once again, Thank you to the person who turned into our entire drivers side of the van while we are in the turning lane.