PDA

View Full Version : need a snow blower,suggestions?

ken masoumi
12-15-2013, 7:36 PM
I'm only 60 years old but find it tougher and tougher to shovel the snow in my front yard ,driveway.
I live in a rural area and get a lot of snow every winter so I'm thinking if I find a good powerful/reliable snow blower ,I could use it for the next few years without hurting my back.
The problem is I have a long slanted driveway that's not even paved so I would need a machine that could go up the slope,plow all the way to the top,around the car ,mail box and back down to be stored in the shed.
I just don't know:
#1) how many horse power?
#2)tracks or wheels?
#3)steerable or not?
#4)2 stage?
#5)do I need extra features like,lights/heated handles?
Too many choices (Ariens,Toro,)but the amount to spend might limit the search($1400).
Do you have any suggestions.

ray hampton
12-15-2013, 8:04 PM
tracks or wheels will depend on the snow depth
I hope that snow blowers are steer by apply brakes on one side otherwise turning the machine will require you to lean into the machine [ pull back on one side and push into the other side ]

ken masoumi
12-15-2013, 8:09 PM
tracks or wheels will depend on the snow depth
]
The depth is almost always a foot and more in Peterborough ,Canada.I have heard tracks are better for going in deep snow/high slope but isn't it harder to steer?

Sal Kurban
12-15-2013, 8:20 PM
Let us start from the easiest... You need 2-stage for sure. Second, you will need plug in electric start since engines are hard to start in the winter by pulling a cord. The 2-stage usually start from 5 HP and up. The commercial grade is usually 9-10 HP and up and my suggestion is to go with this grade. Wheels should be OK provided that they are the Ag type deep-bar tread tires or have chains.

The thrower at least should have wheel release for turning. Lights are handy especially if you live up North. For a good article you can browse the Consumer Reports especially for safety aspects.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2011/11/clear-the-snow-not-your-bank-account/index.htm

Sal.

ken masoumi
12-15-2013, 8:40 PM
Great info Sal,thanks for the link.

Phil Thien
12-15-2013, 9:05 PM
Is your driveway stone or what?

I've only ever used snow blowers on paved driveways. Does anyone know if Ken will need something special for UNPAVED?

Brian Elfert
12-15-2013, 9:11 PM
My 7.5 HP snow blower starts on the first or second pull every time even after 13 years now. I have an electric starter, but I don't even know if it works. Most of the snow blowers in your range will have electric start. I just have basic wheel drive because we don't often get a foot at a time. I have a 200 foot driveway or I would just have a basic paddle wheel snow blower.

I would watch out for some of the Chinese made engines on some of the snow blowers now. They might be fine today, but what about parts years down the road?

For stone or gravel just set the feet on the blower a bit higher to not suck up the stones.

Lee Reep
12-15-2013, 9:14 PM
I bought a snow thrower 3 years ago, right before having a hip replacement. Went to Home Depot and bought an Ariens --2 stage was an absolute requirement. (The orange color was a big plus, this being Broncos country ...) :D

Really great machine - well built, works great, starts immediately, plows thru reasonably wet, heavy snow. I especially like having the electric start. Some mornings it is just too cold to get one going with the rope start. I shoveled for 25+ years at present house, and fell enough times over the years, always on my left side, to develop enough microfractures in my hip to cause arthritis and require the surgery. I'd suggest not waiting as long as I did if you think you might need a snow thrower. :)

Jim Matthews
12-15-2013, 10:04 PM
+1 on the electric starter. I like the Tecumseh or Briggs and Stratton motors.
Mine is 8hp, which is sufficient and not too heavy.

Wider is not necessarily better, as the wet stuff will shear the breakaway pins on the drive shaft, if it's overloaded. I bought a Huskvarna 7 years ago and it has needed only oil and gas. Unless you have a twisting drive, simple is best.

Dick Latshaw
12-15-2013, 10:39 PM
My 7.5 HP snow blower starts on the first or second pull every time even after 13 years now.

Yeah, but you are using it probably ten or eleven months a year. I've heard there are only two seasons up there: Winter and August.:)

maximillian arango
12-15-2013, 11:32 PM
Have you thought about getting a 4 wheeler with a plow? It might suit you better with the unfinished driveway.

ken masoumi
12-15-2013, 11:43 PM
Is your driveway stone or what?

I've only ever used snow blowers on paved driveways. Does anyone know if Ken will need something special for UNPAVED?
The driveway is stone/gravel,but I see Brian gave me the solution on how to use the plower without sucking up the stones.

For stone or gravel just set the feet on the blower a bit higher to not suck up the stones.
Thank you Brian.

I bought a snow thrower 3 years ago, right before having a hip replacement. Went to Home Depot and bought an Ariens -
Arien is one of the brands I'm seriously considering.

I'd suggest not waiting as long as I did if you think you might need a snow thrower. :)
Last year when we moved here I realized I needed a snowblower then. I'm not going to wait another winter ,Tomorrow I'm coming home with one.

+1 on the electric starter. I like the Tecumseh or Briggs and Stratton motors.
Mine is 8hp, which is sufficient and not too heavy.

Wider is not necessarily better, as the wet stuff will shear the breakaway pins on the drive shaft, if it's overloaded. I bought a Huskvarna 7 years ago and it has needed only oil and gas. Unless you have a twisting drive, simple is best.
I saw an ad for a used commercial grade Husky,it has a joystick to control the chute,blades.haven't seen a new one though.the widest I'm looking for is 26".

Yeah, but you are using it probably ten or eleven months a year. I've heard there are only two seasons up there: Winter and August.:)
lol,we do get four seasons up here but winter feels like 6 months even though it's only 4 .:( so in a way you are right,just not as bad.
Many thanks to each and every one of you,I now have all the info I need to make the right purchase.
it will be ,around 8 to 10 HP,steerable,26" wide,2 stage Arien or Toro.
Thank you all for your help.
Ken.

rod termaat
12-16-2013, 12:47 AM
Www.Wovel.com. Better then a shovel and never have to fuss with a snow blower. No back issues. Stores easy. I done both and for my $ this is the best option. You will look like a goof but smiling ear to ear. No affiliation just a happy customer.

Jerome Stanek
12-16-2013, 7:06 AM
I had an Ariens for years until the motor froze up. I now have a yardman that has brake steering and heated handles. I have used this one for 10 years now.

Jay Jolliffe
12-16-2013, 8:52 AM
Honda HS928TA 28" Track Snowblower. This is the one I have. Works great & is easy to start....

Lee Schierer
12-16-2013, 8:58 AM
I live in the snow belt just south of Erie, PA and I have an 8 hp two stage Simplicity snow blower. I've owned it for five years now and in that time it has clogged once with wet snow. I just blew out our 100+ foot driveway this morning with 8-12" of snow at a slow walking speed. It was throwing snow more than 20 feet with ease. The knobby tires have good grip and have no problem climbing the slope of my driveway nor powering the machine through deep drifts. My snow blower has electric start, but normally I don't use it. I turn on the gas, prime it twice set the choke and give it one pull and it starts. It has a trigger release for one wheel to aid in turning the machine. It has five forward speeds and two reverse.277245

Mike Cozad
12-16-2013, 9:45 AM
Hahaha. When I used to travel there for my last employer I was convinced of the 2 seasons only I assumed they were winter and the 4th of July!

Growing up outside Denver, CO and then bouncing all over the US I have stuck with a shovel. Big storms just required multiple trips to shovel just an inch or 2 at a time so they were quick and painless. As I get older I am seriously considering a blower myself. Lots of good info so far to help in the decision. I am planning a move in another year or so, out to the country, which will undoubtedly have a longer unpaved drive. But I'm unsure whether I should get a blower or the blade, wheel weights, and chains for my Deere and do it that way. This thread has been helpful with the blower info...

Brian Elfert
12-16-2013, 9:59 AM

No, that would be Alaska. Winter is typically about four months of the year here in the Minneapolis area. We get an average of 50 inches of snow a year. The weather is typically pretty nice from about May 1st through Oct 1st or later. We get pretty hot weather for about six to eight weeks every summer. Our two seasons are winter and road construction.

I only own a big snow blower because of my long driveway. A paddle wheel snow blower makes more sense for most of the snowfalls we get.

ken masoumi
12-16-2013, 10:36 AM
That Wovel looks like a great idea,I would have considered it if I was 20 years younger.here in Ontario plowing the snow is a daily ritual ,Arien brand seem to have good reputation and will be the one I'll look at first.
I have noticed almost all the different brands that Home Depot sell are made in USA.
I'm now getting ready to go shopping for the best snowblower I could find in my price range,thank you all for all your help.

Jerome Stanek
12-16-2013, 1:24 PM
I just blew the snow this morning 11 degrees out there and one pull to start my Yardman blower. It does have an electric start but until it gets cold I don't use it.

Myk Rian
12-16-2013, 1:34 PM
We have an 8hp x 24" MTD, electric start. Blows the snow better than an Ariens of the same size.
Have had it for 10-12 years without a single problem, except for breaking a shear pin when the neighbor left a newspaper in his drive..

Val Kosmider
12-16-2013, 2:38 PM
Ariens. About 10 HP. 24" Wide Cut. Knobby tires (no chains--you don't need them as the unit clears it's own path) You don't need/want tracks--hassle. Electric Plug In Start, but I never use it--always starts on the first pull). Adjust skids to an inch high to clear gravel. Two stage. Head Light comes on when it starts. My machine is nearly ten years old and had NO issues.

Lived in the snowiest city in the US and dealt with a LOT of snow. Only challenge I ever had was when I got to the bottom of the drive and the town plow had pushed up six or more feet of very heavy, packed snow. You just have to nibble your way through.

Go see your local dealer (please do not deal with a Big Box and get their 'priced down' look alike, but not the same, model. My machine was about $900. Guessing it is close to $1200 now, but you can't beat it. I worked my machine hard (120" in December 2010 alone) , and it never let me down.

Here is the 'modern' version of my machine: http://www.snowblowersdirect.com/Ariens-921024-Snow-Thrower/p11235.html?utm_source=google+shopping&utm_medium=shop+portals&utm_campaign=921024&gclid=CLDzgr-_tbsCFYZi7AodtXIAOQ

Anthony Whitesell
12-16-2013, 3:01 PM
I saw an ad for a used commercial grade Husky,it has a joystick to control the chute,blades.haven't seen a new one though.the widest I'm looking for is 26".

I prefer to keep my equipment (and cars) basic, easy to fix, and cheap to have repaired. I would evaluate any machine or equipment, its nice-to-haves, and how it is built based on those qualities.

High HP engines (5.5HP+) are heavy to pull and even heavier when cold. There are two electric starts battery and 110V, some have both. Just remember you will run out of gas someday. If you can't pull it over and it is 110V start, you will need to fetch the extension cord.

ken masoumi
12-16-2013, 6:00 PM
Well I came home with a Ariens compact 24 LE,HD only had two of them available all assembled and ready to go,there was another elderly couple wondering whether they should get Ariens or TORO,but I made the decision for them by wheeling the one of the two Ariens away so they grabbed the other one right away.:)With the recent snow fall /cold spell two items become hard to find around here, snowblowers and car batteries,and I needed both of them Today:(.
So now I am going to read the manual and Tomorrow I'll fill the tank with clean winter grade gas and start blowing snow.

Al Launier
12-16-2013, 6:49 PM
Having owned an Ariens snow thrower since 1969 and have had great luck with them (24"/7hp & 28"/10hp), both in terms of performance, maintenance, and customer support. I'd recommend the following.

Ariens Snow Thrower
2-Stage auger/impeller.
Dual Manual/Electric starter.
Lock-Out differential.
24" Width for easier maneuvering especially on walkways.
10 hp
Chains - absolutely needed on ice! Better than the studded tires.
Raise the front end "scrape" bar with the feet so that it just clears the stones, otherwise it will grab & spit stones where you don't want them, i.e. windows.
Spare shear pins.

Dick Latshaw
12-17-2013, 10:18 PM
No, that would be Alaska. Winter is typically about four months of the year here in the Minneapolis area. We get an average of 50 inches of snow a year. The weather is typically pretty nice from about May 1st through Oct 1st or later. We get pretty hot weather for about six to eight weeks every summer. Our two seasons are winter and road construction.

Just giving you guys a hard time. I lived up there for 22 years. De La Salle and St. Thomas grad. Still remember the headline from the clip from the Mpls Star my mother sent me some years ago: 'Warmer Tomorrow, High of Ten Below'.