PDA

View Full Version : Bongo plans...

Steve Vaughan
12-16-2013, 5:37 PM
Hey all, I'm thinking I'd like to build me a set of bongo drums. Can you direct me to where I can get plans for that as well as hardware? I'm doing a lot of woodturning right now, and that's what I'd like to see about doing here with the bongo set. Thanks for any help you can point me toward!
A forum search here didn't turn anything up for me, unless I didn't do that correctly, and Google search didn't help either.

Julie Moriarty
12-18-2013, 2:31 PM
I saw something on Discovery or one of those channels about making conga drums. My web search on bongos turned up a 10 year old kid making something for school. :rolleyes: And I thought the Internet had everything.

But there's much better results when you search for conga drums. Bongos are kind of a mini version of congas. Here's some videos of making congas: http://www.youtube.com/user/MrSamallison?feature=watch Scroll to the bottom and there's three there.

Walt Caza
01-14-2014, 12:26 PM
Hey all, I'm thinking I'd like to build me a set of bongo drums.
Good Day Steve,
I'd like that too!
Eager to see if anyone adds anything helpful.
and Sorry that I couldn't.
shrug
w

ps
need a source for the metal (lugs, rims and rods)
and prolly coopered staves or vert or horiz layered lamination?
:P

george wilson
01-14-2014, 12:34 PM
All I wish is I could find a new show chromed dingy donger for my triangle!!:)

Sorry!! I am being an insufferable smart alec and musical instrument SNOB today!! It's the only way I can cheer myself up on this DROOPY,wet day.

P.S.: Show Chrome is extra super thick chrome put on motorcycles to make them glitzier.

george wilson
01-14-2014, 1:24 PM
How about building a tabla(sp?)? It is an East Indian drum,sort of like an oversized single bongo. But,it has a big blob of resin near one edge of the skin top. You push against the blob with your palm and can change the pitch of the drum while striking with the other hand. You can actually play the same notes as the sitar you might be following. A pretty cool drum,actually.