PDA

View Full Version : Recent Belt/Disc Sander Issue

Jon Wilson
12-16-2013, 3:24 PM

A few days ago this screw began coming loose during operation of the sander, I tightened the screw and everything seemed
to be fine until this afternoon. After just a few minutes of sanding, using both the belt and the disc, the screw came loose again.

The only thing I have done recently is started using the disc more than I did in the past. Same belts/discs as always.

I'm not so much worried as to why, but how to fix it without doing any damage to the machine or the safety.

wayne forsyth
12-16-2013, 3:32 PM
Loctite,

If you don''t have noticeable vibration. I would use Loctite or a comparable thread sealant.

Good Luck

Jon Wilson
12-16-2013, 3:33 PM
The only time it vibrates is when the screw starts backing out. That's how I know when it has started.

Bill Geibe
12-16-2013, 7:13 PM
I'm with Wayne: Loctite and maybe a star type lock washer under that screw if it will fit okay. There's no set-screw on that upper pulley, is there?

Sam Puhalovich
12-17-2013, 6:30 AM
If there's room: get the shortest set-screw that you can.
Install it first, then put the original on top of it.
Or ... there are set screws that have a small insert in the side that are vibration-proof.
For me ... I use loctite as a last resort. Too difficult to take apart for later servicing.

Mike Cozad
12-17-2013, 6:57 AM
A nylock screw should solve that problem. I googled nylock screw and it returned many types from a large assortment of suppliers. One list of those found here...

https://www.fastenersclearinghouse.com/fch/main.nsf/fSearch!OpenForm&Start=1&type=B&Cat6=FLE48D55193315;&desc=nylok;

Bill Huber
12-17-2013, 9:08 AM
If there's room: get the shortest set-screw that you can.
Install it first, then put the original on top of it.
Or ... there are set screws that have a small insert in the side that are vibration-proof.
For me ... I use loctite as a last resort. Too difficult to take apart for later servicing.

I don't think you would want to put a set screw in there first, that would just keep the screw from being tightened.

The Blue 242 Loctite is what you want to use, clean the threads and then use the Loctite, not the red.

Charles Lent
12-17-2013, 9:39 AM
+ 1 for the Blue 242 Loctite. It's the best way to fix this.

Charley