PDA

View Full Version : New Veritas sharpening jig is really great!

Alan Tolchinsky
06-09-2005, 3:47 PM
Hi All, I have the old one and the new version is so much better. It addresses the two main problems with the last one: First it is very easy to square the blade with the jig. In the old version it was tricky at best. Second is repeatability. You can set the blade in the jig at the exact angle as the last time you honed it. With the old one it was a guessing game again and it didn't work well at least in my hands. And the angle presets are very numerous. The new one also has the same 1 or 2 degree micro bevel feature which I have always liked.

All in all it's made blade sharpening more of a science and less of an art for me. I think Lee Valley really nailed it with this one. Oh yeah, I work for Lee Valley and that's why I'm saying all this. :) Right, I wish I worked for them.

Mike Narges
06-10-2005, 6:17 PM
I totally agree, the Mk II honing jig is fantastic. I never was able to consistently return to exactly the same angle. The repeatability now is bulletproof. Also the jig is able to solidly hold the this standard Stanley blades as well as chisels abd even the LV (no surprise) 3/16" thick blades used in the LV Jack and, I'm tod, the new bevel-up smoother. I feel I got my money's worth.

Best wishes,
Mike