PDA

View Full Version : New Chainsaw

Tom Megow
12-18-2013, 12:09 PM
Hey Turners
My 40 y.o. Homelite died this week (I loved that ole Bow Saw)
The only dealers locally for me are Stihl and Echo
The Echo dealer was listed by Husky as a local dealer but he said, he quit them because their product are not
what they used to be.
I had hoped to get something in the 50 -60 cc range to be able to handle the occasional huge log that becomes available
The puts me well past $600 up to $900 with some models.
Obviously it's be along time since I have shopped for a Chainsaw.
My wife loves the small bowls I am learning to make on my Delta 46-460.
I'd like to up-grade to a lathe with a large swing ASAP
but other toys seem to be needed first. A real bandsaw comes to mind
I am not sure what my budget is but can and will save up to buy a good product that will last
OBTW will modern gas/ethanol be harmful to it ?
Thanks
Tom
Alabama

John King
12-18-2013, 1:20 PM
Stihl all the way. Save your money until you can buy one that meets your needs. You will never regret it. - John

Terry Beadle
12-18-2013, 2:09 PM
I bought a Stihl leaf back pack blower last year. What a great tool !

It's not a chain saw but I think they put out a great product.

Jim Laumann
12-18-2013, 2:34 PM
Tom

Had a Homelite years back - when it died I bought a Stihl - MS270 - 16" bar - plenty of saw for my needs (most of the time). Have had it for several years now - one issue w/ it - the coil went out (no spark to the plug) while under extended warranty - the part was covered, but not the labor. :(

You can use ethanol - but be sure it's E-10 - nothing else. Better is straight gas - I've been using premium no-lead in all my two stroke engines for the last year or so - no fuel system complaints.

HTH

Jim

Roger Chandler
12-18-2013, 2:48 PM
Use non ethanol gas if at all possible!!! Both Stihl and Husqvarna recommend non ethanol. My dealer is a servicing/repair dealer for both Stihl and Husqvarna........they told me that 90-95% if the issues that require repairs is because of gas issues. He carries both lines of products, both saws, blowers, trimmers and also mowers from Husqvarna.

I bought a Husky 390 XP last year........a professional timber saw........lots of power and I also have a Husky 359........both are real workhorses. My dealer told me that they just have had such performance from the professional husky's that he recommended it over a similar size Stihl. I have a friend who runs his own logging business, supplying logs to the sawmills in our area and in WVA. He switched to Husky after three different Stihls broke cranks in the engines. That was about 5 years ago..........he only uses Husqvarna now, and has had good success with really heavy duty usage.

Just some info for you to consider.........I do think Stihls are very good saws as well........just get a pro model, not one of the homeowner low end ones, and most any chainsaw you get from either will do all you need for cutting logs!

Doug Herzberg
12-18-2013, 7:14 PM
I have a 10 year-old Stihl MS180c, which is a little limb and trim with a 14" bar, and a Stihl MS290 Farm Boss with a 24" bar, which is more than enough for anything to do with the wood I turn. The bigger one is nice for felling, ripping, and cutting up firewood, but I still go to the little saw most often. I have back issues, so I don't want to carry more saw around than I have to. They still sell the 180 with a 16" bar for around $200, I think. Well worth it while you're waiting for the money for the big one, IMHO. I'll certainly get another when mine finally dies.

I had a Homelite homeowner saw once, but it didn't last long. I think Echo makes real saws and a separate line to sell in the big box stores. Stihl has light duty, medium duty, and lumberjack lines, all at the dealer. I did not want to spend what it took for the pro models, but I haven't been sorry about either of the Stihls.

My dealer says only premium gas. I haven't seen non-ethanol around here, but I wouldn't try the 15% stuff. Good luck

Tom Megow
12-18-2013, 7:15 PM
OK I found Dolmar dealership is in my area as well. Y'all have any experience with these
Thanks for the gas advise!

Michael Mills
12-19-2013, 9:38 AM
I have the Husky 455 Rancher (55cc) and it has done me well. About $400 but I have seen it on sale occassionally in the $350 range.

carl mesaros
12-19-2013, 9:53 AM
Hello. I recently purchased a Sthil MS261 with an 18" bar.(Can handle up to 20")This saw is the smallest in their professional line. I was attracted to the light weight (11.7 lbs ) along with being very powerful. I think I paid around $550 last winter. The ethanol issue is as mentioned above causes 90 to 95% of issues with any outdoor power equipment. I use a good quality stabilizer in my gas and try to keep it fresh.

Kyle Iwamoto
12-19-2013, 10:42 AM
+whatever on a Stihl or Husky. OR buy those big box store saws for cheap knowing they are pretty much a Bic lighter. Disposable. They work, but not as good as a Stihl or Husky. You will spend more money in the long run replacing them.
Ethanol gas really ruins small engines. Drain out all the gas in the tank, and start the saw to get the gas out of the carb. Storing a saw with gas in the tank, whether etahanol or not, is also bad.

Scott Hackler
12-19-2013, 10:43 AM
I bought a Husky 343? from our local authorized dealer and it's a beast. With a freshly sharpened chain it will rip a log in half like a knife through butter and never bog down. I don't regret the $380 (or so) at all. Kinda funny but when I first got it, I started it and sat it on the ground and watched it shakinging from the compression of it running. Remined me of a hot rod with a 3/4 race cam, just lobing at idle!

Mark Patoka
12-19-2013, 10:50 AM
I have a Stihl MS310 with 20" bar for cutting blanks and lots of firewood. With a sharp chain it works great and I'd recommend Stihl to anyone.

My Stihl string trimmer had carberator issues and the dealer said it was the ethanol gas that does cause problems. They sell an additive I've been using to negate the ethanol so we'll see how that holds up over the next few years. Getting ethanol-free gas doesn't appear to be an option in my area.

Bob Bergstrom
12-19-2013, 2:58 PM
I have a stihl 362 for cutting in the field, but a Makita electric in the shop. Haven't used my bandsaw to round blanks in quite a while. Twice around cutting the corner off and put it on my 3520. It is almost round after the sawing. Electric chainsaw is much cheaper way to cut bowl blanks. Makita 16" with 14 amp mother is best bang for the bucks. I

Sid Matheny
12-19-2013, 3:08 PM
You can go to this link to find ethanol-free gas.

http://pure-gas.org/

Sid

Michael Poorman
12-20-2013, 9:00 AM
I have a husky 55 Rancher with a 20" bar and a ripping chain I bought used. I also have a Stihl 026 with an 18" bar and a ripping chain that was given to me. They are both great saws, but when it comes to slabbing a log I always go for the husky. Sure, it has a slightly bigger engine, but the saw just runs better and is more balanced in my opinion. I know lots of folks will tell you not to buy a used chainsaw, I wouldn't rule it out as an option though.

Paul Engle
12-20-2013, 11:00 AM
I ran Sach Dolmars for years in the woods and now run Husky that I am retired ... great saw !

Ralph Lindberg
12-20-2013, 11:36 AM
Additional gas comment
Both the Stihl and Husky reps I have talked to recommend the mid-grade gas, didn't think premium was worth it, but avoid the low octane.
And E0 is better then E10 and E15 (or higher) is right out.

Charles Wiggins
12-20-2013, 1:39 PM
OK I found Dolmar dealership is in my area as well. Y'all have any experience with these
Thanks for the gas advise!

I have no experience with Dolmar but when I was doing research a couple of years ago they seemed to be popular among the professionals. Hard to beat German engineering. However, I went with a Stihl MS290 w/ 20" bar because I have a full service dealer two miles from my house and when I walked in to browse it was the last day of a huge sale.

Paul Engle
12-21-2013, 10:38 AM
I have no experience with Dolmar but when I was doing research a couple of years ago they seemed to be popular among the professionals. Hard to beat German engineering. However, I went with a Stihl MS290 w/ 20" bar because I have a full service dealer two miles from my house and when I walked in to browse it was the last day of a huge sale.

That is your best bet . I got my Sachs Dolmars as the dealer lived two blocks away .... here in No Idaho ... no SD dealer so I went with Husky .