PDA

View Full Version : Need someone "sharp"

Russell Svenningsen
06-09-2005, 2:18 PM
We have recently moved to Minnesota. In Cincinnati, I had a fellow that owned a small business and did tool sharpening on the side. I have 3 sets of jointer knives that need to be sharpened. We have no one in town who does this. I'd send them to the guy I know in Cincinnati, but he recently died, so I don't think he can do it for me.

If I remember correctly, there is someone on the creek who does professional sharpening, somewhere in Arizona or something. I would appreciate an email from this person or someone who knows who I am talking about so that I may know where to send these knives. I know board policy prohibits business dealings, so I apologize for skirting the line.

My personal email: familysven@iw.net

Thanks and regards,
Russell

Steve Jenkins
06-09-2005, 3:09 PM
You are looking for Scott Whiting. His Email is scottsharpaz@qwest.net

Dan Oelke
06-09-2005, 3:34 PM
I have never used them - but "Eide Saw and Tool Service" does all kinds of sharpening. They are in Minneapolis, and happen to be hosting the next meeting of the Minnesota Woodworkers Guild. (That they are hosting the meeting is the only reason I know of them)

Good luck!

Michael Ballent
06-09-2005, 3:43 PM
You are looking for Scott Whiting. His Email is scottsharpaz@qwest.net

I am actually lucky enough to be able to go to his shop, so I do not need to ship anything :D but he has sharpened a few things for me and they are as good (if not better) than new. He even sharpened some knives me as well. Below are the particulars to get ahold of him:

Scott's Sharpening Service
5214 W. Luke Ave. Ste #7
Glendale, AZ 85301-6049

623-931-0633
800-594-7262
Fax 623-931-0767

Jim Becker
06-09-2005, 4:50 PM
Scott is a "sharp" fellow...and a nice guy. 'One of the first woodworkers I met in my travels, too!

Steve Stube
06-09-2005, 5:10 PM
Jim McKee (a SMC poster) also does sharpening. Some contact information is in this thread (bottom post).

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=154409#post154409

None carbide planner/jointer knives are .33per inch is a quote I got from him a while ago (maybe 3 months). He also does carbide blades.