PDA

View Full Version : Just finished this Birdhouse

Leo Van Der Loo
12-16-2013, 11:03 PM
I had planned to use this for a birdhouse 2 years ago :eek:, as that is when I picked it up in Cuba but it never happened :o.

Today looking for some other parts I came across it again and decided to get this done NOW.

So drilled it a hole in the top and tried to hollow it out, the thing kept moving back into the chuck jaws, so put a big nail behind it and wrapped masking tape around the chuck to keep it from flying out.

That did work and I got it hollowed nicely, drilled the entrance opening and one for the perch, turned a perch and then turned the roof from Yew and then make the eyelet from thin SS wire.

Glued all of the parts together and made a whole bunch of pictures, boy that was the hardest part to do, anyway here it is :).

277310 made from a palm nut and yew.

277311 it is the smallest Birdhouse I ever made, comments are of course welcome as always :D

charlie knighton
12-17-2013, 6:59 AM
nice Leo, happy holidays, how much is that funny looking moose, that's not Rudeoff is it?????????

Dennis Ford
12-17-2013, 8:40 AM
I was thinking that the ring was a little large until I saw the picture with a coin; very impressive work.

Raymond Fries
12-17-2013, 9:02 AM
Very Nice Leo.

If you like making this type of thing, maybe you would like to try one of these:

Years ago a woman at work brought in a very small bird cage that was cut from a pecan shell. It had a door that opened. I think the builder used a dremel to cut away the shell leaving the cage like grid. I do not remember how the door was attached. It sure was a cute little cage though.

Take Care and Enjoy Life...

Leo Van Der Loo
12-17-2013, 4:39 PM
Thanks for you're reply Charlie :D, That funny moose is a Woodland Caribou, (snow shoveler) see the part on the front of his antlers, it is used for that, and it is on a Canadian Quarter, same size as the US quarter, I don't know his name Charlie ;)

I don't believe in Santa anymore :rolleyes: :eek:

Leo Van Der Loo
12-17-2013, 9:07 PM
I was thinking that the ring was a little large until I saw the picture with a coin; very impressive work.

Had to leave for a bit, grand kids were giving a performance in elementary school, Opa and Oma had to be there of course ;).

Yes you are right the ring does appear to be thick and large in the picture, must be the shine :rolleyes:, but no, it doesn't look like that in reality, the eyelet is made from thin hard Stainless Steel wire that I use that for all my Bird houses, like in these I have made before, oh and thank you for taking the time to comment on my posting :D

277371 277370

Leo Van Der Loo
12-17-2013, 9:15 PM
Thanks for the comments Raymond :D, I do make mini turnings at times, but I keep it simple something like these on the mini tray, has a dime on it for size comparison :).

Raymond Fries
12-17-2013, 10:01 PM
Those are awesome Leo. I love all of the little stuff.

Keep turning as you are really good at it.

Take Care and Enjoy Life...

Steve Mawson
12-17-2013, 11:07 PM
Leo,
That is a small house, must take a small bird. Pretty neat however I bet there is a story about where it came from.:D

Leo Van Der Loo
12-18-2013, 12:23 AM
Leo,That is a small house, must take a small bird. Pretty neat however I bet there is a story about where it came from.:D

Thank you Steve :), yup for really small birds ;), maybe next time I should get one of these instead of those :D, they would make for bigger Birdhouses :eek:

277425 277426

Richard Coers
12-18-2013, 12:30 PM
The size of that perch made me smile. You might have whittled it down just a smidge.

Leo Van Der Loo
12-18-2013, 9:53 PM
Typical result of taking a picture in this way from the front, it is well proportioned, and you will have to take my word for it, as I can't take another picture from it anymore, it has a new owner and she is pickled pink with it, and used as a necklace :D