PDA

View Full Version : D-23 Nose job & dental work

william sympson
12-16-2013, 7:39 PM
I found a D 23, 8 PPI cross cut for a whole $1. Using the Disstonian Institute, I found that it was made between 1917 & 1928 based on the medallion and etch - the "23" is inside the D. The interesting thing is that more than 1/2" was worn off the toe, but less than 1/8" at the widest part of the plate. I fixed the toe by cutting it off, yielding a plate length of about 20" or so, and taking non-traditional liberties with its shape. The tote was painted, but it still has its horns along with a few dings. So i'll get it stripped and refinished.

My question is on the filing. The teeth are in decent shape but I'd like try a hybrid filing, like a sash saw, so that I have a single saw to use and maintain.

Has anyone tried this was a hand saw? If so, please share the good, the bad, and the ugly, along with the configuration and any changes you'd make.

William

Jim Koepke
12-16-2013, 9:03 PM
I'd like try a hybrid filing, like a sash saw, so that I have a single saw to use and maintain.

Has anyone tried this was a hand saw? If so, please share the good, the bad, and the ugly, along with the configuration and any changes you'd make.

William

Tried it for a while. Found the desire to have different saws for different tasks overwhelming.

At least 4 of my saws come into regular use for crosscuts and about the same for ripping. Then there are a few that only get used in special situations.

It may be possible to have one saw for all cuts, but saws are fairly cheap in the wild so why limit your choices?

jtk

william sympson
12-17-2013, 7:56 AM
Jim I suspect you're correct in the long run. I don't get out much to rust hunt and the pocket book is a definite limit on new or restored - finding this quality of saw was just luck. At this point, assuming it works fairly well, I see it as stepping stone and a learning opportunity. If it doesn't work, I can change it. I suppose simplicity and my own sense of efficiency of tools are factors.

You said the "desire to have" different saws pushed you - is that to say that the hybrid filing worked well or well enough?

William