PDA

View Full Version : Moisture Meter?

Kevin Gerstenecker
05-18-2003, 7:31 AM
I am looking to purchase a Moisture Meter. I want something that will measure accurately, and in looking around, there seems to be a wide range of meters and prices. I value the opinions of the Sawmill Creek Gang, and wanted to see what y'all thought. Pinless would be nice, but a pin type meter seems to be less expensive, and that is the route I may take. What would be a good meter for under $100.00, and where is the best place to buy? Thanks in advance for any and all advice/ideas! :)

Patrick Lee Hiatt
05-18-2003, 9:55 AM
I have the timber check. I bought it last year to check some reclaimed pine and I now use it all the time. It comes with a easy to use conversion chart. The price is great on this little unit its only like $69.00 I think. Anyway its one of the cheaper units but it works great, I have checked it against a freinds 200+moisture meter and we get the same reading.
The timber check is a pin type meter so it works good on rough lumber as well as plained stock.

Jim Becker
05-18-2003, 10:47 AM
Part of your task is to decide whether or not you want a "pinned" or "pinless" meter. I happen to own a Wagner pinless and it does everything I ask of it. For general shop use, the Mini-Ligno is probably one of the best choices, however, when it comes to cost and utility. It's a pin-type meter, but doesn't really make much of a noticable mark on the material...which is inconsequential on rough lumber anyway, IMHO.

Bill Roland
05-19-2003, 3:40 PM
This may help you decide which type of meter to buy.
http://www.electrophysics.on.ca/meters.htm