PDA

View Full Version : Which festool sanding discs do you prefer?

Jeff Heil
12-15-2013, 9:00 PM
I am getting a Festool 150/5 sander for christmas to add to my growing Festool Collection. I was over on Bob Marino's website to pull the trigger tonight to order my first Festool sander to replace the third Porter Cable RO that is wearing out. I have to admit I am overwhelmed by the multitude of sanding discs available. Searching online I find many opinions. I am a hobby woodworker building cabinets and furniture in my basement shop. I typically use cherry, QS and flat sawn white oak and maple in my projects as well as hardwood plywood. I was thinking Rubin or Brilliant 2, but I find great info on Granet as well online for bare wood sanding. Thinking I will order some ten packs up through 220 grit and see what I prefer before buying in bulk, but confused where to start.

I would appreciate any hands on feedback for finishing rough wood anyone can offer.

Michael Dunn
12-15-2013, 9:53 PM
I personally use the Rubin (also Rubin 2), and Brilliant. I enjoy them both. They last quite long. I've yet to try many of the other types.

On another note, try beavertools.com. They had several 50 & 100 packs on clearance. 40% off. Also they have rewards points. I've racked up quite a few and used them on other purchases. They ship quickly too.

Bob Michaels
12-15-2013, 10:00 PM
Fwiw, I've standardized on Rubin for bare wood (hardwood, soft wood, plywood) and even for removing paint from old surfaces. Not saying that's the right way to do it, but it works for me. With various Fes sanders it just made sense to me. I go through a lot of this stuff and it does get pricey but once again, it works for my way of working. One little hint, I have been using a couple of Fes hand sanding blocks which take the 6" discs with h&l. Very convenient. Also, I use only 80 (pretty rough), 120, and 220 for most work. You're on the right track...buy 10 packs and compare. you may want to consider the 150/3 instead of the 150/5. The shorter stroke gives a finer finish with 220, yet it is agreesive enough at a higher speed with 120 to do heavier work. I beat these tools up and they keep going. Hope this helps.

Jeff Heil
12-15-2013, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the great insight gentleman. I ordered some 10 packs of Rubin and Granate in 120, 180 and 220 with the sander and will see how they work for me. Bob does not have the 150/3 on his website currently and I think the 150/5 will meet my needs as I hand sand after the RO sander when appropriate.

Ken Krawford
12-16-2013, 8:12 AM
I've become a big fan of the Mirka/Abranet discs. They have a variety pack that includes: 1 ea 80,100,120, 150, 180, 220, 320, 400 and 600 grit disc to try it out.

Julian Tracy
12-16-2013, 8:35 AM
The rubin is good for bare wood, but not so great for anything else. My RO90 came with a nice asst of Granite (Blue stuff) and it's actually pretty amazing. on wood or painted or finished, didn't seem to laod up much - if I was picking one type, might be the Granite. Not sure about the Rubin II though...

JT

Peter Quinn
12-16-2013, 11:20 AM
I use rubin pretty much exclusively on bare wood up to 220, I have some mirka gold festool hole paper in the 400-800 range and it seems to last very well for sanding between coats of finish, I have some festool paper in the 400 range, maybe cristal? Loads much too fast for my taste, seems to go from fine to loaded in a heart beat, thus the switch to mirka. I have some abranet in he coarse range for heavy clean up in raw wood, that seems to go on for ever.

Mike Heidrick
12-16-2013, 2:29 PM
Mirka Abranet. Also added their transition pad between the 150/3 velcro and the paper.

mreza Salav
12-16-2013, 2:39 PM
I find Festool disks leave a lot to be desired (if I'm allowed I'd clasify them as garbage; returned bunch of unopenned packages after trying a few of them).
Abranet is much better IMO. For a little less money, I got some 3M from an industrial supplier (package of 100 was the smallest) and they are good too.

peter gagliardi
12-17-2013, 1:01 PM
I get mine from Select Machinery, but I switched to the Klingspor brand for the lack of quality in the Festool. Also, about 20-25% less money- quality is much better.

Joe Scharle
12-17-2013, 1:57 PM
+1 on Klingspor

Prashun Patel
12-17-2013, 2:08 PM
Abranet...