PDA

View Full Version : Segmented Peppermill Christmas gift

Lee Reep
12-15-2013, 3:57 PM
I just turned my first peppermill. I decided to make a few this year for Christmas. And if I don't get going on more, this may be the only one done in time for Christmas. I was a little suprised at the cost of 3X3 blanks at the local Woodcraft, so I decided to make a segmented mill. This is made up of 3/4" jatoba, purpleheart, maple, and walnut that I ripped to about 3" width, and glued up. I started with about 22" pieces that I found in my scrap pile. I cut them lengthwise in half, and glued and clamped them. I cut the stack along the diagonal, and reversed and glued, so I'd have an angular pattern in the blanks for turning. On the left is one of the two glued-up blanks I did, showing the "before" look. This uses the shaftless CrushGrind mechanism, which require a plug at the top where you fill them.

One thing I discovered when I started turning a couple years ago is that every scrap of wood gets viewed as a potential piece to turn. :) I really struggle throwing wood into the "burn box" for the fireplace.

Raymond Fries
12-15-2013, 4:50 PM
Very Nice Gift.

Nice shape and the colors go well together.

Sid Matheny
12-15-2013, 4:53 PM
Different and I think I like it.

Sid

Lee Reep
12-17-2013, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the compliments. My wife loves it, so I better make her one this next year. Seems like I give away everything that comes out of the shop. But she did get a pizza cutter I made a couple years ago ... :)

Terry Murphy
12-18-2013, 12:49 AM
Love them!
like the way you made the plug.

Gus Dundon
12-18-2013, 3:17 PM
Nicely segmented! I like the wood combination. Well done.

Pat Scott
12-18-2013, 5:13 PM
I like the segmented look. If I had a suggestion, it would be to round over the top edge where the plug fits. Having a flat top doesn't look right to me. I would try to mimic the bottom curve so the curves flow together. If you were to round the edge over like you did the bottom piece (below the joint), I think it would look better.

I don't know how big of hole you have for the plug, but maybe a shorter plug too? As big as the plug is, someone that isn't familiar with the CrushGrind mechanism might be tempted to grab the plug and twist it instead of twisting the body.