PDA

View Full Version : ReStore comes through again

Lonnie Gallaher
12-18-2013, 1:27 PM
The Habitat for Humanity - ReStore has yielded another great find. I picked up two bit braces yesterday. A very nice Millers Falls 1710 and Stanley 923 10".

Both are in great working order. The stanley is spotless while the Millers Halls will need some gentle cleaning. $2 and $3 respectfully. I am happy, because I have been looking for one to use as a screwdriver. I will order a hex bit adapter and be in business. Of course, I will have to buy some bits as well.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
12-18-2013, 5:53 PM
I keep a hex bit adaptor chucked in my small brace constantly. I find the 6" is my favorite for driving screws over the larger braces, but the larger do come in handy - the 12" pexto worked really well to flush seat the screws when putting up hardie-backer when doing our tiled shower when we didn't time things quite right with the powered drill. My dad had a knack for hitting the screws with just the right oomph, backing off the speed at just the right second and sinking them perfect - me, not so much.

I ordered the bit adaptor from LV, I ended up having to drop another magnet into it to get it to hold bits well. There's still a little more play in the hex end of it than I'd like, though. Depending on the brace, you can readily use a hex shank ended adaptor, however - just make sure two opposite corners are against the notches in the jaws. A square-tang fits better, but unless you're really driving something stubborn, I don't think dropping a hex-end one in there is going to much things up too much.

Jim Koepke
12-19-2013, 1:30 AM
My smallest braces are 8" sweep. I have a few of the flat "screw drivers" that come with hose end kits. They are just the right size for driving inserts into pieces so they can take a 10-32 fastener.

Some of the old style counter sinks with a slit cut in a cone can be sharpened and work great in a brace.

jtk