PDA

View Full Version : replacing head stock bearings on a 3520b

allen thunem
12-18-2013, 11:12 AM
can anyone share their experience or methods for doing this???
any you tube tutorials or threads on smc??
just doing some pre emptive work.
thanks

Reed Gray
12-18-2013, 1:15 PM
I had to get the headstock bearings replaced in my 3520A many years ago. I took it to a tool repair place that had done a lot of things for me over the years. Good thing too. They said the old bearings were rusted in place. Probably from being around all the green wood I turned. Had to haul the headstock out to the car. One disadvantage of that lathe. With my Robust, if that ever happens, I can unbolt the headstock spindle assembly and haul that down.

robo hippy

charlie knighton
12-18-2013, 4:21 PM
+1 on taking headstock to machine shop......if you got to ask us, let a machinist do it

Reed Gray
12-18-2013, 6:41 PM
I was actually able to buy the bearings locally, a new belt, and have it done for less than I could buy the parts for from PM.

robo hippy

Pat Scott
12-19-2013, 10:00 AM
How do you know when the bearings need replaced? I assume noise could be one symptom...?

Reed Gray
12-19-2013, 12:58 PM
Noise is one good indicator. The other is if you spin the spindle, it does not run smoothly, there is resistance, or vibration that you can't find any other reason for. If you can grab the headstock spindle and shake it, and you feel some movement, that is another indicator. This can all be done at slow speeds.

robo hippy