PDA

View Full Version : Picture of milled dogwood & question

Harry Thornton
06-09-2005, 11:37 AM
I found a guy here in Atlanta that has a Woodmizer portable sawmill and he graciously cut up a dogwood stump for me. I had hoped it would have a lot of crotch wood but it did not; some but not much. It did have a bunch of burls on the outside but nothing big enough to do anything with. The wood does have a very interesting grain and beautiful colors.

Question: other than cabinet shops, what would be a good source of cheap/free sticker material? Thanks...pictures to follow.

http://home.comcast.net/~hathornton/burly.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~hathornton/crotchwood.jpg

larry merlau
06-09-2005, 12:15 PM
harry you can use furring strtips that are easily gotten at the borgs or a local lumber yard.. anythng that is dry and the same dimension will work dont use painten lumber though..and stick it every 16 to 18 inches. the furring strips are like what is used to staple ceiling tile to or to fur out a basement wall for new paneling.

Ole Anderson
06-09-2005, 12:21 PM
How big is that slab? Oops, now I see, a bit bigger than the wheelbarrow it is sitting on.

Correct, that is some great grain pattern, would make a nice table top if you can dry it without splitting.

Jim Becker
06-09-2005, 1:32 PM
Dogwood will move BIG TIME...be sure you get weight on your pile after it's built and stickered properly with good air flow. The weight can also hold down the piece of tin or ply your use as a roof at the same time.

James Carmichael
06-09-2005, 1:55 PM
I forget what it's called, but the composite decking material at Lowes makes good stickers. Since it's not wood it won't move or stain. Sticker each end and every 12 - 18" in between.

Harry Thornton
06-09-2005, 5:29 PM
I have arranged to get some free sticker wood tomorrow. I have some buddies with a cabinet shop. I like that table top idea. It would make my wife very happy. My hobby is making turkey calls and I think, no, I know she would like something for her...damn the turkeys! This is going to be a trying decision as most of the crotchwood is in that one piece. Hmmmmmm.

Steve Stube
06-09-2005, 8:37 PM
I have used 1"x2" strips of Dow Styrafoam as stickers - free leftover scraps from a building project.