PDA

View Full Version : Rotary Attachment causing graphics to condense at random times

Michelle Massey
12-18-2013, 11:23 AM
I have a Epilog Mini and have what seems like a common problem. I'm using the rotary attachment and while in the process of engraving several (same) items with the same graphics, some of the graphics will condense. For example, I do about three the test runs. They run fine. Run the first item, it is fine. Then the second graphic condenses and it is a total loss. Reset the laser. Do test run, it is fine. Run an item and it condenses the graphics. I lost 50% of my work yesterday.
Some days it runs completely fine, with the exact same graphic and product. Any tips for consistent work?

Michael Gonzales
12-18-2013, 11:36 AM
I have a Epilog Mini and have what seems like a common problem. I'm using the rotary attachment and while in the process of engraving several (same) items with the same graphics, some of the graphics will condense. For example, I do about three the test runs. They run fine. Run the first item, it is fine. Then the second graphic condenses and it is a total loss. Reset the laser. Do test run, it is fine. Run an item and it condenses the graphics. I lost 50% of my work yesterday.
Some days it runs completely fine, with the exact same graphic and product. Any tips for consistent work?

That has happened to me too.
It was that the product was slipping and was not turning with the rotary as it should. Check the o rings for cracking or hardening. They should feel like rubber for good sticky contact. There may also be hump or a bad spot on the product that may make it difficult for the rotary to turn. Last, check the contact as the product should rest on the o rings not the metal of the rotary.

Hope that helps

Mike g

Dan Hintz
12-18-2013, 12:33 PM
To add to Michael's post...

If you think the item might be slipping, paint a few lines on the rotary's wheels... if the lines are moving but your item isn't, well...

john passek
12-19-2013, 1:16 PM
If it is a cylinder, try putting some weight inside it, I use a little play dough in the end to add weight to the end that rides on the drive wheels. You could also try turning the item end for end so the heavy end is on the drive wheels, just rememer to flip your graphics too.

Scott Woodson
12-19-2013, 4:02 PM
I've had similar problems and one was traced back to using dish soap to coat the piece as recommended. The soap got on the rollers and caused the slippage. It was hard to get off so I switched to damp paper towels.

Erich Bittmann
12-23-2013, 1:22 AM
And I always weight every bottle. I suspect you are experiencing slippage.
go to harbor freight or any tool store and buy a deep socket set (aka ratchet) and put the largest one on the bottle that will fit though the opening and slide it to the bottom gently so you don't dent the bottle fit is single- wall.
A set will give you several sizes and you can even use two in slippery cups.

Chuck Stone
12-23-2013, 8:47 AM
Check the o rings for cracking or hardening. They should feel like rubber for good sticky contact.
Mike g

There's something manufacturers don't stress enough.. since alcohol is a great cleaning solvent, it gets
used on rubber sometimes. That will dry it out and make it lose its grip. Water alone works fine. Don't
think you can bring it back after it dries, but if you have any of that plastic dip that you put on your
screwdriver handles, that might restore some traction if you paint a bit of that on the rollers..