PDA

View Full Version : Worn headstock bearings Dunlap Lathe

Jim Constantino
12-18-2013, 10:37 AM
Hello Everyone
I am new to this site and new to wood turning. I was given an old Dunlap wood lathe, see attached pics. when I 1st received it I noticed the headstock bearings were worn - about an 1/16th-inch of play on spindle. The bearings or bushings were oilite bronze 3/4-inch ID and about a 1-inch OD. Local bearing shop provided replacement bearings/bushings which I installed. I have about three or four questions regarding this issue, so here goes;

1) This is where my problem starts - with new bearings in place the spindle would not fit, but dry fit before pressing into headstock the bearings were fine. I assumed the OD was somewhat oversize and compressed the bearing a little. I purchased a brake hone and honed the bearings until the spindle slipped in OK. The spindle spun freely and I ran the lathe with no load for about 15 to 20 minutes and checked the spindle still spun free which it did. I added felt to the oil cups and use non-detergent oil for lubrication. When I set up the lathe with a drive center and free center on the tail stock they were slightly out of line vertically - about a 1/16th-inch with the headstock center higher (I think, memory isn't great). Now after making about 15 small handles for Xmas presents :) the bearings are shaking about a 1/16th to 3/32nds of an inch.:(

2) I had to build a lathe stand and wanted to mount motor below lathe. As photo indicates it is on a hinged board. Since I was not sure of belt tension I added a 3/8-inch threaded rod to support the hinged board. I also used a link belt. I have searched internet about aligning a wood lathe and have come across some descriptions that include leveling the stand and the lathe base both across and along the length and shimming the headstock and/or tailstock so that the centers are in line. Any suggestions here????

3) While making the handles - mostly pizza cutter handles out of maple, I made a jig that mounts in a Penn State Economy chuck. The jig is a square block with a 5/16 lag screw by 5/16x10 metal screw in the center. I center my handle stock on drill press and drill 5/16th pilot hole, then drill another larger hole to accept the 1/2-inch insert. I install the insert then mount the handle stock onto the jig and bring the tailstock upto the center of the handle stock and tighten everything into place. It seems to work OK. I can pretty much finish each handle with the one set-up and the final cut off involves a small amount of extra sanding and the handles are complete.

4) I have no experience with lathes prior to this. No manual on setup. I have been making Xmas presents for family and friends for over twenty years so have some experience in the wood shop.

4) If I just replace my bearing again I assume I will have the same problem again. Issues are; is the belt tension a problem, is the center alignment a problem, is the jig a problem, or/and is this a lathe setup problem.

thanks in advance for any help
Jim

Harry Niemann
12-18-2013, 11:54 AM
RE: the bearing problem, I suspect the bearings were not pressed in straight. One or both were not lined up concentrically. Suggest you use a spindle shaft through both bearings as you press them in to keep them lined up. I have this same lathe with the Craftsman name. and have used it for 65 years. Bearings were replaced maybe 20 yrs ago. Belt tension is not critical, as long as you can deflect the belt about 1/2" withe your finger , it should be O.K. Too tight the belt wears or stretches, too loose and it slips.

Richard Coers
12-18-2013, 12:26 PM
I doubt if you did yourself any favors with that brake hone. You may have glazed the surface of the bearing and then it will not lubricate correctly. It could have actually left some grit in the pores of the bearing as well. Yup, align the headstock and tailstock. Level doesn't mean anything with a lathe. You would be surprised how flexible that cast iron bed is on that lilttle lathe. You can twist it and even bend it by bolting it down to something that is not flat or twisted. It doesn't need much belt tension, unless you are really agressive with the tools. Most beginning woodturners are of course, so relax the belt tension, and yourself! Not sure this free lathe is going to be cheap in the long run.

Jim Constantino
12-19-2013, 8:16 AM
Harry Richard thanks for the replys. I do not have a press to install bearings and did not remove headstock from bed. I used a threaded rod and deepwell sockets to pull the bearings into the head stock. I did not think of trying to use the spindle to help install the bearings, but that sounds like a good idea. While I honed the bearings I used wd-40 and motor oil to lubricate the hone and when I finished honing the bearing I used wd-40 again to clean and then thoroughly lubricated them before assembly. I did not like doing that, but could not think of another solution - I even froze the bearings and used a heat gun on the tail stock and had the same problem. Is it possible the bearings are not a standard size? Do I need Dunlap/Atlas/craftsman bearings?

To align the head and tail stock what do I need to do? I do not see any adjustment mechanisms. What ever piece is lower do I raise with shims???