PDA

View Full Version : My First NE Bowl

James White
12-17-2013, 10:13 PM
My first natural edge bowl. Sorry for the shallow focus. My 14 mo boy wanted to touch everything while I was trying to shoot the photos. 3 year seasoned ash blank. Bees wax finish.

10-1/4"x8-3/4"x4-1/2"

James

joe marra
12-17-2013, 10:29 PM
Hi jim, here's a photo of the bowl I did, the person that gave it to me told me it was Sasafras. Are you sure yours is Ash?

James White
12-17-2013, 10:36 PM
Hi jim, here's a photo of the bowl I did, the person that gave it to me told me it was Sasafras. Are you sure yours is Ash?

Hi Joe,

Yes I am sure. I have lots of ash around here. I have never seen sassafras though. Do you have any more with more bark on it?

joe marra
12-17-2013, 10:43 PM
Yes, I'll take a photo tomorrow and post it. Sure looks similar.

Gus Dundon
12-18-2013, 3:13 PM
Such a fine quality work. The simplicity of your natural edge bowl makes it very pleasing. Awesome!

charlie knighton
12-18-2013, 4:19 PM
looks good, be carefully of selling one with the bark on the edge......when they tire of it, .......

Jim Kirkpatrick
12-20-2013, 10:05 AM
I love it! Well done. Did you have any trouble with the bark tearing out?

Steve Schlumpf
12-20-2013, 10:11 AM
James - that's a beauty! Great job on form and keeping the bark on it!

James White
12-20-2013, 11:17 AM
I love it! Well done. Did you have any trouble with the bark tearing out?

Thank you for the comments.

Yes I did have some trouble with the bark. The worst part was all of the dust from the dry bark. I had no idea till after the entire shop had a thin coat of dust all over. I lost some bark almost immediately. But then did pretty good after that. I then lost some while sanding and finishing. I wanted to do a bees wax finish. But did not realize that that was not practical for NE since you can not spin the piece to generate heat. Lesson learned the hard way i suppose.

James

Chip Sutherland
12-20-2013, 3:21 PM
I have turned both ash and sassafras. It looks like ash to me. My sassafras was more greenish and overly aromatic. There is no mistaking the aroma factor. I have one piece of sassafras left and I had to promise my family I would turn it when they were gone for a weekend.

I really love how tight and even the growth rings are in your bowl.

Leo Van Der Loo
12-20-2013, 5:53 PM
Good job for a first NE that's for sure, I can see why Joe thinks it could be Sassafras, I have turned both, and yes the can look very similar, but they don't smell alike, Sassafras is very aromatic, I do like the smell, they don't turn alike either, Sassafras is softer than Ash, Ash bark is harder and more brittle, at least when green/wet, HTH :)