PDA

View Full Version : Bowl Rest

James White
12-17-2013, 3:13 PM
I am in need of a bowl rest for my Craftsman 14" lathe. Any reason not to give this Woodtek a try? Any recommendations around that price point? Seems the Woodcraft offering has some bad reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Woodtek-830151-Machinery-Accessories-Turning/dp/B009AY5V6K/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1387307806&sr=8-9&keywords=bowl+rest#productDetails

http://www.amazon.com/Pinnacle-S-Bowl-Rest/dp/B0035YB6E2/ref=sr_1_4?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1387311140&sr=1-4&keywords=bowl+rest

James

Mike Cruz
12-17-2013, 5:04 PM
James, what probably matters most with these rests is how hard the steel is on the top of the rest. If they dent fairly easily, you'll hate the rests as your tools will not glide across them smoothly.

That said, my experience with Woodtek has been nothing but good. I think they are an underrated company. For some reason, they are one of the forgotten brands that simply doesn't get the exposure that other companies (even lesser ones) get.

James White
12-17-2013, 7:45 PM
How about this one? It would not be much more. But it is heavier. However looking at one of the photos. It looks like it may be geared for outside turning. Is that true? I am still a bit new to turning. So would this one be better since it is bigger and heavier?

http://www.novatoolsusa.com/NOVA-Woodsurfer-Bowl-Rest-9006.htm

James

Scott Hackler
12-17-2013, 8:39 PM
James, the Nova rest isn't going to be much different in the way the top edge will become dented and roughed up over time...and in doing so the tools wont smoothly slide across them. Rests with hardened drill rod on the top (Robust and I think Jeff Nicols makes one too) wont ever dent and will remain very smooth. They can be more expensive (around $100 for the Robust), but for something that will basically last forever..... is that really all that much???

But having said that, the regular steel rests are used every day by turners all over the world...including me (although I do own a couple Robust ones too). You just have to take a file to the top once in a great while and file the surface flat again.

James White
12-17-2013, 9:34 PM
The trouble with spending $100 on a rest is that. After owning a lathe for more than five years. I think I have only finished about 3 bowls. One I just finished five minutes ago. My first NE! Perhaps having a bowl rest will reduce the likelihood of having an internal catch that throws the bowl from the lathe. Therefore reducing my frustration with turning bowls. But I am not so sure that is why I don't turn more often. I think I am just more of a flat lander. I am trying to change that though.

If you where given a choice between the two rests I have posted. Which one would you choose? Are my concerns about the Nova being for the outside only valid? Or is it made for both the inside and outside?

By the way. I incorrectly stated I have a 14in lathe. It is actually a Craftsman Professional 15" x 38". The red black and silver one. Not the best machine. But not nearly as bad as the Ridgid single tube that I started with.

James

Scott Hackler
12-17-2013, 9:56 PM
James, don't beat yourself up too much. ALL turners go through this stage unless they are professionally trained or mentored from day one. Catches are generally not from the rest one uses, but from improper tool presentation and/or tools that either aren't sharp or are not sharpened properly. I would definitely advise you to look for a local club and seek out a mentor. Almost every club has seasoned turners that are willing to pass their knowledge along.

Are you turning green or dried wood?

Now as far as the rest. Either will be fine. I would probably opt for the cheaper one and if you don't own one....buy a flat file to smooth out the top of the rest once in a while. Now, the curved ones are nice, but I have to ask... are you keeping your current tool rest 90 degrees to the lathe and reaching the tool over to reach in the bowls? Or are you angling the straight rest into the bowl as you go??

Like I mentioned before, I own a Robust and it happens to be a curved rest. It's very nice, but most of the time I don't bother switching the rests out and hollow out the inside of bowls using the straight rest. It just gets moved in at an angle as more and more of the wood gets removed.

Just food for thought.

James White
12-17-2013, 10:26 PM
Scott,

Would you change your recommendation if I said I could get the Nova for the same price as the Woodtek? I am just not sure the Nova is suited for the inside of bowls.

The last cherry bowl I sent sailing was green. The NE I just finished was dry ash. I do angle the the rest into the bowl though. What happens is I don't turn for several months to a year and then think I am just going to turn out a bowl. Not!

I just started a thread with the ash bowl I just finished.

James

Scott Hackler
12-17-2013, 11:34 PM
Turning has a lot to do with learning proper techniques and practicing until you establish "muscle memory".

As far as the rests.... either will work. The Woodtek looks like it has a better curve.

Eric Gourieux
12-18-2013, 12:27 AM
Pay attention to what Scott is saying. He is spot on. We have ALL been where you are to some degree.
As far as the rest, I'd go with the Woodtek or Nova.

Mike Cruz
12-18-2013, 7:10 AM
You are getting excellent advice from Scott. Heed it...

As for catches on the inside of the bowl... When using your bowl gouge (don't turn a bowl with a spindle gouge...bad things will happen) your cuts should be going from the rim toward the center. Not from the center out toward the rim. When using a round nose scraper, you may go the opposite direction (bottom to rim).

Most importantly, are two things...one Scott mentioned and one you mentioned: Get to a local club and get mentored to learn proper technique, and turn more often. Turning once every few months to a year, even for the experienced turner will not yield great results...not to mention for a beginner. True, the experienced turner will know what he/she is SUPPOSED to do, but execution will not be as easy (because, as Scott mentioned, muscle memory will not be there).

Turn correctly, and turn as often as you can.