PDA

View Full Version : Need a Smooth Plane

Prashun Patel
12-16-2013, 11:19 AM
I'm in the market for a #4 or #4 1/2 smooth plane. I own Bevel Up #3, and LA Jack, so I want a bevel down for this one. I used to own the Veritas BU smoother, and am just not interested in bevel up for this one.

My Holy Grail is the LN #4, but I notice the Veritas offerings are quite less expensive.

1) Has anyone used BD smooth planes from both manufacturers? Pros/cons?
2) Does anyone use a 4 1/2? I notice LN's is cheaper than their #4, which tells me it's not as popular.

Sean Hughto
12-16-2013, 11:35 AM
I notice LN's is cheaper than their #4, which tells me it's not as popular.

Umm, I don't think so. Are you sure you are not comparing the bronze 4 with the iron 4 1/2?

Chris Griggs
12-16-2013, 11:36 AM
For "new" BD planes I've only handled the LNs not the Veritas. Performance will be equal so I'd honestly make this decision solely based on ergonomics...especially considering how much use a smoother this size will see (a lot). If you like the the tote on your LA jack ( you have the Veritas correct?) better than on vintage Baileys you've used, I'd say go for the Veritas. If you like the totes on the vintage baileys more than your LA Jack I'd say go LN.

BTW, the 4 1/2 is $25 less than the bronze 4. The bronze adds to the price. The iron No. 4 is $25 less than the 4 1/2. Though, if you decide to go LN I wouldn't let $25 be the deciding factor in which you get.

(Personally I like No. 4s)

Chris Vandiver
12-16-2013, 11:36 AM
LN's iron #4 is $25 cheaper than the iron #4 1/2. The #4 1/2 is not available in bronze. I have used the Veritas 4 1/2 bd, nice plane but I prefer the LN.

Shlomo Hoffmann
12-16-2013, 12:04 PM
Prashun - tried to send you a private message - your mailbox is full... Shlomo.

Jeff Bartley
12-16-2013, 7:05 PM
Prashun, my quiver is similar to yours.....and I'll say that the bronze #4 is my holy grail for bevel down smoothers. If I was buying one tomorrow, it'd be the bronze #4. Imagine having a plane that wouldn't rust! I could take it out on job sites without worrying about it rusting. I wonder if any of the boutique plane makers have ever offered a bronze plane?

Curt Putnam
12-16-2013, 8:51 PM
The iron will still rust.

maximillian arango
12-16-2013, 10:11 PM
Is rusting really that much of a problem with iron planes? If you maintain it and wax it shouldn't that take care of the problem sure it is a little is inconvenient but isn't that part of the fun?

bridger berdel
12-16-2013, 11:24 PM
what, never heard of planing in the rain? in fact, the rain in spain falls mainly on the plane.

Tony Wilkins
12-17-2013, 12:05 AM
Pygmallion aside, I'd go with ergonomics. I truly wanted to love the one LN BD #5 I had but it just didn't feel good in use. I have a Veritas #4 1/2 and it just feels wonderful in the hand. I know I've seen folks very determined the other direction. Both of them are well built/well backed tools.

Do you have the opportunity to try either of them before you buy?

Jim Koepke
12-17-2013, 12:41 AM
Pygmallion aside, I'd go with ergonomics. I truly wanted to love the one LN BD #5 I had but it just didn't feel good in use. I have a Veritas #4 1/2 and it just feels wonderful in the hand. I know I've seen folks very determined the other direction. Both of them are well built/well backed tools.

Do you have the opportunity to try either of them before you buy?

+1 on trying before buying if at all possible.

Lie-Nielsen will be having a tool event soon in Brooklyn, NY if you can get there.

That also lets you get a feel for the difference between the #4 & 4-1/2.

jtk

Adam Cruea
12-17-2013, 7:45 AM
Another bonus to waiting for the tool event may be that you can get the plane at a small discount.

For example, if you buy from their shop in Maine, you get 10% off, if I remember correctly.

Just curious, though. . .why don't you get a Bailey or Bedrock 604?

glenn bradley
12-17-2013, 8:35 AM
As others have said, both will serve you well; it is a matter of preference. I was fortunate enough to be at a show where LV and LN were diagonally across the isle from each other and so got to go back and forth, back and forth, to get a feel for how each plane felt and worked for me. If at all possible, get the tool you're considering in your hands. The "feel" will make your decision.

Prashun Patel
12-17-2013, 8:38 AM
Thanks for all the replies.
Adam, I have no problems with Bedrocks or even Baileys. In fact, I own a rehabbed Bailey #7 and #5 that work very well for me. I don't feel like rehabbing on this one.

Truth be told, I just love the way these two companies are run and what they stand for. I emailed LV customer service asking if I could buy a lost set screw for my LA jack, and they sent it to me for free. I asked LN if I could pay to have them repair the adjustment knob on my LN102 which I dropped. They sent me a new one for free. When that didn't work, they had me send it in and fixed it for free. I want to keep supporting them.

Adam Cruea
12-17-2013, 8:02 PM
That's why I like to support the two companies as well. :)