PDA

View Full Version : Garage Shop Cabinets - Any good plans for a beginner?

Paul Glover
12-15-2013, 4:39 PM
I want to make some cabinets for my garage. I have never made cabinets before. The plan is to make some wall cabinets with doors as well as 8' foot tall cabinets. Any suggestions for beginner?

Rod Sheridan
12-15-2013, 4:52 PM
Paul, I suggest you look at kitchen cabinet construction techniques.

I would also hang them on a French Cleat which will allow you to move them, and hang them without further hardware.

It would be a great oportunity for you to learn the 32mm cabinet making system, which you can then use again and again to make many types of cabinets for your home.

Welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy your time here.................Rod.

Paul Glover
12-15-2013, 5:23 PM
Paul, I suggest you look at kitchen cabinet construction techniques.

I would also hang them on a French Cleat which will allow you to move them, and hang them without further hardware.

It would be a great oportunity for you to learn the 32mm cabinet making system, which you can then use again and again to make many types of cabinets for your home.

Welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy your time here.................Rod.

Thanks for responding... Where can I learn more about "32mm cabinet making system"?

Lee Reep
12-15-2013, 5:52 PM
If you Google "32mm cabinets", you will find lots of articles, videos, etc. I am guessing there are some books to be found, but there is a wealth of inforamtion at your fingertips, so to speak.

Best of luck. I built a cabinet for my shop, but just a face frame with shelves -- no doors. I am looking forward to trying my hand at cabinets with doors in the next year, and will likely be looking at the 32mm system myself.

I just bought a Festool track saw last month, and am blown away by how excellent it is for breaking down plywood sheets.

Paul Glover
12-15-2013, 6:08 PM
For a beginner would the Kreg Joinery method (Kreg JigŪ) of using pocket screws be the best method for assembling cabinets?

Paul Glover
12-15-2013, 6:09 PM
If you Google "32mm cabinets", you will find lots of articles, videos, etc. I am guessing there are some books to be found, but there is a wealth of inforamtion at your fingertips, so to speak.

Best of luck. I built a cabinet for my shop, but just a face frame with shelves -- no doors. I am looking forward to trying my hand at cabinets with doors in the next year, and will likely be looking at the 32mm system myself.

I just bought a Festool track saw last month, and am blown away by how excellent it is for breaking down plywood sheets.

What model of the Festool track saw?

John Schweikert
12-15-2013, 7:01 PM
This is a decent free video on cabinet making: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klv0jzWD26w

And his youtube channel has many more useful videos. While very commercial in nature because he also sells jigs and such, still good to see one method to the building process of cabinets.

Bill Bukovec
12-15-2013, 7:27 PM
The kreg jig is great for cabinet face frames. One way to learn about cabinet construction is to look at existing cabinets, in your kitchen or a big box store.

Bill

Larry Frank
12-15-2013, 7:34 PM
I think that the suggestions made are very good and are along the line of what I made for my shop.

1. I made 32 mm euro style cabinets which do not have a face fram.

2. I used a Festool tracksaw to break down the plywood although the DeWalt is also very good.

3. My cabinets sides, top and bottom were all 3/4" plywood with a glued on sold wood front edge. I prefinished all the cabinet sides before assembly.

4. I used Kreg screws to put the boxes together.

5. My doors were rail and stile with a 1/4" panel.

There are pictures of my cabinets and more info on how I made them if you do a search on my name and "New Shop Cabinets"

If you have never done this before, I would suggest that you make some trial or learning cabinets as there is a learning curve involved. The 32 mm system requires that you are accurate when drill the holes in the sides.

Good Luck

Paul Glover
12-15-2013, 8:06 PM
I think that the suggestions made are very good and are along the line of what I made for my shop.

1. I made 32 mm euro style cabinets which do not have a face fram.

2. I used a Festool tracksaw to break down the plywood although the DeWalt is also very good.

3. My cabinets sides, top and bottom were all 3/4" plywood with a glued on sold wood front edge. I prefinished all the cabinet sides before assembly.

4. I used Kreg screws to put the boxes together.

5. My doors were rail and stile with a 1/4" panel.

There are pictures of my cabinets and more info on how I made them if you do a search on my name and "New Shop Cabinets"

If you have never done this before, I would suggest that you make some trial or learning cabinets as there is a learning curve involved. The 32 mm system requires that you are accurate when drill the holes in the sides.

Good Luck

Does this process work for making very tall cabinets as well (3' X 8')?

Jamie Buxton
12-15-2013, 8:12 PM
Here's a recent thread about books on making cabinets. SMC Search will find you more.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?210942-Framless-cabinet-book-method-suggestions&highlight=cabinets+books

scott vroom
12-15-2013, 8:19 PM
When I first started out I bought several books on cabinet making....all of which proved valuable. The first book in the list below, by Danny Proulx, includes a chapter on frameless 32mm.

http://www.amazon.com/Build-Kitchen-Cabinets-Popular-Woodworking/dp/1558706763/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1387156530&sr=1-5&keywords=kitchen+cabinets

http://www.amazon.com/Building-Kitchen-Cabinets-Tauntons-Build/dp/1561584703/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1387156472&sr=1-1&keywords=cabinets

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Kitchen-Cabinetmaker-Professional-Built-/dp/189283622X/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1387156633&sr=1-9&keywords=kitchen+cabinets

http://www.amazon.com/Building-Traditional-Kitchen-Cabinets-Tolpin/dp/1561587974/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1387156633&sr=1-4&keywords=kitchen+cabinets

There are others. My suggestion would be to pick up a few books (they're paperback and easy on the wallet) and do some reading.